Remove Advertisements

[10H] Ragnaros

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10H] Ragnaros

Postby Adornus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:14 am

Everytime, regardless of where he is on the channel, he stopped casting and transitioned the second he hit 40%. We tried to push after first, second, and third section of engulfing. Everytime he transitioned. They must have implemented this with the nerf, as Treck said. You can pretty much get him to 37-38% now, max.

We keep getting to P4 (probably 60-70% of our attempts get there now) but we either geyser (less likely) or have Rag one shot everyone with empowered sulfuras (more likely). Any tips for the tank taunts for him? We also push P4 with one meteor 75% of the time.
Adornus

Postby baleogthefierce » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:51 am

Adornus wrote:Everytime, regardless of where he is on the channel, he stopped casting and transitioned the second he hit 40%. We tried to push after first, second, and third section of engulfing. Everytime he transitioned. They must have implemented this with the nerf, as Treck said. You can pretty much get him to 37-38% now, max.

That's strange, we were still able to get him to do full World in Flames channels last night.
baleogthefierce

Postby differentiate » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi Adornus,

First time poster, but was a little mystified by your diagram. Why do you have your shadow priest chill outside the group? Wouldn't it be better to have him stack with the rest of the group? Is he not just Mind Searing them?

Edit: Also how do you deal with the full life adds that are spawned on top of your mage and shadow priest?
differentiate

Postby Kishandra » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:33 pm

Elementals get a buff in heroic mode that superpowers their damage if more elementals are in range. So the main group generally had to run away from the main clump of elementals - very few guilds can straight up nuke them all without moving.

The spriest stands outside because he can take the beating of an unbuffed add and actually aoe since he doesn't move.

Range will single target down any remaining adds after the aoe clump is dead
Kishandra

Postby Adornus » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:34 pm

differentiate wrote:Hi Adornus,

First time poster, but was a little mystified by your diagram. Why do you have your shadow priest chill outside the group? Wouldn't it be better to have him stack with the rest of the group? Is he not just Mind Searing them?

Edit: Also how do you deal with the full life adds that are spawned on top of your mage and shadow priest?

It's easier since the priest add does less damage beating on him since he's outside the group. He is just mindsearing them which means he has to stand still.

Once we down the other adds, we single target the adds that are on the mage and spriest. On the third set of seeds, we bop (before the seeds are cast) the mage and spriest to make it a really quick transition.
Adornus

Postby Treck » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:47 am

I really dont see how that is very benefitial.
If the priest runs with the group, he will be far away from the seeds when they explode, and can start mindsearing right away without loosing any time to dps them, having him stand outside and take a beating doesnt make much sense.
Treck

Postby Adornus » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:14 am

I need to edit my diagram. He actually stands behind the group when the seeds go off.
Adornus

Postby Paoanii » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:45 am

Off topic (kinda): I just wanted to thank everyone who posted here and in particular I wanted to thank Treckie. Without a lot of the advice on this thread this wouldn't have been possible:

On Topic: With regards to phase 4 and the breadths, we did something I hadn't seen mentioned before that worked quite well to fix our geyser problems. Basically we stood in each breadth until it despawned with the exception of the first to get the meteor. In short, we stood in the first, the second, then stayed in the 4th until dead (we actually killed him just after the 4th despawned, but with tranq the extra damage taken wasn't even noticeable). We found that cutting out moving to the 3rd and 5th breadths eliminated a lot of the room for error in that phase and made it much easier to control dreadflames once they started getting close.
Paoanii

Postby Sunblock » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi fellow maintankadiners...

My guild is working on Ragnaros heroic 10 and the question came up while trying to reach only 1 meteor in phase 3. Although it might be a question better suited for another thread, dont hesitate moving it to a more suitable one.

I´ve been trying to find out how i can maximize my own contribution, as a tank, when it comes to damage done.

After a discussion with our healers we came to the conclusion that if i could boost my damage done at the cost of only stamina and not loosing my CTC, it would be beneficial to do so. So I equipped 2 pieces of retribution tier and moved some gems and reforge around to reach hit/exp caps. It made a big difference, 5-6k additional dmg during phases(outside of transitionphases). The cost in stamina mostly was represented by using a License to stay instead of a stamina one.

So... to further push my dps i was wondering how i would wanna use my holypower. I havent been able to find any real consensus in the matter of keeping Inquisition up as much as possible or using it for Sotr every time. If someone could give me good sources to this discussion or even explain it yourself i would be very grateful.

Links to logs and armory
WoL: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/1szw ... boss=52409
Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... ilk/simple
Sunblock

Postby Kishandra » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:06 pm

It's a minor dps upgrade to use inquisition - rule of thumb is: sotr if either sacred duty or inq is up, inq otherwise.
Kishandra

Postby Brutalus » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:04 am

Sunblock wrote:So... to further push my dps i was wondering how i would wanna use my holypower. I havent been able to find any real consensus in the matter of keeping Inquisition up as much as possible or using it for Sotr every time. If someone could give me good sources to this discussion or even explain it yourself i would be very grateful.

Although it's true that inquisition is a dps increase if neither inquisition nor sacred duty are up, it is probably important to watch your vengeance in the last phase and to make more educated uses based on that. Do bear in mind that I have no mathematical founding for this, so it may be all wrong (and I'm sure someone knowledgable will correct me if it is), but I would imagine that if you were at full vengeance and expected it to drop, sotr might trump inquisition. I'm not sure if it would work the other way, though, ie. if you have low vengeance that you should pass up a SD proc for inquisition.
Brutalus

Postby mort » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:25 am

Ragnaros has been summoning the second meteor during an Engulfing on our last attempts.. Sucks when we would have made P4 with 1 meteor several times if he waited until the end of the cast.
mort

Postby Sundance » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks, Treckie and everyone else, for the info we needed. Finally got it down!

Here is how we did it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuqIcepONvQ (Mage lone-seed dropping and Dreadflame PoV)

We let our Mage drop his seed outside and AoE, works wonders for the AoE nuking. We have our Holy Paladin tank almost the whole p3 and the Bear tank going Kitty. Additionally we use the healers to knockback, backed up by tanks. Druid is Wrath spamming in ToL and our Holydin(me) is Exorcism specced. This pushes 1 meteor pretty easily.
Mark people up for p4, helps a lot. So does having luck. God, some wipes are really silly due to RNG. Out of the ~20 wipes in p4 atleast half is to stupid RNG. As soon as we started anticipating that he´d be rooted before Emp. Sulf we got a kill by Ping-Pong taunting instead and lucky Dreadflame.
Heímdall of <Helios> @ Argent Dawn - EU
Sundance

Postby Adornus » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:49 pm

And thank you for all of the help!

Adornus

Postby baleogthefierce » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:20 am

Sundance wrote:We let our Mage drop his seed outside and AoE, works wonders for the AoE nuking. We have our Holy Paladin tank almost the whole p3 and the Bear tank going Kitty. Additionally we use the healers to knockback, backed up by tanks. Druid is Wrath spamming in ToL and our Holydin(me) is Exorcism specced. This pushes 1 meteor pretty easily.
Mark people up for p4, helps a lot. So does having luck. God, some wipes are really silly due to RNG. Out of the ~20 wipes in p4 atleast half is to stupid RNG. As soon as we started anticipating that he´d be rooted before Emp. Sulf we got a kill by Ping-Pong taunting instead and lucky Dreadflame.

We just got our first kill last night, and the number of wipes caused purely by p4 RNG are just ridiculous. I have never hated an encounter as much as I hate this one.

The worst is the Cloudburst and initial Dreadflames spawning on complete opposite ends of the room; by the time our runner can get over to the first two patches it's already starting to get out of control. We at least lucked out and had a warrior tank who could leap/taunt to move Rag quickly if the roots spawned under him; without a high-mobility tank I think it would be impossible to move him in some cases due to his enormous hit box.
baleogthefierce

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)