Firelands Progression path

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Firelands Progression path

Postby Belloc » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:34 am

maurok wrote:
Belloc wrote:(...)Except maybe Alysrazor -- holy shit, that fight is a joke now :P

I feel bad =[

my group raid about 5~6hrs a week, we did 2/7H pre-nerf, we killed beth H last thursday and we just 1-shotted baleroc H yesteday... bu we can't get past the 1st phase on alys H =[

What problem are you having exactly? We'd be thrilled to help!
Belloc

Postby maurok » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:02 am

thx :)

I just said that because so far for us, baleroc and beth H seemed easier.

anyway, we are 2 healing the fight (as we did on rhyolith and baleroc), 1 dps flying (moonkin);
It seems that we are failing in lots of stuff...

1) The 2 ranged dps on the ground (hunter and demon lock... although he decide respecced destruction to have a better burst on the meteor) complains that there are too many brushes and its hard to dps the meteor properly, sometimes they fail and the meteor hits the wall

2) I think people were already failing at lava spews before, but it wasn't very relevant on normal mode, now its killing

3) It seems sometimes we have healing range problems with melees going around to kill druids and tanks taking hatchlings to the worms (which is strange, since we haven't had those problems on normal)

4) I got Healing LoS issues twice when took cover behind the meteor while my hatchling is still alive (I was helping the meteor dps, and got a little back on the hatchling damage)

This is the LINK TO THE LOG of our last night attempts, we did only 6, it is our 2nd day of attempts.
maurok

Postby Belloc » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:50 am

maurok wrote:thx :)

I just said that because so far for us, baleroc and beth H seemed easier.

anyway, we are 2 healing the fight (as we did on rhyolith and baleroc), 1 dps flying (moonkin);
It seems that we are failing in lots of stuff...

1) The 2 ranged dps on the ground (hunter and demon lock... although he decide respecced destruction to have a better burst on the meteor) complains that there are too many brushes and its hard to dps the meteor properly, sometimes they fail and the meteor hits the wall

2) I think people were already failing at lava spews before, but it wasn't very relevant on normal mode, now its killing

3) It seems sometimes we have healing range problems with melees going around to kill druids and tanks taking hatchlings to the worms (which is strange, since we haven't had those problems on normal)

4) I got Healing LoS issues twice when took cover behind the meteor while my hatchling is still alive (I was helping the meteor dps, and got a little back on the hatchling damage)

This is the LINK TO THE LOG of our last night attempts, we did only 6, it is our 2nd day of attempts.

1) Make sure the meteor is always slowed. A hunter trap on the spawn point (or in the meteor's path) will give you a lot more time). As far as the brushfires go, use as many stuns as you can on the Initiates. Finally, the hunter should, ideally, be able to solo the meteor, allowing the warlock to help with initiates (faster deaths = less brushfires).

2) Practice will make perfect :D

3) Not much I can say about this one. If your DPS is doing fine in other areas, you could always bring a third healer for better coverage. Make sure your melee DPS are watching which way the initiates are facing. Moving behind the initiates will prevent brushfire damage on your melee DPS.

4) This is simply a matter of killing the hatchlings faster (you shouldn't have to help anyone on anything while your hatchling is up) or having your healer positioned with you (which, in the rush to hide behind a meteor, can be problematic).

Hopefully the hunter should be able to slow the meteor and solo it. If that happens, you'll be in a better place for brushfires with your warlock helping out on initiates (or, alternatively, flying!), as well as making as much use of stuns as possible on initiates. Once you're able to focus entirely on the hatchlings, your LoS issues should disappear. The rest should fall into place!
Belloc

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:59 am

You can also stun the initiates so as to entirely prevent some brushfires.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:38 am

For the Initiates, I would reccomend using stun about halfway thru the cast to chew up the time. Too late, and the cast will go off (latency or whatever). For kicking, especially wait till half of cast bar. Once their fire attack is kicked they will immediately start casting brush fire. Since interupts and especially stuns have modest to long CDs, use them a little more sparingly then the adds will drop before you run out.

I agree with the hunter trap, that makes a huge difference on the meteor. You need to pound it into the ranged that there is a spot between the worms (but far enough from the tank/fire chicken also standing there) that is safe from worm breath but still in range of the meteor.

My guild came close to a kill last week, just had trouble putting two back to back sections all the way thru tornado together. In my opinion most of the wipes were caused by ranged getting too close to worms while dpsing the meteor, and once a tank was too slow to avoid meter. Also, some people get confused on her breath ability and stand on the wrong side of the meteor and get killed.

We did find that it is actually possible to heal the raid without a meteor to LOS. If everyone stacked tight and we used all healer AOE (3 healers) we could survive if everyone got together quickly for those cases where ranged failed to stop both meteors. I wouldn't recommend that as a strategy with at tier gear though.

As a healer I find I do have some healer range issues because the add dropping the meteors forces me out of the middle. Then some of the other healers sometimes venture in a little closer to help out, and sometimes they also die to worms. As the primary tank healer, I have started to stand near the start feather as that point is safe from worms, however it can cause a direct range (not a beacon range) issue when a tank is on the far worm. I believe this can be mitigated by one tank eating a close (to me) worm first, allowing me to beacon the other tank and follow along staying close as the near tank eats his second worm. Pound into healers not to stand in harms way from worm breath - use the safe spots.

Finally, I think people need to recalibrate a tad for the slower tornadoes. With feathers so conveniently piled up every time, I accidentally got 3 feathers a few times, and i had to pause numerous times while following the tornado.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:19 am

Belloc wrote:Make sure your melee DPS are watching which way the initiates are facing. Moving behind the initiates will prevent brushfire damage on your melee DPS.

My experience is that the bastards will half the time switch and cast the thing behind themselves. Annoying as hell.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Winkle » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:17 am

Found out the hard way that you can solo heal this fight (when we lost a healer early doors but killed her anyway). Opens up the possibility of having 3 flyers and downing in her in 1 burn phase.

Not for the faint hearted mind :)
Winkle

Postby frontallobe » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:48 am

Winkle wrote:Found out the hard way that you can solo heal this fight (when we lost a healer early doors but killed her anyway). Opens up the possibility of having 3 flyers and downing in her in 1 burn phase.

Impressive! Not sure I could convince any healer on my team to do this without being attacked IRL though!
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby Adornus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:42 am

Winkle wrote:Found out the hard way that you can solo heal this fight (when we lost a healer early doors but killed her anyway). Opens up the possibility of having 3 flyers and downing in her in 1 burn phase.

You can also send up 3 fliers, and have one DPS come down to help with meteor. That's what we do now and down him in less than one cycle. We send up a fire mage, spriest, and MM hunter. The hunter comes down on the second meteor (we always ignore the first meteor) to frost trap and help kill it.

As far as the range issues someone had mentioned they are having - we had the same thing. I (as a healer) try to position myself towards the middle but in the range of the melee on the edge. If they melee die on the outside, it is 100% their fault, so if you're forced to go with a tank or stay and be in range of melee, choose the tank every time.
Adornus

Postby maurok » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:29 am

Thank you guys! we've just killed her :D

it was just as Belloc said, with the hunter on the meteor, the lock killing druids and me focusing on the add, the rest really fell into place \o/

it took us 16 min (2 BLs, lol), but its fair for a 1st kill, next time the warlock will fly as well ^^

Thank you very very much :D
maurok

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:41 am

maurok wrote:Thank you guys! we've just killed her :D

Congrats on the kill. Progression is always fun. Well, sometimes the progression itself is painful, but the looting part is fun ... except when it's daggers.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)