Holydin's question - Want your advice!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Holydin's question - Want your advice!

Postby Shaped20 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:32 pm

Hello people.

To begin with I am gonna say a big thank you for this site, it is really what I was looking for when I searched for "How to learn how to Tank as a Tankadin" :D The guides you have here are really great and I appreciate your work. I am writing this topic because I want your advice for a matter and I am sorry if I write this in the wrong section. I just saw "...and off-topic posts" and I said "Here I am!".

So, here is my story... I played retribution since Wrath (when I began WoW) and I really loved it. When Cataclysm came I hated since day one not because of the numbers but because of the gameplay. The numbers may be great but I still can't stand it, don't know why.
So I changed to Holy because it was easier since I had a lot of gear and I had never played a healer before. I absolutely love it and I really want to start raiding Firelands.

The things is, I always wanted to make a Tank too. But, I can only focus right now on one spec because I must spend my Valor Points some day. I am gonna buy gear for Holy which means my Tanking gear will be left behind.

So, the point of my topic? I was wondering if I should keep my Holy Paladin and create a new Paladin, from scratch, leveling him all the way as Protection and of course getting exclusively Protection gear when I ding 85. I always wanted to have Alchemy/Enchanting (I have the money, fortunately) but I got Mining/Engin. right now.

What do you think I should do? I want to be able to have a Holy and a Prot Paladin at the same time!

Thank you all for your time and I would really appreciate any kind of advice. You can check my Paladin HERE if it helps you and thank you again. :D

PS. I am sorry if I made some (or a lot, lol) grammar mistakes, English is not my native language and I study it for like 3 years.
Shaped20

Re: Holydin's question - Want your advice!

Postby tbolt » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:41 pm

I wouldn't make an all new paladin just to play a different spec. Yeah VPs are limited but I would just gear up the main spec you want to play as, sounds like Holy for you, and start raiding with that. Once you get going you'll be able to pick up tank gear for your offspec especially if you're running with the same group on a regular basis and can swap roles as needed.
tbolt

Postby lythac » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:28 pm

In 4.3 with the introduction of LFR and 378 gear bought from JP I would have just the one Paladin and -

Holy - Normal raids, spend Valor points on gear, Justice points to bring the rest of your slots up to 378.
Prot - LFR, spend justice points once you have nothing else to buy for Holy.

Dungeons can be run as whichever spec, but with the new dungeons coming in 4.3 I would do them as Holy a few times to see what is going on.

Between the gear you are able to obtain via LFR, Justice points and 4.3 dungeons (378), you should be able to build a decent enough gearset should it ever be needed in a normal raid.

LFR might be hell and frustrating but you can pull out of it anytime (you don't get valor points till the run is complete) and cap valor through normal dungeons anyway.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Flex » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:04 pm

3 paladins is the way to go.

Prot/Ret
Ret/Holy
Prot only for when you want to tank stuff your other prot outgears.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby PsiVen » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:49 pm

I think it's barking mad to have more than one toon of the same class unless you really love 3 different specs and can't afford to respec with readily available addons that save your setups.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Kitmajere » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:07 am

Nah - it's more about getting to raid as two different specs. I haven't actually gotten my second pally to 85 yet, but I'm looking forward to healing FL alt runs on her while I tank the main run (or at this point it's more likely that I'll just LFR on my main as holy after I get anything I might need as prot from it). There's just no need to ever drop a tank in favor of a healer -- the exception was Al'akir which I thoroughly enjoyed healing.
It's not that ridiculous of an idea :-p.
Kitmajere

Postby lythac » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:34 am

I would support multiple paladins if you had a lot of irregular play time so the only raiding you could do is LFR with its loot lockouts.

It is something I have been thinking about the past couple of days.

I want to call my second Paladin Lythacdamus so after the quest Your new identitiy - "You will be known as "Lythacdamusdamus" among the cultists"
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Crimsonheart » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:21 am

Well you are currently holy, and you have mineing and engineering? Make the change then...Mining and Engineering are poor for holy...

And unless you just seriously wanna raid on 2 pallies (rather then have OS MS) do it. Though maybe look at a different tank for tanking so you have some differences? If you love prot that much then say there, but warriors are really fun tanks too, this way you would have 2 level 85s of different classes.
Crimsonheart

Postby Hrobertgar » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:25 am

Speaking as someone who actually has 2 Paladins and raids with them, I think it depends on:

1) How likely it is that you will raid with BOTH toons in the SAME week
2) How you look at the time/$$ commitment to level up and gear another toon

As for me, I levelled my tank and mage together when I first started learning the game. Then I got bored with it until a friend started a toon on a different server, so I started what became my healer to level with him. Later I xferred servers to consolidate my toons, thus having access to two Pallies :D . I do actually raid on both my Healer and Tank pretty much every week, and I used to also raid on the mage as well although that has recently fallen by the wayside.

If you are not going to raid on the tank separately then I would stick with making tank your offspec on your healer and accumulating gear that way as people have suggested.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Worldie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:42 pm

If you aren't obsessed like me by having 1 per class on every server, I'd strongly support having a second paladin.

I'd have 2 paladins myself if i wasnt limited by char slots.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby rodos » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:58 pm

Crimsonheart wrote:Well you are currently holy, and you have mineing and engineering? Make the change then...Mining and Engineering are poor for holy...

Mining isn't doing anything for you raid-wise, but I still find engineering handy as Holy.

Synapse Springs is nice to macro with Divine Plea, and having a parachute is always great. Saved me just last night when Rag punted me into a magma trap (and you'll never die to the elevator boss either).
rodos

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:28 pm

As a pally, you shouldn't die to the elevator boss and can save yourself from a trap with your bubble just as easily as the parachute. Granted, the parachute allows for two "oh shit" moments.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:11 am

rodos wrote:Synapse Springs is nice to macro with Divine Plea, and having a parachute is always great. Saved me just last night when Rag punted me into a magma trap (and you'll never die to the elevator boss either).

*uses a throughput cooldown to boost his class's already broken regen*

*poker face*
Levantine

Postby Mannstein » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:43 am

Skye1013 wrote:As a pally, you shouldn't die to the elevator boss and can save yourself from a trap with your bubble just as easily as the parachute. Granted, the parachute allows for two "oh shit" moments.

As a paladin i find this offensive...
Despite the fact that we as a class never fail... i find it extremelly irritating that for 95% of the players, everything can be saved by bubbling...

For me the buble is NOT a "oh, shit"button, the buble is a proactive tool...
Alisrazor, Old'Bethy, Raggy(HM), Majordomo are all fight that you can "proactively" use the buble to impove the life of the raid.

BTW. I cannot use the bubble in the folowing cenarios:
(Raggy) Everytime someone burst a trap at same time i take hand of ragnaros damage.
(majordomo) All the seeds phases because mages die.
(Alisrazor) Everytime that my PC freezes in Tornados (allways)
(Bethy) upstairs to prevent damage during the aoe part.
and above all..
Buble don't prevent DC's...
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:55 am

You're opening a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened... I mentioned the bubble can be used in the two instances we were discussing (unintentional popping of Rag traps and elevator bosses.) Granted, one would be far more iffy (Rag traps, hence saying you can use it) as you might have already used your bubble to save yourself from/prevent something else. I get that. No where in what I posted did I imply (at least as far as I can tell) that you have to (and/or are able to) use your bubble to save/prevent every single thing.

Having a lvl 85 pally, and playing a pally as my main at 80... I understand that it's not the ultimate solution to everything. Don't read into things that aren't there.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General