Holydin - PvE 4.2

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Holydin - PvE 4.2

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:50 am

Ok, so looking at some of the other threads in here, I can't really find anything that's been updated since 4.2. I've dinged 85, run my first troll as a healer, and just wanted to make sure I'm not doing something horribly wrong (every seems to be staying alive, but that could be people overgearing as much as good healing practices.) Keep in mind, I'm primarily in 5 mans, but if I can get the gear/knowledge, 10m raiding isn't out of the question.

Spec choices :
(Sorry for not knowing the talent names... I'm at work and can't effectively look them up)

Tower of Radiance (I think that's what it's called... direct heals on beacon'd target gives hopo.) Should I have this in my spec? I've noticed (at least in 5 mans) that there will be times where I'll only need to heal the tank (my standard beacon target) and they'll take big spikes of damage that are hard to keep healed with HL/HS (and my hopo isn't building fast enough.) But at other times, I'll be "wasting" hopo because the group just isn't taking much damage. What are the thoughts on this talent nowadays?

Spir -> Hit conversion talent (+judgement heals.) Is this something worth picking up in order to ensure my haste buff doesn't drop off (and extra self healing) or is this more of a PvP/wannabe shockadin talent?

Direct damage generates hopo. On fights where adds hit me, I've found this to be an excellent source of hopo, but does it also work on boss AoEs? If not... is it worth keeping in my spec for those times I am (unintentionally or not) add tanking?

There may be other questionable talents that I have/haven't picked up (armory link in sig -Aleks) so if you see something out of the ordinary, then please let me know why you think it's an invalid choice.

Gems/enchants/reforging:
I'm mostly going for the assumption Int>Spir>=Haste>Crit/Mast, and gem/enchant accordingly. If something is glaringly wrong with that, please enlighten me.

Glyphs:
See armory link (I might be in my tank spec/gear, but I'll try to remember to log off in holy gear for a bit while people help me out :))

Thanks for any assistance!
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Re: Holydin - PvE 4.2

Postby Cogglamp » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:00 am

I think you're going to need Tower of Radiance, especially in 10 man raiding. I find that "wasting" HoPo is better off than not having it when I need it. You have a floating point (see below) so you can drop it in Light of Dawn or Blessed Life.

You only need one point in Enlightened Judgements to insure that your judgement hits for the mana return.

Also, Blessed Life is nice but I wouldn't take it over Tower of Radiance.

You could drop a point out of Protector of the Innocent, Enlightened Judgements, and one point in Blessed Life to max out Tower of Radiance and you'd still have one point in Blessed Life for some added HoPo (albeit random). This last point in Blessed Life is floating since most 5 man/10 man holydins don't care too much for Light of Dawn but there are definitely fights where LoD is useful.

I think you're going to find different answers on stat priorities but spirit is certainly #2 in my book.
Cogglamp

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:27 am

Tower of Radiance (I think that's what it's called... direct heals on beacon'd target gives hopo.) Should I have this in my spec?

Take it, always go for free HoPo, it will save your mana pool. My healing strategy hasn;t changed that much for 4.2. However, I have changed some glyphs around for raiding in Firelands. I dropped cleanse glyph and LoH glyph for Holy Wrath and DivProt glyphs. Previously I really like the man returns on LoH glyph, and for cleansing fights that glyph is also a lifesaver.

Spir -> Hit conversion talent (+judgement heals.)

I think I do have 1 point in this, but 2 points are not needed, your spirit is going to be so massive that the hit isn't that big of a deal and the loss of 5 yards range is not critical either, assuming you take the ret talents for range.

Direct damage generates hopo. On fights where adds hit me, I've found this to be an excellent source of hopo, but does it also work on boss AoEs?

AOE does trigger this effect (every 8 secs), and I do like it. On Domo if you are sharing flame scythes that can add up to a lot of free hoPo. And it does rock if you ever get into Holy-PvP, rogues give you free HoPo for WoGs, lol.

I can't look at armory right now, but your priorities loog good and remember that outright reforging out of mastery is usually a good idea. Bumping up your haste is great for Holy Rad ticks as well as general casting. Personally I like to get all my socket bonuses, but that is a personal choice.

Also, remember to use all of your CDs. I am a HealBot-ter, and I have most of the combos for a 3 button mouse crammed (some (I'm looking at you 'Alt' Key) are not comfortable for my fingers given my keyboard layout). I have even put Gift of the Naaru as Ctr-Shift center click. So I can HoP, Sac, Salv, HoF, and GotN at all times. Keep Aura Mastery handy, and sometimes even a timely stun can help if you can spare a GCD. Don't be worried about the long CD on GanK, use it when things get bad, it can sve your mana and the party/raid, and a live group can adjsut better than a wiped one. Holy Radiance can be nice for AOE heals (and as an AOE raid/grp CD if ppl are stacked close), but also for mobility (20 sec CD sprint if you can spare the mana is nice, and awesome for wipe runbacks). I almost never use flashlight in a 5-man (LoD on 1-2 ppl is basically a waste) and only rarely in 10m raiding (full group stack situations are uncommon, but I do keep LoD handy in most raid situations, although I dropped that talent for my PvP/Exodin spec).

You could drop a point out of Protector of the Innocent, Enlightened Judgements, and one point in Blessed Life to max out Tower of Radiance and you'd still have one point in Blessed Life for some added HoPo (albeit random). This last point in Blessed Life is floating since most 5 man/10 man holydins don't care too much for Light of Dawn but there are definitely fights where LoD is useful.

^^ definitely
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:49 pm

Alrighty... I made the suggested changes to my spec, will have to try it out and see how I like it. Though I will say in 5 mans, I haven't been using much FoL/DL, so Tower of Radiance might be mostly wasted until I start raiding. Oh, and my holy set is now visible on the armory, with most of it (346+ stuff) gemmed/enchanted. I'll definitely have to get better at using my cds as well. I'm horrible about using cds (which is why I tend to gravitate towards Equip effect trinkets :D.) I do use GoAK in dire situations, and have used AW/DP a few times, but maybe it's just because there hasn't been much of a challenge in 5mans to need to use them more.

Is there a certain haste level I should be striving for... or is it like spriests where more haste is almost always better than mastery/crit?

I was sure I had another question... but for the life of me I can't remember it, so I guess that's it for now.
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Cogglamp » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:25 am

Even though you think you might not need it, ToR really is a great talent. I like to try to weave in DLs even when tank damage is low. Provides a nice shield and keeps HoPo high just in case someone decides to stand in purple goo.

I'm sure there is a haste threshold to provide an extra tick of Holy Radiance but for the life of me, I don't know what it is. I just know that I like haste...a lot. In pvp, however, haste falls below crit for me.

Hand of Sacrifice is another fantastic spell, just not on Baleroc when you're healing decimation blade. >.>

Aura Mastery is one of my favorites as well. I know Power Auras helps me keep track of all our cooldowns (we have a lot, more than any other healer I think). My guess is that the 4.3 5 mans will be a little more challenging and will require you to use them (at least for the first 3 days until everyone is geared to the teeth again).

Edit: Might want to ditch those cloth bracers and leather hands ASAP. You're losing out on the Plate Specialization and a lot of intellect. The PvP crafted ones provide a significant amount of intellect and serve as a nice failsafe option until PvE ones can be acquired.
Cogglamp

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:47 am

As for haste plateaus, there was a table from elitist jerks that someone reproduced in one of the threads here. At certain haste levels (including all buffs/transient effects) you will gain an additional tick of Radiance, upto several additional ticks. In general, Radiance ticks once per sec for 10 secs, so every 10% haste is an extra tick, remember to keep judgement haste up once per minute at least for that 9%. I think I now have like 30%+ haste (I do get 13 ticks, at least with judgement haste active), i'll have to check, but generally more is always better. The proposed changes to Radiance in 4.3 will make me cry if they go thru.

Also, you can bubble sac some scenarios. Someone mentioned on a different thread that if you have glyphed DivProt (mostly for raiding prolly) then it is awesome for Sac-DivProt combo as the xfered dmg is all magical. I have used this, and I really like it. Just keep in mind Sac lasts 15 secs and DivProt lasts 6, so you will take a ton of dmg (60% of health if dmg is within the 6 secs, more if dmg equalling 100% of your health take longer than that) and it can be disconcerting watching your health drop. Protector of the Innocent can keep you up if you are not taking direct dmg yourself. Using DivShield-Sac is nice, but the 5min CD limits the frequency and again its shorter duration still leaves you vulnerable, although you can chain both DicProt and DivSh if you needed the full duration for some reason.

Even though you think you might not need it, ToR really is a great talent. I like to try to weave in DLs even when tank damage is low. Provides a nice shield and keeps HoPo high just in case someone decides to stand in purple goo.

^^ definitely.

Also, keep in mind Hand of Prot is awesome for casters. It only protects against physical dmg and therefore only inhibits physical output. HoP on a caster will make them immune to a physical boss attack but allow them to continue to pump magical dps until the tank can build his threat lead.

Salvation can also be good for things, although in a 5-man Aura Mastery and GanK are prolly gonna be your best friends. Just try not to use Holy Shock while GanK is up unless you are desperate.

Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Cogglamp » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:04 am

Agreed, I'm not a huge fan of the HR change. It's a nerf to Holydin PvP as our "sprint" has increased by another 10 seconds and Holydin mobility was already bad. While our survivability might have increased, it's usually bad placement that kills me on my part and the sprint is always a big help.

If you're really hard pressed on AoE healing, Divine Favor + Holy Radiance throws out huge numbers. Not druid like numbers but good enough to stabilize people.
Cogglamp

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:40 am

I love Divine Favor for Baleroc :D

Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Flex » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Hrobertgar wrote:Just keep in mind Sac lasts 15 secs and DivProt lasts 6

12 and 10.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Flex » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:58 pm

I have 23% spell haste in my holy set post judgement and I get 4 ticks from the new Holy Radience.

Spell Power: 6067 (only a blue 346 weapon and mostly 346 blues with a few 359/365 items)
Initial heal is 3454 each tick is 1409
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:51 pm

Cogglamp wrote:Edit: Might want to ditch those cloth bracers and leather hands ASAP. You're losing out on the Plate Specialization and a lot of intellect. The PvP crafted ones provide a significant amount of intellect and serve as a nice failsafe option until PvE ones can be acquired.

Working on it... I think I had green LK items in those slots when they were upgraded... and I haven't had the plate specialization for holy since release... so that's definitely a work in progress atm. T11 gloves are likely my next JP purchase, and once I have the VP, I might consider the VP bracers (assuming something doesn't drop from a dungeon run first.)
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:38 am

I accidentally told Bob, Lana and Catagon that your Paladin was in a rotten state, so they MIGHT be collecting orbs and truegold. *innocent*
Levantine

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:01 am

Lana already knew and was just wanting/needing volatiles to work on truegold. I've been trying to figure out how many of what I need to send him to get the process rolling. I mean, I guess I could look it up online, but I tend to forget once I get home, and can't look it up at work. And to be fair... for a relatively fresh 85, he's not THAT bad. Sure he could be a lot farther along if I was spamming heroics, but he is an alt...
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:55 am

He was also slightly concerned you'd signed up for this weekend on said paladin.

I am positive you signed up on him just to reserve your spot, not actually take him.

:)
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:31 am

I like to make people sweat... I forgot I was on the pally when I signed up and didn't decide to correct the issue, figuring you guys would figure it out (I know, I know... giving you guys the benefit of the doubt might have been too much.) :)
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes