Tanking Heroics: Can I do it?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking Heroics: Can I do it?

Postby Sanguinaar » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:19 pm

Hello; I would like to know if I should be able to tank some easy (mechanar/slave pens?) heroics with my current setup. And if not, where can I get the gear to do so? So far the only upgrade I can find (in normal instances) is Crest of the Sha'tar, which I should be able to get in 1-2 days (8.5k rep to exalted).

Armory Link:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Tichondrius&n=Sanguinaar
Sanguinaar

Postby Mortiran » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:31 pm

I would put an enchant on the shield but you appear quite capable of handling yourself in a heroic
Mortiran

Postby Zeels » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:33 am

You seem ready, but stop slacking with the +9 stamina gems. :P
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Sanguinaar » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:46 pm

Well the way I figure is I've got 3 +9 stam gems, and paying 120g to increase my stamina by 9 isn't worth it. I know tanking costs money, but I don't have money to throw away and i'd rather save good gems for better gear.
Sanguinaar

Postby Zeels » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:54 pm

Go grind some outside BT, or do dailys. 50g per +12 gem isn't that bad. Some of those pieces you have will take a lot of time before you replace them, even if you are in a good guild with endgame content on farm, it's not sure you are lucky enough to get loot for all slots.

Kind of makes me remember pre tbc, when you got new legs or helm, and you had to grind for the ZG enchant *sigh* . That was really tough. Libram of focus had really low drop rate in DM. Also the +30 spell damage was really expensive, a golden pearl could sell for 300g on my server at that time.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby aardvark » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:49 pm

Zeels wrote:50g per +12 gem isn't that bad.

Well yeah, but 49g for +3stamina isn't exactly good either...

And if my survival in heroics hinges on some 300hp(and I don't think I'd gain even that much from regemming all my +9's to +12), I'm recruiting a better healer... :p

Ofc I do intend to upgrade the gems eventually, so that I'm the best I can be, but I'm not in a particular hurry with it, got better things to spend money on. :)
(like saving up for boots of the protector or something spiffy like that :) )

Next stop for me is regemming my few def gems for +9's, after that I'll see about the +12's :)
Lorelai - 70 pally
@ Horde - Kul Tiras
aardvark

Postby Damnazion » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:29 am

Go for it. Find a good healer and kill some baddies.
Damnazion-Blood Elf Tankadin-Llane
"Curator will be tanking ME!"

http://damnazion.blogspot.com/
Damnazion

Postby ulushnar » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:13 am

aardvark wrote:
Zeels wrote:50g per +12 gem isn't that bad.

Well yeah, but 49g for +3stamina isn't exactly good either...

With talents, that nine Stamina becomes 10-11, or ~100 HP. It means Ardent Defender will trigger sooner and in Heroics it can mean the difference between you surviving (for example) a Charged Fist from a Destroyer and you going splat quickly followed by the rest of your party.

If you're serious about tanking *never* slack on gems/enchants.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Wakeman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:43 pm

Many new tanks underestimate the significant of using good gems and enchant. Think again about it, the overall improvement can make the difference between a success and a wipe. If those gems and enchant saves you from a few death, the repair bill and time saved is already more than enough to compensate for the cost of the gems and enchant!

There are too many ways to get fast gold in this game. I have never found myself short of gold. If you are going to tank for your guild a lot, you should ask your guild leader to subsidise some of your gems and enchant.
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics