Remove Advertisements

tankadin vs. shammy

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

tankadin vs. shammy

Postby corc » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:59 pm

So a buddy of mine got his shamy to 70 and I'm wondering about how to duel with him. We've both been in the game since closed beta and he's almost always been into dueling people (random and friends) and I've been into the pve aspect of the game. Needless to say, I don't duel anyone besides friends, and only to give them a break from themselves :P

I'd like to stop being such a quick kill is the thing. Do you guys have any tips or strats against an equally geared shaman spece'd either restro or elemental? (equally meaning, that whatever your uber gear is, you are fighting a relatively equal tiered gear set on the shamy)

Last time we dueled he was restro and we just ran around in circles with my using light and wisdom while he renewed his earth shield... I got bored and just tried to go all out and got him to maybe 80% before running out of mana and letting him use his fire totem :P

I realize prot isn't really a pvp spec, but sometimes people get bored waiting at meeting stones or waiting for the 5th friend to log on :D

anyway what do you guys do?
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby Minn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:49 am

If I want to beat on a shaman I play my warlock =D But seriously, if I were to actually try to beat a shaman as a tankadin, I think I'd just keep stomping totems, and have rank 1 BoW up for purge bait. If you can force him to keep spending mana on that, I think you'll eventually win the mana war. Kill grounding totem -> stun -> heal should keep you up. Ret aura is probably a good idea as well.
Minn

Postby Tranzity » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:01 am

Depends on his spec.
Enhancement is cake, Ret aura + HS + BoSanc. Watch him beating to death on your shield.
Tranzity

Postby Kvaern » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:12 am

Minn wrote:If I want to beat on a shaman I play my warlock =D But seriously, if I were to actually try to beat a shaman as a tankadin, I think I'd just keep stomping totems, and have rank 1 BoW up for purge bait. If you can force him to keep spending mana on that, I think you'll eventually win the mana war. Kill grounding totem -> stun -> heal should keep you up. Ret aura is probably a good idea as well.

Only problem being a resto/elemental shaman can typically regen mana for healing faster than you can kill him with your 200 DPS.

If he's enhancement you can sit back and watch him whack himself to death on your shield though.
Kvaern

Postby corc » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:28 am

Yeah, I can get rogues and warriors and other melee classes down OK. Mostly thinking about any damage I do to a restro shamy just gets healed back when earth shield procs :P

I'll try the bait tricks but I think he'll expect it :P
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby Barinath » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:25 pm

Tranzity wrote:Depends on his spec.
Enhancement is cake, Ret aura + HS + BoSanc. Watch him beating to death on your shield.

He speaks the truth. Enhancement you treat like a rogue, he die very fast, yes he does. Resto and Elemental, tough call. It comes down to you and him, but he has the upper hand.
As I live, I shall defend, protect, and save as many lives as I can.
Barinath

Postby corc » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:10 pm

Barinath wrote:
Tranzity wrote:Depends on his spec.

He speaks the truth. Enhancement you treat like a rogue, he die very fast, yes he does. Resto and Elemental, tough call. It comes down to you and him, but he has the upper hand.

yeah, thats why I didn't include the enhancement spec in the OP :)
Dwarf Pali on Ner'Zhul
"Mostly Harmless"
corc

Postby hamerhead » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:37 pm

Well if you just want to last a bit longer and possibly do some extra dmg to him try this.

First off I hope yoru not using tank gear its kinda a waste in pvp but having high block is nice. Thats really the only stat I use for PvP related to my tanking gear. High block = More DPS if your fighting a melee so as mentioned before they beat themselves to death. Besides that I would just wear your everyday gear since I assume you dont have any pvp gear. Khorium pants and boots are nice if you dont have those already and the Quest chest from the Bladesedge quest called showdown is a good start also.

Tactic wise I would judge crusader on him and consecrate a ton. Unfortunatly we dont have the mana pool as a protect pali to outlast him and our heals are not good enough to outheal the dmg coming in so you need to burst him down.

If you want to try and win and go the burst route I would start off with a avenging shield then try and get crusader judged followed by a consecrate. After than just rinse and repeat with SoR. This should push him to try and heal which you then use your stun to stop. Keep consecrating whenever the CD is done, many people laugh at this but with crusader up the dmg really adds up fast. Hopefully you can busrt him to 20% and then hammer of wrath him down before you run OOM.

If you want to take the I want to mess with your head approach you can always judge crusader and consecrate but this time use Seal of Justice hehe Its not effective in duels to do much dmg for the most part but it sure is fun in the BGs and Arena when you are beating on a healer with another DPS class. The consecrate dmg will force him to heal and the seal of justice will piss him off.

Always hit the totems first and try not to use any large heals when he is not stunned or you run the risk of getting earthshocked and put on a global CD =/
hamerhead

Postby Nich » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:29 pm

I've found I can only win duelling an equally geared shaman friend if he agrees not to use purge at all.

Enh is close, but HS can be purged, can't it?

And, for the most part, it's hard to kill someone with a combination of white damage (seals are purged), and consecrate, which I find just sucks my mana pool empty.
Nich

Postby Phaex » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:30 am

The sad thing is, every Shaman will just destroy you. All he has to do is to keep purging you.
No matter what rank1 seal you are spamming to keep your holy shield up, he'll still outdps you with just a few Shocks between the Purge spam.

Well if hes a friend, you could ask him to not use purge, you'll still have a rough time beating him, but at least its possible :)
Phaex

Postby Minn » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:56 pm

HS, Seals, Blessings and Righteous Fury are all purgeable, and constantly removed by any decent pvp shaman. If you're lucky, or sneak an action in between the shaman's actions, you can get a judgement in. Redoubt is going to help more than Holy Shield in a duel with enh shammies, just remember to try to keep them in your front arc. As frustrating as it is playing without any magical buffs, you can return the favor by denying totems throughout the fight.

Again, I'd recommend using Rank 1 BoW as purge bait. 30 mana for something that gives you mana in return, vs 8% of base mana for purge. Just keep popping that back up, stomp totems, stun and heal, bubble and heal, stun and heal, etc. You're fighting to get his blue bar down first. Also remember that JoJ > Ghost Wolf, if there's a possibility he'll try to run.
Minn

Return to General Strats