Remove Advertisements

[10] Beth'tilac

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Beth'tilac

Postby Dariok » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:29 am

So my group got Beth down. We had heroism on the kill attempt, though I don't know if it was necessary. A big thing, we had our frost DK handle the adds, and had our survival hunter just throw traps his way ever so often. With the frost dk on the adds, the spinner and drones went down fast.

Here is the log from our kill: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/a40l ... 865&e=2273

Some things I am not sure about, is I somehow took 700k less damage, and the raid in general took about 2M less damage. I did get some gear upgrades from Shannox, so that explains some difference.
Dariok

Postby econ21 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:48 pm

Has anyone got any tips on how to juggle tanking the drone with taunting down the spinners? Usually, we managed to kill the drone before a wave of spinners, but quite often I had one on me or spawning at the time I was supposed to be taunting. That posed a dilemma - keep him at an edge, out of the raid, and leave the spinners up to do their ranged nastiness; or run around in the middle of the raid, taunting spinners, risking the drone breathing all over them.

How do the timers synchronise? Is the two coinciding fairly common or just due to problems with my raid?

If they do coincide - what do people do? I can't see an easy way to keep him faced from the raid and still go after the spinners.

We had a holy paladin downstairs who was also taunting (do holy palas have both righteous defence and hand of reckoning?).
econ21

Postby Darielle » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:06 pm

Your taunt is 40 yard, and RD will work on mobs outside 40 yards as long as the friendly player is within 40 yards.

Just have Drones basically by the Spinner area facing away and taunt away. There's really no reason why you'd want to be outside there, there's no reason for you or the melee to be across the room.
Darielle

Postby econ21 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:56 pm

Darielle wrote:Just have Drones basically by the Spinner area facing away and taunt away.

Thanks, that's great advice. I had been tanking the drone in the SW corner, so he'd be furthest from the spiderling spawn points, but you are right - that's not a priority at that time.
econ21

Postby rodos » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:17 pm

econ21 wrote:We had a holy paladin downstairs who was also taunting (do holy palas have both righteous defence and hand of reckoning?).

Yes.
rodos

Postby Koatanga » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:53 pm

We use a warlock on the spinners. Hits DoTs get their attention, so if I RD off of him I can bring down several of them at once.

We also do it so that I taunt the left-most one and the upstairs tank taunts the right-most one. This prevents redundant taunting.

We send a DK and Elemental Shaman up top at first, but since they can each taunt their own spinner I don't worry about wasting taunts there.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Bellante » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:45 am

frontallobe wrote:"Note that one dps can easily solo the spiderlings (until the last wave where you want to burn with all dps). " -- unless they nurfed them this statement is a bit zealous.

Most people have 1 hunter doing it alone, as are we. He only occasionally asking our spriest to give him a hand.
Bellante

Postby Crimsonheart » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:12 am

we use our assassination rogue and hunter on spiderlings, shadowpriest upstairs (damage reduction and self healing saves healer mana uptop + dots all mobs before/when going up), pally taunts resto druid (threat whores!), affliction lock on spinners/drone, mage on drone.
Crimsonheart

Postby econ21 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:07 am

The guild I am in spent a second full night of wiping at Beth'tilac. Here are the logs for the last 6 attempts of the night; if anyone good at interpreting these has any constructive advice, I would welcome it:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/b4bwn0z8uakltybd/

In all 6 attempts, we failed to get into phase 2 in any decent shape. (This was worse than our best attempt the previous week, when we at least got through a few tank switches with Widow's Kiss). It seems like the basic problem was not killing the adds quickly enough - we had all 5 dps downstairs and still spiderlings were getting to the drone, and/or two drones were up at the same time. But the healers (and dps) were also struggling for mana at times.

Our composition was:
Upstairs: Palatank + priest
Downstairs: priest and paladin healing; me (palatank); hunter; shadow priest; demonology warlock ;boomkin; rogue

I forget the exact assignments, but the hunter and one other ranged tended to focus on spiderlings; the rogue on the drone.

Because we never really got into phase 2, I think the dps numbers look lower than they would on a successful kill (they were about 2k higher per dps on the one attempt the previous week when we got well into phase 2).

The gear level of the dps varies - it's in the range 359-365, I guess but few will have 4pc tier 11.
econ21

Postby rodos » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:28 pm

Wipe 1: Boomkin and tank die to Boiling Spatter (drone) during Venom Rain
Wipe 2: Rogue and tank die to Boiling Spatter during Venom Rain
Wipe 3: Healer dies to Boiling Spatter while being pounded by a spinner
Wipe 4: Upstairs heals stands in the Smoldering Devestation
Wipe 5: Rogue then healer die to Boiling Spatter
Wipe 6: Tank dies with 2 drones on him

So, apart from the slip-up at attempt 4, it seems to be drones taking you out. You're putting 50% more DPSe on them than our raid does. Conclusion: The drones are eating too many spiderlings. From the logs, it looks like they ate 59(!) spiderlings over the course of your 6 attempts. You really, really want this number to be zero. Your DPS on spiderlings is as high as ours, so I'm guessing it's a control/positioning issue.

It also seems that your hunter is not on spiderlings at all. It's mostly your shadow priest (55%), with a bit of help from the warlock, rogue and boomkin. If your hunter is supposed to be on spiderlings, it might be time to have a stern word. It looks like there's some frost traps going down, though the effectiveness appears less than our hunter's, but no damage.
rodos

Postby Torias » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:27 am

As Rodos has said, your problem seems to be all but entirely coming from the fact you're letting the drone eat too many Spiderlings. Consider having the hunter help out on them, as suggested. Both your demo warlock and hunter should be capable of soloing the pack, combined they should be able to tear it to shreds in no time at all.

What Rodos doesn't say and which bears mentioning is that as the tank downstairs, the responsibility is yours to move the drone away from incoming spiderlings if they're slow to go down for whatever reason. There's never any excuse for the drone consuming spiderlings, and while rearrangement of assignments might make life easier you're not doing everything you could in this situation. Keep your eyes open and watch where the spiderlings are approaching from. If they get near to you, just move the drone in the opposite direction. It's very easy not to point the drone into the raid whilst doing this, and in fact the total movement required is rarely anything but negligible.

You might be right about the DPS though honestly I find the DPS requirements on Beth'tilac to be pretty lenient. The damage loss you're seeing relative to previous attempts when you reached phase 2 is probably on account of the fact phase 2 just turns into Patchwerk and DPS can knuckle down and pump out their full rotation uninterrupted.
Torias

Postby econ21 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks for the comments, Rodos and Torias - they are very useful. Most of us ended the raid a little demoralised thinking we just lacked the output, but it's good that you have given us some mechanics issues to work on.

I take the point about kiting the drone away from the spiderlings and thought I was doing that - I am shocked that 59 were eaten and wonder if some of that was in the dying stages of the fight phases when I was down. (Eating has a very visible animation iirc). There was one attempt, I had to run back to pick up the new drone and decided that was more important than letting the old one eat two spiderlings. But obviously there were many more cases than that where I could have done better.

I also need to do better on keeping the boiling splatter firing away from the raid.
econ21

Postby Torias » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:40 am

If you head over to World of Logs and go through each attempt in the expression editor, feeding this as your expression:

Code: Select all
spell = "Consume"
or
overkill > 0 and targetType = "Player"

You'll get a detailed look at how many spiderlings the drones are consuming alongside when people are actually dying. :)
Torias

Postby econ21 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:42 am

Thanks again, Torias. It seems I was often getting squished by powered up drones. I confess I thought spiderlings only healed them, not boosted their power.

One small question if anyone knows: if a spinner has aggro on you, would hand of reckoning get them off their thread? I'm thinking of a holy paladin who might have healer aggro. I've read righteous defence would not get them off in that case; I am not sure about hand of reckoning (I guess the same logic should apply and it would not?).
econ21

Postby Andover » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:53 am

@econ21: Have faith, you have a group composition that can easily down this boss.

Our composition was:
Upstairs: Palatank + priest
Downstairs: priest and paladin healing; me (palatank); hunter; shadow priest; demonology warlock ;boomkin; rogue

Here's my advice to you on this fight:

Upstairs: Best geared tank + Best Healer + Rogue(we usually send our H Pally up and let him bomb away) Have your Rogue go up with the Up Tank and Up Healer to get a head start on Beth. If done correctly she should come down ~80% health. This will give you a HUGE boost to P2. Order going up: Tank, Healer, DPS

Downstairs:
    Assignments:
  • Tanking Drone: If you're downstairs tank the drone within range of the middle location I will mention below. If you have spiderlings chasing you drag your Drone away from them in a CIRCULAR motion around the designated healing position in the middle of the room. Always stay approximately 25-30 yards from the center and keep the Drone faced AWAY from the middle. It's frontal cone splash = bad.
  • Killing Spinners: HUNTER Your hunter should have zero problem quickly dispatching any spinners that may be hanging. Have him turn his pet's growl on to keep the spinners attention. Also, the more spinners you can Righteous Defense down while tank&spank'n the drone the easier it is on your healers.
  • Killing Spiderlings: Shadow Priest + Boomkin Looking at your logs your Boomkin was using Hurricane? That's not a very wise selection. 3x Wild Mushrooms placed in the right spot to hit most of the spiderlings will double their DPS over Hurricane. Click Here - Look at DPS of the Boomkin Have your Shadow Priest flay/sear the Spiderlings to slow them down if you feel they would need help but Mushrooms = OP. Have your Boomkin place mushrooms infront of the slowed spiderlings. When they're about centered over the mushrooms explode them and watch the whole group just melt. Finish off any spiderlings with insta's from the Boomkin/S Priest.
  • Killing Drone: Demo Lock Either have the SP + Boomkin or the SP + Demo Lock on Spiderlings, the other DPS available put on the drone. If they're able to multi-dot and help out with Spinners great. Otherwise the Hunter should have no problems taking out Spinners. With you tanking and 1 full time DPS on the drones you should have have little problem getting them down before the next one comes out. Even if two are out, grab them both and keep them away from the Spiderlings. When I tank this Drones it's very easy. I just stand there. Spiderlings never make it past the middle where the two down healers and Ranged DPS are standing. The more you stay grouped up down below the easier it is for your healers.

Can't stress this enough: If you have someone designated to killing Spinners, they need to do ONLY that when Spinners are up. Same goes for Spiderlings, ONLY that while they are up. Neglecting either of these two targets will cause you more harm than good.

Hope that helps a little. Beyond this, P2 is just group up behind the boss, tank out front. Swap as you get Kissed. Hero + Raid CD's as her stacks build = Loots

You guys can get this down, you have the makeup for it.
Last edited by Andover on Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andover

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)