Remove Advertisements

25[H] Ragnaros

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: 25[H] Ragnaros

Postby Treck » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:12 pm

Vladogor wrote:So I begin to wonder whether the "spread and kill elementals one-by-one" kind of strategy will yield more consistent and better result :roll:

I still havnt heard of a single guild ever doing this strat more than us tho.
We do it in our altgroup aswell, its just easier to do what your used to.
But honestly it isnt that hard, dodging engulfings are the "hardest" part, and its not hard when you know they are coming.
Treck

Postby fafhrd » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:39 am

Some other people did it on 10H because of strange comps, haven't heard of anyone else doing it on 25.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby exiledknight » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:45 am

Treck wrote:
Vladogor wrote:So I begin to wonder whether the "spread and kill elementals one-by-one" kind of strategy will yield more consistent and better result :roll:

But honestly it isnt that hard, dodging engulfings are the "hardest" part, and its not hard when you know they are coming.

We are going to be trying the single target strat tonight since we constantly have anywhere from 2-5 people move early or more often late, it isn't the adds that are the problem but the actual seeds killing people, only thing I am unsure of is the tank positioning for when the seeds do go out.
exiledknight

Postby madmessias » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:53 am

exiledknight wrote:
Treck wrote:

We are going to be trying the single target strat tonight since we constantly have anywhere from 2-5 people move early or more often late, it isn't the adds that are the problem but the actual seeds killing people, only thing I am unsure of is the tank positioning for when the seeds do go out.

We tried it, hated it, just learned the run at the same time tac instead, took us awhile but its easy.
When we did it, we had both tanks in the top right corner, standing at about maxrange from the boss so theres room for people infront of them. Remember to place traps/earthbinds etc at the seeds spawnpoint, might help abit (i think).
madmessias

Postby Kitmajere » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:27 pm

madmessias wrote: Remember to place traps/earthbinds etc at the seeds spawnpoint, might help abit (i think).

The adds aren't slowable/stunnable until they are more than 6yds away from each other. So it won't help at all on a pile of them.
Kitmajere

Postby Treck » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:41 pm

I think the point was that if your doing the spread out tactic, with them spawning in their own space, they can be slowed, stunned and rooted.
Treck

Postby Forgrim » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:24 am

Just trying to get a picture, but are any 25 man guilds only getting one meteor spawn? (My guild makes it 2 meteor spawns and p4 transitions 5 secondsish before the 3-4 meteors come out)
Forgrim

Postby Treck » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:39 am

We have gotten the transition about 10-12sec after the 2nd meteor spawns, however we havnt run with a fully optimized raidgroup with only mains on Rag post nerf.
Im confident with an optimized group with only mains we could push one meteor pretty easy.
However while it might make p4 transition harder, 2 meteors are fairly easy to handle, id say getting one meteor and handling it during p4 is still harder and more annoying goal to reach than getting two meteors and handling them in p4.
Treck

Postby Brutalus » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:37 am

Forgrim wrote:Just trying to get a picture, but are any 25 man guilds only getting one meteor spawn? (My guild makes it 2 meteor spawns and p4 transitions 5 secondsish before the 3-4 meteors come out)

Yes, but we do wait before pushing his 40% transition until he casts an engulfing to get him as low as possible (in general a good point to aim for is 90million as he goes under) and we use three healers. We usually make it with only up to about 10 seconds before the second meteor spawns. Going into phase 4 with one meteor really made our life much easier - you can get rid of it very early on and from then on the phase becomes really easy. Our experience (which I don't mean to imply is typical) was that, upon the 15% health nerf, we spent a lot of wipes in phase 4 to random stuff (meteor/dreadflame/geyser/superheated/etc.), but when we dropped to three healers and could get one meteor reliably we killed it within 8 pulls - having no meteors around eliminates any need to worry about more than what you're doing, which seems to really just facilitate everything in the last phase.
Brutalus

Postby madmessias » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:18 pm

How do you guys handle knocking the meteors? Atm we get 2x meteors into p4, and we have two people assigned to each meteor, first guy gets 6x stacks, and then they shift around when their stacks drops, is this good or? How are you handling it? :)
madmessias

Postby Brutalus » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:37 pm

madmessias wrote:How do you guys handle knocking the meteors? Atm we get 2x meteors into p4, and we have two people assigned to each meteor, first guy gets 6x stacks, and then they shift around when their stacks drops, is this good or? How are you handling it? :)

We do all the melee + a few extra ranged + 1 healer on the left side and the tanks + the rest of the ranged + the rest of the healers on the right. DKs can glyph their death grip (resilient grip) so that the cooldown resets every time they grip a meteor, which does knock it back. Back when we had two meteors, we marked the first one with moon and assigned a DK to each one on the left. They just focus their meteor and use a focus macro to grip it whenever it comes close. If their stacks get too high they can just AMS and they'll fall off (I think they can do this but I'm not sure - we've never found need to swap knockbackers). On the right, we put a healer on all of them with a ranged dps and tank to back up if needed.
Brutalus

Postby Kihra » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:46 pm

Forgrim wrote:Just trying to get a picture, but are any 25 man guilds only getting one meteor spawn? (My guild makes it 2 meteor spawns and p4 transitions 5 secondsish before the 3-4 meteors come out)

We've gotten one meteor a few times (4-healing it). If we dropped to three healers, we could make one meteor reliably, but then we'd have to relearn the fight with one less healer, and we like having the extra healer in P4.
Kihra

Postby madmessias » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:49 pm

Brutalus wrote:
madmessias wrote:How do you guys handle knocking the meteors? Atm we get 2x meteors into p4, and we have two people assigned to each meteor, first guy gets 6x stacks, and then they shift around when their stacks drops, is this good or? How are you handling it? :)

We do all the melee + a few extra ranged + 1 healer on the left side and the tanks + the rest of the ranged + the rest of the healers on the right. DKs can glyph their death grip (resilient grip) so that the cooldown resets every time they grip a meteor, which does knock it back. Back when we had two meteors, we marked the first one with moon and assigned a DK to each one on the left. They just focus their meteor and use a focus macro to grip it whenever it comes close. If their stacks get too high they can just AMS and they'll fall off (I think they can do this but I'm not sure - we've never found need to swap knockbackers). On the right, we put a healer on all of them with a ranged dps and tank to back up if needed.

Can anyone confirm DK's can AMS it? :)
madmessias

Postby Kitmajere » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:28 am

Treck wrote:I think the point was that if your doing the spread out tactic, with them spawning in their own space, they can be slowed, stunned and rooted.

Ah, I misread - his second sentence was about the single-target strat :-p.
Kitmajere

Postby sakkdaddy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:18 am

We do one meteor, but it's not completely reliable as it does require that everyone is performing very well in Phase 3 and requires more class stacking than going with 2 meteors. We switched to 3 healers and the best phase 3 dpsers we have and I feel like we can do it fairly consistently. To do it, we stop dps when he's around 45% hp and wait for the 3rd wave of seeds in Phase 2, then have all dps start up again after we move, and he flips to 40% within a couple of seconds of his first engulfing flames cast generally this way. We dps him down to 36% during the transition before he despawns, and have the Scions both under 20% hp when Ragnaros spawns and just let them get cleaved down from that point. Bloodlust right away and if no dps die, you should just have 1 meteor. Screw up either of the transitions though, even going with just 3 healers, and you will probably have 2 meteors. If someone dies, then again, it's probably 2 meteors.
sakkdaddy

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)