[10HM] Lord Ryolith

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10HM] Lord Ryolith

Postby Taeron » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:34 am

Hello.

We are giving hard modes a try now that our small 10man got some people interested in playing again, and after killing Shannox and Domo, we figured to give this one a try (unless you think some other boss would be better to go at this point).

Anyway, I was hoping you could tell me how you would assign roles in the group that has the following structure:

Paladin (tank)

Warrior (dps, but can be offtank if needed, I noticed most people do this with 1 tank?)
Warlock
Shadow Priest
Death Knight
Rogue (usually the one steering Rhyo on normal)
Mage (fire, can go Arcane if needed)
Hunter (our backup dps)

Holy Priest
Druid
Holy Paladin

Reading this thread I got a bit confused at how many should be steering and how many should be jumping on adds that spawn. The new adds, those slimes that recharge his armor - are those killed usually (some say just ignore) or handled in some other way?

Thank you kindly.
Taeron

Postby Winkle » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:20 am

Taeron wrote:Hello.

We are giving hard modes a try now that our small 10man got some people interested in playing again, and after killing Shannox and Domo, we figured to give this one a try (unless you think some other boss would be better to go at this point).

Anyway, I was hoping you could tell me how you would assign roles in the group that has the following structure:

Paladin (tank)

Warrior (dps, but can be offtank if needed, I noticed most people do this with 1 tank?)
Warlock
Shadow Priest
Death Knight
Rogue (usually the one steering Rhyo on normal)
Mage (fire, can go Arcane if needed)
Hunter (our backup dps)

Holy Priest
Druid
Holy Paladin

Reading this thread I got a bit confused at how many should be steering and how many should be jumping on adds that spawn. The new adds, those slimes that recharge his armor - are those killed usually (some say just ignore) or handled in some other way?

Thank you kindly.

1 Tank, 2 healers (druids are very nice for this fight but it doesn't matter to much).

7 DPS.
2 range (Spiest, Hunter) on adds fall time. They AOE down the fragments and switch to the sparks when they spawn.
2 more range (Lock, Mage) on Rhyolith (1 leg each) until a spark spawns, then nuke spark.
3 Melee (on Rhyolith fall time, steering him etc.)

You can completely ignore the slimes.
You want to lust sometime after you've killed the 3rd spark at/before the 4th spark spawns. The adds despawn when he hits 25%.
Winkle

Postby Taeron » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:19 am

Thank you Winkle, we ran by your suggestion yesterday and it looked good. The only problem we had (gave it only 3 or 4 tries) was stomping the vulcanos fast enough, before 2 or 3 ignite and his stomp wipes us out. We'll be adjusting a little to better our communication for next time, however, if you have any tips/tricks in the vulcano stomping department, I'm all ears. :)

Either way, thank you for the reply above, it was real helpful.
Taeron

Postby Winkle » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:28 am

Taeron wrote:Thank you Winkle, we ran by your suggestion yesterday and it looked good. The only problem we had (gave it only 3 or 4 tries) was stomping the vulcanos fast enough, before 2 or 3 ignite and his stomp wipes us out. We'll be adjusting a little to better our communication for next time, however, if you have any tips/tricks in the vulcano stomping department, I'm all ears. :)

Either way, thank you for the reply above, it was real helpful.

You just need to always be heading in the direction of volcanoes, apparently he attempts to activate a volcano in front of him if possible (and this seems to be true from my observations) so if at all possible you always want to be heading towards volcanoes rather than facing away from them (at the start mainly). Other than that its just a matter of steering him correctly, which can seem very strange but just takes practice.

I personally ignore the "steering" bar and just concentrate on where the boss is actually facing/turning.
Winkle

Postby Hrobertgar » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:31 pm

apparently he attempts to activate a volcano in front of him if possible

In a mini-patch (before the nerf, probably a couple weeks after 4.2 went live) they adjsuted his preferences to like volcanoes in front of him more. He can still choose a volcano somewhat behind him but it is much less likely, especially if there are inactive volcanoes available in front of him.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Calleana » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:57 am

My raid has killed hc Shannox, hc Alraysor & hc Staghelm. We decided to start working on this guy but our 10 tries on Sunday seemed a bit chaotic and confusing.

Logs from our tries: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/m25b6owys59effmg/ I would be really grateful if anyone has chance to have a look and see where we're going wrong. I think it might be steering problems as we seem to have a lot of active volcanoes. We settled on the following strategy:
-1 tank
-OT in DPS spec/gear helping with first frags after spark (otherwise assigned to a leg)
-2 healers
-2 warlocks on spark/ frag duty
-1 mage on spark/ assigned to a leg
-Melee DPS assigned to legs (Warrior/ DK permenantly on one leg each, shaman on steering duty with calls for hard turns)

I would also be grateful if anyone has an expression editor to pick up highest stack point for eruption, I can see we gained quite a lot of this buff over our tries but can't really tell if this was too many, I'm inclined to think it was.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby maurok » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:56 am

For the expression, you can do something like
Code: Select all
spell = "Eruption" and fullType = SPELL_AURA_APPLIED_DOSE  and amount > 7
, then you can see on the list how high it stacked. and you were right, you guys ARE stacking too much... you are often with more than 10 stacks, and sometimes even with 2 high stacks (9 and 5 for example... that is too much pressure on the healers), and when that happen, the next stomp will kill at least 1.

How are you guys driving rhyolith? are you going straight to the volcanoes or making some sort of a circle trajectory? You should be trying to do the second one, and you should always be already turning him once you hit a volcano, in a way that he is always "looking" towards some inactive ones. this way you reduce the chance of him activating THAT far volcano on the other side of the room (but that might still happen though)

the ranged dpsers are taking a good amount of immolation damage (spark's AoE), that could be reduced by better positioning. And also, on your last 3 tries (and many others through the night), there are people dying on magma flow (or on some damage after it because of the low HP) ... your healers won't be able to keep up with people getting hit by avoidable damages all the time.

better driving + less avoidable damage should do the trick =]
maurok

Postby Calleana » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:20 am

Thanks Maurok, you have confirmed my suspicions and given us something to work on.

EDIT: I'm not quite sure what you mean by a circling trajectory do you mean I should be encouraging our drivers to move him around the edge and keep him turned towards the volcanoes? Any videos I can watch that show this sort of thing?
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:00 am

Getting multiple high stacks really implies that they are sometimes missing a volcano due to poor steering/aiming. A missed volcano on normal is bad, but on heroic it is an almost automatic wipe. You cannot be cavalier and think, 'oh we missed it, lets just get it the enxt time we go around'. Going around again takes so long that you will get over 10 stacks. Even doing a 180 to pick it up before resuming takes a lot of time while the raid eats stacks. Do not miss a volcano, steer better.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby maurok » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:00 am

I don't have any video links here
but I'll try to illustrate with my uber paint skillz!
see?? how awesome is that?!

Rhyolith have a higher chance of activating a volcano in front of him; so, what I'm trying to show on this fabulous drawing is 2 ways to approach the volcano

on the left, you can see the same starting situation, on the upper part I'm planning to approach the volcano directly, and on the lower part I'm planning to approach it on the "circle trajectory"

moving to the second situation (in the middle) while I'm half way trough, on straight trajectory you can see that rhyolith is only "looking" at the already active volcano, so if he decides to activate one right now, it'd be at random, and you'd be sort of screwed if he chooses the inactive volcano #3
But on the circle trajectory he is looking to inactive volcano #1, so he has a higher chance to activate it. which would be nice since you'd already be sort of going to this direction.

The circles on the right show the situation once he reached the active volcano. on the straight trajectory, not only he is still "not looking" to any specific inactive volcano, but you'd be probably be screaming to your raid to focus on one leg to make a "U turn" fast.
On the circle trajectory, He'll probably activate now volcanos #1 or #2, and either of them is and easy for you to follow up.

It is basically a matter of planning ahead and trying to make your NEXT move easier, rather than only focusing on what volcano is active now and moving to it ASAP.

I hope it did help :P
Last edited by maurok on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maurok

Postby oldboyz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:29 am

thanks for the paint

quite explicit :mrgreen:
Last edited by oldboyz on Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldboyz

Postby Calleana » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:37 pm

Thanks Maurok, killed him tonight all thanks to your amazing paint skills.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)