Blizzcon predictions?..

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Blizzcon predictions?..

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:39 pm

I bet they do the same thing as 3.0 and 4.0, where the new engine goes in 3-4 weeks before the actual drop date.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:44 pm

fafhrd wrote:This isn't going to change though, different specs will still have different abilities, so you'll still have stuff like BM's AoE being poor for say Beth'tilac. The new talents just mean we'll have a different set of things to respec between fights.

Well, along hunter lines, BM will be able to have silencing shot if you want, so things can be different. We also don't know what the spell changes might be. They might fix that BM AOE mess.

Assuming they do balance the specs better, you might very well have 2 BM specs, or 2 MM specs, depending on the tree you prefer.

Way to early to get into those details more.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Lieris » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:52 pm

Did they just forget to put the raids panel on the main stage stream? :/ I think we've missed a good fifteen minutes of it.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:00 pm

Imagine fighting a holy pally in pvp now. Now look at the new talents and try to predict what you'll encounter. Many more options.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Tebin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:50 pm

fafhrd wrote:
Tebin wrote:I think these talent changes could be great, and really make raids a lot more fun. Right now raiding has a lot of "you really need an X with Y spec to do this role" (subtletey? rogue for V&T hc, hunter for beth hc explodey adds, etc)". Rather, I can see MoP raids to be more like "at this point we need movement speed buffs/snares on the adds/raidwide DR", which one of several classes can handle.

This isn't going to change though, different specs will still have different abilities, so you'll still have stuff like BM's AoE being poor for say Beth'tilac. The new talents just mean we'll have a different set of things to respec between fights.

I don't understand GC's claim that "the rogue standing next to you will have a different spec". Unless he's doing a different job (like rogue is is dpsing in P4 while rogue B is doing dreadflame), every combat rogue showing up for heroic rag is going to have the same abilities unless the choices are on a tier of abilities none of which are used for that fight. Funnily enough, every subtlety and assasination rogue on the fight will now likely also have the same talents.

Sorry, perhaps I mis-explained. What I was tryign to get at was that now they've given everyone a lot more generic utility in the form of CC removal, DR, movespeed etc; I get the feeling that encounters may be more generic in their requirements with respect to this. e.g. shamans now have a 50% DR CD on the tree, possibly for pvp or whatever, but it might have applications in a damage-spread cleave type situation. In the past some classes were just far better suited for some jobs than others - e.g. spriests for soaking crystals on bael'roc. Now maybe more classes can try these things.
Tebin

Postby Bladesong » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:05 pm

Lots of stuff we still must take and no new, fun, interesting, playful things

I like the current talent trees. I loved the old talent trees. The problem is that no matter how much Blizz tries to focus on making the choices about being fun/interesting, someone will run sims on all the talents, determine which ones give you the most dps/hps/survivability and then that will be the cookie-cutter spec. I feel bad for their designers: this game is so over-analyzed that it is nigh impossible to instill a sense of creativity in our character design :(

NOTE: I read the results of all the analysis that goes on and I act on them. I'm not criticizing people for this, merely noting the effect that it has on game design :mrgreen:
Bladesong

Postby Arkesh » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:27 pm

As much as I wished it wasn't going to be Pandas, I have to admit I'm pretty excited (not as excited as I am about Skyrim, but it's... well... Skyrim). I'm not 100% on the new talent trees, although I can see why they want to go that direction, but it seems we're one step away from choosing Prot, Retri or Holy... and then that's it. Probably won't happen... but it's a niggly feeling.

Also hoping that the beta test is a little more thorough for Monks than it was for DKs (I know it won't be perfect), I don't want a full tier to be dominated by the new tank because blizz didn't want them to feel underpowered.
Arkesh

Postby Torquemada » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:55 pm

I realize it's incredibly early, and I also realize there's a possibility I may have cancelled my sub in favor of SWTOR by the time MoP comes out, though I don't doubt I'll come back at least to see the new content for a bit. That said, I know the talents are subject to change, but I've already been considering my options.

Tier 1: Thinking Long Arm of the Law (Part of an overall strategy with Sanctified Wrath)
Tier 2: Probably Repentance (Since having a CC as a tank seems wonderful in a world where "round 'em up and consecrate" isn't viable)
Tier 3: Ardent Defender (I like proactive mitigation options)
Tier 4: Holy Shield (Can be used on self, or a party/raid member to help with survivability, as I occasionally toss out WoGs when I see someone low and I'm not in danger)
Tier 5: Veneration (Not a big user of Hand spells other than Hand of Reckoning very often)
Tier 6: Sanctified Wrath (Combined with Long Arm of the Law and 30 yard Judgments means having a gap closer, or the ability to get the hell out of fire as needed)
Torquemada

Postby Steve » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:58 pm

Looks to me like PvE scenarios will be the way they fix queue times. That plus the fact heroic dungeons won't be the only way (other than raids) to earn the currency likely means no more queues. If the queue time is longer than you'd like to wait, just pop into a scenario instead.

It will be interesting to see if LFR reinvigorates raiding. We're at the point in the game where it's an open question whether raiding is something a game interested in 10 millions subs should support to any great degree. For my own sake, I hope LFR is a resounding success.

I haven't really seen many changes that support greater sociability. There's a price being paid for the convenience of LFR/LFD. I'm not saying it's a price we shouldn't be willing to pay, but it would be nice if there were other game mechanics in place that could heighten the sense of community. I'm not convinced competitive mechanisms (like timed challenge dungeon runs or outdoor world bosses) alone are going to be sufficient.

If there are outdoor world bosses, I just pray they don't automatically use anti-zerg mechanisms like they did on the old outdoor bosses. Anti-zerg mechanisms really just turn into pro-griefing mechanisms in practice.
Steve

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:01 pm

I suspect outdoor raid bosses will turn into phased events who drop tokens of some kind.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:04 pm

Sabindeus wrote:Flex, Shoju, end this now.

Since they didn't, I cleaned up the thread a bit.

Any further flaming will result in temporary bans.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby halabar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:10 pm

Steve wrote:I haven't really seen many changes that support greater sociability. There's a price being paid for the convenience of LFR/LFD. I'm not saying it's a price we shouldn't be willing to pay, but it would be nice if there were other game mechanics in place that could heighten the sense of community. I'm not convinced competitive mechanisms (like timed challenge dungeon runs or outdoor world bosses) alone are going to be sufficient.

I agree, but the world has changed too. Look at what has happened to raiding... 40-25-10. People's social habits have changed. Gone are the days of spending 40-hour weekends on tabletop games. WoW needs to adapt as well, even though it does hinder some of the social aspect of the game.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:34 pm

I'd love to get the annual plan but you have to pay with your credit card ... paypal is not eligible

Y U NO LIKE PAYPAL
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Jeremoot » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:20 pm

This expansion bothers me. The monk seemed interesting enough that I want to play, especially when Greg Street compared it to Street Fighter.

Unfortunately, this game is just losing its thrill, and not having a big bad guy to chase after won't help with that.
Jeremoot

Postby Arnock » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:18 pm

So, I can't say that I'm following this info too closely, just glancing through the blizzcon website.

Is it just me, or does it seem like blizz is jumping just about every shark that they can jump with this expac?

Just looking at the preview panel info on the blizzcon website, this is what they have to say about the story:

Blizzard wrote:Story and Creatures
The Pandaren have a long and storied history but have been hidden behind the mists since the time of the Sundering. The discovery of this lost continent provides an opportunity for both the Alliance and Horde to meet interesting new creatures… and most likely kill them.

I mean, I know it's early on, but... really?

TBC, WotLK and Cata all had a main 'big bad' with a history founded in warcraft lore and a good reason for wanting to kill him. However, with MoP, when given an opportunity to give a short, core summary of why we're going to pandaria is that... there's new stuff to see and kill?

I don't know, I'm just getting the impression that Activision is trying to milk all of the money that they can out of WoW before it collapses under its own weight.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

PreviousNext

Return to General