Riddle me this.. Riddle me that.

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Riddle me this.. Riddle me that.

Postby Tev » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:53 am

Invisusira wrote:While exploring the wilderness of Canada, Wild Man Barathorn was captured by hostile frost unicorns. Sabindeus, the powerful Lord of Unicorns, told him he could make one final statement which would determine how he would die. If the statement he made was false, he would be frozen in ice water. If the statement were true, he would be drawn and quartered by moose. Wild Man Barathorn found neither of this options too his liking, so he made a statement that got him out of this seemingly impossible situation. What is the one statement he could have made?

"This Statement I am making now is False"
Tev

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:36 am

Aparantly I don't know how to read properly... the competition is NEXT week so we've got plenty of time to lay out some good riddles! :)
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby sahiel » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:46 am

crazyharry wrote:
Shyrtandros wrote:
Maverick13 wrote:it ran out of petrol

lol :) - he said petrol.

Now I miss visiting the UK.

If you come back, bring some petrol, its bloody expensive over here.

One benefit of moving to the US, however high petrol prices get over here I continue to laughingly fill up commenting how ridiculously cheap it is :D

(And annoying all the Americans as I do so, of course ;) )
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:00 pm

sahiel wrote:
One benefit of moving to the US, however high petrol prices get over here I continue to laughingly fill up commenting how ridiculously cheap it is :D

(And annoying all the Americans as I do so, of course ;) )

I have ceased ALL bitching about gas prices since my time in England & Scotland.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Melathys » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:16 pm

One of us will tell you true,
One will always lie.
Just one question is your due,
And only one reply.
One right answer gets you through,
Which door will you try

also, this has always been one of my favorites.

An old man is dieing, so he brings his three sons into his room. "The three of you have been fantastic sons to me, but only one will get my inheritance. So I have a test for you, and whoever wins shall get my inheritance." He gave each of them a single coin. "With this coin, you will purchase whatever you desire to try to fill this room. Whoever fills this room the most with what they have bought will win."
The eldest son immediately walks out of the room, buys as much straw with the coin as he can.
The middle son thinks a bit longer, walks out and buys as many feathers as he can.
The youngest son thought a bit longer. He walks out, buys two small items and puts them in his pocket.
With all the sons returned, they begin to see who will win. The eldest son brought in all the straw, but only managed to fill a third of the room. The middle son brought in all the feathers, but only managed to fill half the room. Then the youngest son took out the two small items from his pocket, and soon the room was filled.

What were the two small items, and what was the room filled with?
Melathys

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:19 pm

1) Which door would the other guy tell me to take?

2) Flint, Tinder, Smoke?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Jeremoot » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:23 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:Flint, Tinder, Smoke?

Close. A candle and a match. He filled the room with light.
Jeremoot

Postby Melathys » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:31 pm

What is not manmade yet made by man? a baby

I have always hated this one.... If you're stuck in a room with no windows, and no doors, and all you have is a saw and a table, but the walls are too thick to cut through, how do you get out? You cut the table in half, and two halves make a whole (hole) to get out.

What is so fragile that when you say it's name it is broken? Silence
Melathys

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:49 pm

Jeremoot wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:Flint, Tinder, Smoke?

Close. A candle and a match. He filled the room with light.

Hmm. Aesthetically pleasing answer, but flawed: how much of the light in the room did he bring in, and how much was coming in from the window or whathaveyou. I also like the idea of killing the brothers and old man via smoke inhalation, but I'm feeling a little psychotic right now.

The Fragile Thing is neat. I like that very much as a riddle.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:23 am

Mcduffie wrote:
Barathorn wrote:A man pushes a car past a greenhouse, explain why?

But that's not a riddle at all. That's a yes or no question.

"Explain why?"
"No"
"Ok"

"Explain why?"
"Ok"

Actually its a well documented lateral thinking question from the UK from a few years ago. So while techically a question it still works as a riddle. Maybe the definaition of riddle doesn't translate across the pond too well?

The answer is of course 'Because he is playing Monopoly'.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Barathorn » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:25 am

Invisusira wrote:While exploring the wilderness of Canada, Wild Man Barathorn was captured by hostile frost unicorns. Sabindeus, the powerful Lord of Unicorns, told him he could make one final statement which would determine how he would die. If the statement he made was false, he would be frozen in ice water. If the statement were true, he would be drawn and quartered by moose. Wild Man Barathorn found neither of this options too his liking, so he made a statement that got him out of this seemingly impossible situation. What is the one statement he could have made?

I didn't say you wore XXXXXXXXXL unicorn sizes, that was Baelor.

Or

Drink this, and follow me to my cave? All will become clear.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Jeremoot » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:16 am

Barathorn wrote:
Mcduffie wrote:
Barathorn wrote:A man pushes a car past a greenhouse, explain why?

But that's not a riddle at all. That's a yes or no question.

"Explain why?"
"No"
"Ok"

"Explain why?"
"Ok"

Actually its a well documented lateral thinking question from the UK from a few years ago. So while techically a question it still works as a riddle. Maybe the definaition of riddle doesn't translate across the pond too well?

The answer is of course 'Because he is playing Monopoly'.

Maybe it would be better worded as "explain how." In the pretext you could include that he's not a professional strongman.
Jeremoot

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:22 am

I would argue Bara's question is more of a mind teaser than a riddle. Growing up, my parents and their friends would meet up at Chinese restaurants and proceed to socialize for five hours. The kids got amazingly bored -- no portable electronics back in my day get off my fucking lawn -- so we'd tell mind teasers.

The format was you would posit a series of (usually) obscure statements or describe a situation. People could ask yes/no questions, and would have to divine what the back story was.

A few that I remember:

- There is a cabin in the woods with two dead men in it. What happened?

- Rope breaks, bell rings, man dies.

- A man and his daughter go to Europe on vacation, getting separate rooms. The next morning, the daughter has vanished and the hotel claims she never existed. What happened?

We must have gone through dozens of these.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Candiru » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:02 pm

Here are a couple of my favourite riddles:

1)The three light puzzle
  1. There is a room with three light bulbs in.
  2. There is a switch room with three light switches.
  3. All the lights start off.
  4. You have to determine which switch controls which light.
  5. You start in the switch room, you are allowed to fiddle with the switches to your hearts content, before progressing to the light room and can examine the state of the lights before announcing which switch controls which light.
  6. You only get to visit each room the once.

2) The three princess puzzle
The king has a huge treasure vault which only his daughters know how to access. His eldest daughter only tells the truth, his youngest daughter always lies and his middle daughter is mischievous and answers as she sees fit. You have managed to gain the right to marry one of these daughters.

1. The three of them will be presented to you in a room, but you do not know which one is which.
  2. You are allowed to ask one of them one yes or no question, and can then choose which of the three to marry after hearing the answer.
  3. If you ask a question which a princess cannot answer with a yes or no you are executed for causing embarrassment to the princess.
  4. You need to either marry the eldest or the youngest daughter, as once you are married you can question them to your heart's content to find out how to access the king's treasure vault. The middle daughter will not answer your questions in a useful way for this purpose.
How should you go about choosing which daughter to marry?
Candiru

Postby Candiru » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:20 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:
- There is a cabin in the woods with two dead men in it. What happened?

Carbon Monoxide poisoning from inadequate ventilation of their wood stove.

- Rope breaks, bell rings, man dies.

Unfortunate bell-ringing accident.

- A man and his daughter go to Europe on vacation, getting separate rooms. The next morning, the daughter has vanished and the hotel claims she never existed. What happened?

She has been kidnapped and sold as a sex slave.
Candiru

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum