Remove Advertisements

Not good enough for SSC MT?

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Not good enough for SSC MT?

Postby Extremity » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:26 am

I've been in my guild for a while and while they take me to every raid they still do not think I am geared enough to MT anything other than lurker. I've been trying to MT tidewalker and they say my avoidance set is not good enough. In full avoidance I have about:

31% dodge not including shaman totem or consumables.
17.5% parry
About 18k health buffed (I can get this higher at the cost of avoidance)
17.8k armor

I was always under the impression that tidewalker hit HARD but not FAST ( I've always been the murloc guy so I never really watched him nail the tank), but after reading some posts apparently it is the other way around?

I know that "hey is my gear good enough" posts are horrible but with people telling me left and right that I'm not good enough to do this it's sorta getting in my head, I pretty much have the best gear I can get for where I'm at (I think). Is there anything specifically I should work on to tank bosses in SSC? My guild is very dodge-happy but I don't know if that is the best way to go or not anymore.

Thank you for the help and sorry if this is a horrible post in the wrong area.
Extremity

Re: Not good enough for SSC MT?

Postby Io.Draco » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:22 am

its enough
Io.Draco

Postby Inferno255 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:44 am

Id say you need to drop your avoidance...like 5% and increase your health, use ironshield if you have to. Most guilds use a druid though, just makes it easier on the healers.
Inferno255

Postby Nicki » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:12 pm

Tidewalker hits fast and hard..

Avoidance is not the stat to stack though, murphys law states anything that can go wrong will go wrong. A fight like tidewalker it is assumed that he hits fast enough to go through warriors shield block and ive seen him due to the parry haste mechanic do some incredible burst.

Now if a crushing has a 15% chance and is almost guarenteed when shieldblock or holy shield is down then a normal hit when avoidance is 60% will be a 40% chance.

With a 15% chance to be crushed I saw prince double crush a druid tank 5 times to death out of 15 wipes thats alot of wipes due to taking 2 crushes in a row, so think about how valuble avoidance is when a boss hits fast and should he crush you, special you and hit you would you survive?

imagine the worst possible scenario, 8k(crush), 4k (special i think does around this much damage), 5k (hit) = 18k damage? that could happen in 2 seconds if your REALLY unlucky.
To face death and glory with an equal smile
Nicki

Postby Splug » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:52 pm

The thing about Tidewalker is that there's an offtanking role that takes extreme advantage of a paladin's multi-target threat generation. While there's no reason a paladin cannot tank Tidewalker himself (and your stats are probably superior to what I had when I first tanked him as a warrior) it does kinda waste your major advantage in the OT'ing on that encounter, unless you have two paladin tanks... in which case, there's absolutely no reason not to tank him!

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby PapaNasty » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:57 pm

^^ As per above, unless you have 2x Paladin tanks your raid is best served on tidewalker with you as OT rather than MT

Quite surprising though that you are MT vs lurker for your guild, as I had thought that he was more of a hard and slow boss, and was alot less threat dependent than other bosses

As for the other bosses, you'll again be of more benefit to your guild if you pickup adds on hydross, and on fathom lord either tank the shaman (for threat gen so dps can burn quickly) or the hunter (so you can pickup threat)

Vs Leo you can probably MT since avengers shield is good threat gen when it doesn't miss, and leo is more of a fast hitting boss anyway
PapaNasty of Barthilas (US)
PapaNasty

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern