Remove Advertisements

Theorycrafting Heirloom weapons for Tankadin leveling

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Theorycrafting Heirloom weapons for Tankadin leveling

Postby krick » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:31 pm

There's a couple of threads over on Tankadin.com where a poster is making the argument that the high spell power from the Devout Aurastone Hammer makes it a better leveling/tanking weapon for a protection paladin than, say, the Bloodsoaked Skullforge Reaver, since avoidance isn't as important at lower levels. The two weapons are linked below. Here's the threads...

http://www.tankadin.com/forum/index.php?topic=1689.0
http://www.tankadin.com/forum/index.php ... 0#msg12730

I don't have the theorycraft background to argue one way or the other, but it seems on the surface to fly in the face of common knowledge about paladin tank gear, but maybe there's something weird about the way that spellpower scales at lower levels that I don't understand.

Any thoughts?

[Devout Aurastone Hammer]
Binds to Battle.net account
Main Hand Mace
226 - 422 Damage Speed 2.70
(120.0 damage per second)
+28 Stamina
+42 Intellect
Requires level 1 to 80 (80)
Item Level 1
Equip: Increases your critical strike rating by 15 (0.33% @ L80).
Equip: Increases spell power by 393.

[Bloodsoaked Skullforge Reaver]
Binds to Battle.net account
Main Hand Sword
235 - 437 Damage Speed 2.80
(120.0 damage per second)
+29 Strength
+44 Stamina
Requires level 1 to 80 (80)
Item Level 1
Equip: Increases your parry rating by 29 (0.64% @ L80).
krick

Re: Theorycrafting Heirloom weapons for Tankadin leveling

Postby lythac » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:54 am

krick wrote:I don't have the theorycraft background to argue one way or the other, but it seems on the surface to fly in the face of common knowledge about paladin tank gear, but maybe there's something weird about the way that spellpower scales at lower levels that I don't understand.

The weird thing is the weapon DPS as it is the same between both weapons. Standard SP weapons gain their large amount of SP by having their DPS decreased and they also have a fast swing speed, which is why they do not make good tank weapons.

Example -

Maldo's Sword Cane (231 DPS, 1.6) and Soul Blade (462 DPS, 2.6)

This makes the SP heirloom over budget do to its DPS, if it does indeed have the same weapon DPS as the tanking heirloom. Then the masses of SP (and crit) overtakes the small amount of str. Also the slow speed is a big bonus on a SP weapon (this doesn't affect item budget).
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Re: Theorycrafting Heirloom weapons for Tankadin leveling

Postby theckhd » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:54 am

I wouldn't say it "flies in the face" of established theorycraft. We already knew that spellpower weapons weren't that bad at 85. From the weapon simulation:

Spellpower weapons perform "OK," but they're all relatively fast (2.3 speed or faster) and spellpower is just a weak threat stat for us. Both of those factors hurt their DPS potential. Even the best spellpower weapons only manage to perform as well as the lowest-tier tank or DPS weapons, 26 ilvls lower. So for threat, a spellpower weapon isn't going to be an upgrade unless it's 30+ ilvls better than your current weapon.

In addition, spellpower weapons generally (but not always) sacrifice weapon DPS to get that spellpower, further weakening them. At level cap that matters, because CS is a significant source of damage. At lower levels, CS is less important partly due to weapon DPS scaling and partly due to the fact that you don't have enough talent points to fully buff it (WotL and Crusade).

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Aurastone was slightly higher DPS than the STR heirloom options, especially since it's slow and doesn't sacrifice weapon DPS. But I have trouble believing the difference is very large; Kaber didn't provide a data set @ level 65, so it's hard to evaluate his statement that the Aurastone is "far better."

And to be honest, it's leveling, it hardly matters. He probably won't recoup the time spent trying to figure out which was better anyway. And if the extra stamina on the tanking heirloom saves a few wipes during the course of leveling, it would probably overtake the spellpower weapon in terms of overall efficiency.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations