Grounded Plasma Shield

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Grounded Plasma Shield

Postby degre » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:37 am

I've been trying to locate any study on it and I just can't find anything, here on MT I've found just an old thread which I didn't want to necro that in two pages says pretty much nothing, does anyone have any idea if the Shield is worth at all?

I've been tried mainly too look for proc's statistics to figure out how often do the stun or 100% crit could be observed, but there's nothing on the matter, maybe is just not worth wasting time to figure it out for a less then 20k shield?

Else, for a tank, what's the only viable option left? Seems to me only the cardboard assassin in trash pulls...
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Re: Grounded Plasma Shield

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:47 am

I don't think anyone has ever worked out the exact chance of catastrophic failure introduced by the Grounded Plasma Shield belt, but for most of us, any chance greater than 0% is too much, especially for the very small benefit of the shield. I personally dumped Engineering after they nerfed it into oblivion (again). Theckd is still a stalwart engineer, and he doesn't even have a tinker on his belt at the moment.

The assassin really is the only thing left, and it is not exactly the pinnacle of usefulness on bosses. I wonder if it works on Rhyo and Rag adds, come to think.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby degre » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:12 am

fuzzygeek wrote:I don't think anyone has ever worked out the exact chance of catastrophic failure introduced by the Grounded Plasma Shield belt, but for most of us, any chance greater than 0% is too much, especially for the very small benefit of the shield. I personally dumped Engineering after they nerfed it into oblivion (again). Theckd is still a stalwart engineer, and he doesn't even have a tinker on his belt at the moment.

The assassin really is the only thing left, and it is not exactly the pinnacle of usefulness on bosses. I wonder if it works on Rhyo and Rag adds, come to think.

I am starting to feel myself that whatever chance is there is just too much, but in case anyone had a look into it I thought was worth considering.
Just looking into it as earlier on an 18k absorb was cool, now I am seeing high damages and having such a large health pool that are making me reconsider.

I think I'll go for the assassin just to have something or down the total fun path with the sprint one.

Thanks god Blizzard has mentioned that there should be some love for us in 4.3, else I was tempted to reroll myself as the glove plates alone are a joke.
degre

Postby Treck » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:20 am

wouldnt the rocket boots be better than the shield anyway?
Treck

Postby degre » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:39 am

And risk being shot in the sky and loosing aggro?
degre

Postby Treck » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:52 am

Cuz stunning and critted isnt worse?
Treck

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 am

The Assassin doesn't have any downside, other than not being useful. Rocket boosts can kill you in a few hilarious ways, and may cause you to completely dump aggro. So there's that.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:31 am

Yeah, the rocket boots aren't really any better than the shield. They have a chance to burn you for something like 80% of your health.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby degre » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Treck wrote:Cuz stunning and critted isnt worse?

Yeah, when it happen is worse, but while I haven't noticed yet happening on a raid boss that my shield trigger a side effect, the rocket boots do frequently misfire.

Anyway, there is really no point discussing it. I was merely asking as, if it worked out that the chances were really low I would have kept the shield, but seeing that we're unsure of everything I'll stick to the assassin or for a laugh I'll shove in the invisibility field.
degre

Postby Treck » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:33 pm

Honestly, your healers would never really notice if your using the shield or not.
Could be used to save a wipe every now and then, but i can think of many times rocketboots could do the same tbh.
Sadly, they come with backfires, and not reliable enough (imo) to be used in pve.
On the other hand, without backfires they would be completely overpowered compared to other profs.
Treck

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice