Heroic Difficulty Ratings

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Heroic Difficulty Ratings

Postby nekojin » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:11 pm

Just wanting to get the Tankadins perspective on how difficult the heroic instances are. I'm assuming here that you have a decent group and healer with the traditional "required" classes for each instance in each case.

Rating of 10 for hardest to 1 easy, this is my opinion.

SH- 3
Aoe tanking at its finest, with a decent healer not too hard. I find CC on the casters helps while you deal with large melee pulls.

Mech - 2
Lock makes it easy mode. Hardest part is keeping control of the adds on the run to last boss and having someone to stun the charged fists on the robots.

SP - 1
Boss'es are easy as is most else as long as you have a CC on big group pulls and watch fear

UB - 2
No real tricks on this one as well but the last boss can be a little tricky on occasion.

Bot - 3
All the bosses are easy and good for badges. One or more CC recommended for the big pulls

Slabs - [8]? haven't made full run

Arc - [9]? haven't made full run

BF - 7
Mobs his hard... seriously hard. But the real reason I give this the high score is for the second boss, the fight leading up 2 is horrible but possible with some fears and cc.

SV - 3
Quite similar to normal, just watch fears. Banish helpful on the first boss.

MT - 7
Some shadow prot helps on first boss. Normal trash not to hard but the last boss is quite horrible.

BM - [8]? haven't made full run

Setthek halls - 5
The fears on the mobs are quite nasty but if you keep them CC'ed till last then its not so bad. The last boss you really have to be on the ball with.

Ramps - 2
Havent had any problems with this long as you careful with the pulls.

Crypts - [8]? haven't made full run

Durnholde - [8]? haven't made full run

Post your opinions. Thanks :)
nekojin

Postby Worldie » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:53 pm

Durnholde is like the easiest heroic around if you have a rogue that can solo-place the bombs. I'd say 3

Arcatraz itself is easy, you just need a proper healer and proper gear since things hit very hard. I'd say 5

Crypts is easy, the only "hard" part is the 1st boss. I'd say 4

BM is very easy with a proper party, melee dps is wonderful here, and a shadowpriest is a good help. I'd say 5

Shadowlab is not hard, is just longzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. 6 since you kinda need CC

Am i the only one that consider last boss of heroic mana tombs a joke but the trashs before him a pain? I've wiped a lot of times on the trashs, never on the boss.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Invisusira » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:24 pm

N/A on the ones that I've never done a whole heroic run on.

I've never done the whole BF on heroic...
Ramps - 2
BF - N/A

Coilfangs are, like, regular instances.
SP - 2
SV - 1
UB - 2

I hate Auch.
Crypts - N/A
Sethic - 5
MT - 6
Slabs - 3

I never liked bot for some reason...
Mech - 2
Bot - 4
Arc - 5

I've never bothered going over to CoT on heroic. WTB portal!
Invisusira

Postby Katatonia » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:40 pm

Ramparts - 2 - Trash hits somewhat hard, and there's 2 nasty pulls. No CC required though. Bosses are a complete joke, the easiest of all heroics.

Blood Furnace - 3 - Again the trash hits hard, and there are 4 sets that are painful (1 set if you have a warlock to banish). CC not required, but banish is handy. Bosses are also a joke here, even counting the gauntlet before the second boss as part of his event.

Shattered Halls - 4 - Trash is AE heaven. Bosses are mostly easy except for Kargath who likes to splatter cloth wearers. If you run the instance with no cloth and all ranged dps, it's much easier.

Slave Pens - 1 - Aside from the two pulls near the end with soothsayer (MC) + 2 champions (fear), it's a yawnfest. You can skip the majority of the trash and all the bosses are trivial.

Underbog - 3 - A few hard hitting packs at the start, and a couple really hard hitting giants at the end are the only noteworthy trash pulls. No CC needed. Bosses are easy except for the last one that has somewhat of a luck factor if you don't have extremely high dps. Sometimes adds will spawn like crazy and kill off the rest of the group, sometimes no adds spawn at all.

Steamvaults - 3 - The two bog lords at the very beginning are the only challenging trash. There's some fearing to be dealt with, but if you pull to the right places no one will ever run into more adds. Bosses are only a little more difficult than on non-heroic.

Auchenai Crypts - ? - Never bothered to do it. I hated the non-heroic version, and even if it comes up as the daily I'm sure there are much better ways to get badges.

Mana-Tombs - 7 - Trash sucks; lots of stuns and other aggro dumping tricks make CC actually useful here, which makes me hate the place. Bosses range from trivial (Pandemonius w/ shadow resist) to very annoying (Shaffar). Complete waste of time for badges, except for going there just to kill Pandemonius and leave.

Sethekk Halls - 6 - More annoying trash here, but not quite as bad as MT. CC (shackle) is still kind of useful, and there's a few trash pulls that hit really hard. First boss is easy, last boss is easy if your group can follow simple instructions (which means he's actually quite hard most of the time). Raven boss is moderately difficult, depending on how good the druid is at keeping HoT's on the three birds. Having a druid in the group who can spawn him is the only thing that makes the place remotely worthwhile, even as a daily.

Shadow Labyrinth - ? - Only ever done the first boss, and trash up to that point isn't too bad. First boss didn't seem much harder than on non-heroic. I think the ogre fight is the single worst fight they've ever put in the game, so I doubt I'll ever go past that point. Personally I think they should just nuke all of Auchindoun from orbit and start over.

Mechanar - 3 - Easy trash, except for the gauntlet at the end. Charged fist is a pain without someone to interrupt. CC not needed, though having a warlock might save you a couple minutes total by not having to go right at all. Bosses are trivial except for Nethermancer.

Botanica - 4 - Mostly simple trash, but there's a lot of it. No CC needed at all. Bosses are barely harder than on non-heroic, but the demon can still be brutal depending on group make up. Warp Splinter requires high dps if you want to use the easy strat and just burn him down.

Arcatraz - ? - Sounds fairly difficult, but I've never had time to do it when it's come up as the daily, and don't really have any interest in doing it otherwise.

Old Hillsbrad - 4 - Difficulty of this place is greatly exaggerated on places like wowwiki. The only thing I find annoying is that, unlike in Shattered Halls, hunter mobs here can still use scatter shot on heroic. Everything else is just a long series of 'consecrate and AE like crazy' pulls. The bosses are not hard either.

Black Morass - 5 - I give it a 5 because of the times a rift keeper has spawned behind a portal and refused to move so that I could properly consecrate the other adds, and chaos has ensued. Second and third boss can be somewhat painful depending on the group. It's probably worth mentioning that I've never done BM without a shadow priest for the mana regen.

As far as what's actually worth doing for badges (not counting dailies): SP, UB, Mech, Sh. Halls, Ramparts, and MT (Pandemonius only). I don't think I could stomach doing more than 20 badges worth in a single day so I pretty much never do any of the others unless it's a daily. I also avoid anyplace where CC is actually useful, because the dps I bring are usually the ones who can't CC well or at all (elem shaman, dps warrior, hunter, ret paladin, etc.).
Katatonia

Postby nekojin » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:28 am

Ok I'm guessin you guys are decked in full epics then if you find these heroics so easy. Myself I am mostly 70 Blues with about 4-5 purple items. Everything is enchanted and gem'd appropriately.

In fact getting epic'd is very hard as pretty much ALL the purples from heroics are completely useless to the Tankadin. Its coming to the point I have to run heroics over and over to get enough badges in 3 weeks for one item. Yes raiding would be the solution but with no raid guild and gear not up to getting into raiding guilds, is tuff. The only heroic item I am after is the belt at the end of BM but am finding that a hard instance to complete and get groups with very little interest unless its on daily.
nekojin

Postby Zeels » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:45 am

Agree with above post. Saying that heroics are easy in full epic gear is kind of ......

For instance heroic shattered halls is easy with the right gear, but if you are stuck with some blues + a few badge epics, things will hit like trucks in there.

These are my ratings. Notable old hillsbrand as a 5. The trash here
(even if you bypass stuff with a rogue) is not that easy, and I remember
our healer having a hard time healing all ppls.

Ramparts - 3
Blood Furnace - 4
Shattered Halls - 5
Slave Pens - 1 -
Underbog - 2
Steamvaults - 3
Auchenai Crypts - 4
Mana-Tombs - 7
Sethekk Halls - 6
Shadow Labyrinth - 6
Mechanar - 4
Botanica - 4
Arcatraz - 6
Old Hillsbrad - 5
Black Morass - 6
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Ghinzu » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:23 am

Couldn't rate all of them because I miss some runs (Crypts, Durnholde, Arcatraz and Bota)

I'd just give a 7 to Blood Furnace because the trashs hits really hard (2k5-3k / hit mitigated) and the last portion of the instance is a real pain (Felguards hitting damn hard + weird aggro).

Outgearing the instances of course is easier (especially as a tank) but the most important thing is knowing what you are going to do in there. It helps a lot :roll:
Ghinzu

Postby Worldie » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:17 am

nekojin wrote:Ok I'm guessin you guys are decked in full epics then if you find these heroics so easy. Myself I am mostly 70 Blues with about 4-5 purple items. Everything is enchanted and gem'd appropriately.

In fact getting epic'd is very hard as pretty much ALL the purples from heroics are completely useless to the Tankadin. Its coming to the point I have to run heroics over and over to get enough badges in 3 weeks for one item. Yes raiding would be the solution but with no raid guild and gear not up to getting into raiding guilds, is tuff. The only heroic item I am after is the belt at the end of BM but am finding that a hard instance to complete and get groups with very little interest unless its on daily.

Well the OP is asking a scale of difficulty for the heroics.

As blue neo 70 you should not even dare to do any heroic with a difficulty higher than 3 :)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Katatonia » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:21 am

Zeels wrote:Agree with above post. Saying that heroics are easy in full epic gear is kind of ......

For instance heroic shattered halls is easy with the right gear, but if you are stuck with some blues + a few badge epics, things will hit like trucks in there.

Shrug, I'm saying they are easy in [almost] full epic gear gained from doing heroics, and a couple things from Kara. The ones I say are easy now were easy during the process of getting the badges to buy all those epics too, and when I do them now I have to downgrade significantly if I want to avoid stopping to drink after every pull. You stop them from hitting like trucks with block value, and most of my BV set is blue, not purple.

The biggest difference now is how lenient I can be with the healer requirements. I still prefer my friend the holy priest with 1600+ healing, but if I get stuck with a shaman who lies about his spec (41/0/20 != resto) and only has 700 healing I can still complete Shattered Halls.
Katatonia

Postby kalbear » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:23 am

Shrug, I'm saying they are easy in [almost] full epic gear gained from doing heroics, and a couple things from Kara.
So you're saying that after you run some heroics it's easy to do heroics?

There's a shock.

I also hear that Kara is easy to run after running Kara a bunch of times.
kalbear

Postby Katatonia » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:15 pm

You took that out of context, conveniently leaving out the sentence where I said that I downgrade a good amount of the stuff I bought with badges in order to actually take enough damage to gain some mana back. I thought they were easy while getting the badges too. All it takes is a couple runs to learn the place, a good healer, and three other semi-competent or better players.
Katatonia

Postby Zeels » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:25 pm

So it's about:

-Gear
-Experience
-Classes

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm ... 1487&sid=1

For instance BF is piss easy, but if you don't have any CC, the 2nd boss can actually be a real pain. So depending on party setup I could rank it 1 or 6.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby kalbear » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:42 pm

All it takes is a couple runs to learn the place, a good healer, and three other semi-competent or better players.

It takes 5 people who know what they're doing, but it especially takes a good healer. Heroics are made or broken on the healer more than anything else. A tank who is reasonably equipped in blues can handle a few heroics assuming they're talented. But they won't be able to do anything at all without a good healer who knows what they're doing.

Having DPS who have useful CC is also really important for a smooth run, at least at first.

I don't think that any heroic for a blue-wearing paladin is going to be easy, even with a great healer. Not at first. Once you get the hang of 'em it'll go faster, and once you learn it it'll go better, but it's not easy while you're underequipped. If you found it easy, it's because your group was good and your healer was great.
kalbear

Postby Tekkel » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:38 am

Aye most of it depends on your group. I actually ran heroics with a great variety of guildies both mains and alts as I farmed badges for the new gear that came with the patch.

Must say that when I started tanking as prot I had allready expiernced ssc up to leotheras as a healer and gotten quite a bit of tanking items from kara/gruul.

Easiest heroic for me back then was Underbog with a healer that knows what he's doing. When you're just starting bringing a mage along to sheep casters on heroics doesn't hurt. They do the most damage to u in any aoe pack. Also for stuff slike SP and SL a fear breaking mechanic is good. Either fear ward or tremor totem should help u.

I always prefered locks,mages,hunter and shadowpriests in my group setups when I started tanking. Just get some cc in when u start doing heroics in blues and u can always swap to any setup once u perfectly know how many mobs on each pull u can tank without problems.

Also some classes make certain fights on heroic trivial.
Examples on this are the following.
Mage for Hillsbrad last boss. (Woot no dispels of your righteous fury)
Warlock for mech. Easy trash
Enhancement shammy for BM. Grouding totem rocks against the fireballs

Paladin Tank for any heroic. We make trash tanking look easy :)

So when starting look at UB/Mech/SP/Ramparts.
Moroes lucky pocket watch makes bog lords look easy.

If u can manage those and have certain classes availble for CC look at SH/BF/Botanica/Sethek/SV

The others are hard for following reasons:
Arcatraz: First boss needs a good amount of shadow resistance on the tank and without any aoe heal it's quite impossible unless u massively outgear the place. Trash here hits like a truck so u need a well geared party.
Old Hillsbrad: First part is hard to get any working CC and fast respawns of patrols make it a pita. After that it gets easier except u don't have much time to drink between each trash pack.
Black Morass: Generally fast paced where u need a good healer, high dps output and when u start doing it alot of consumables are welcome.
Auchenai Crypts: Crap trash, can be hard to control, just utterly annoying for a mere 2 badges. Bosses aren't hard though.
Shadow Labs: I seriously outgear this place but fears are annoying. The shadowpriest mindflay is overpowered when u also tank the rest of a trashpack. The second boss is a pain in the ass with your long taunt cooldown and he burns your mana during mindcontrol on useless stuff.
3rd boss requires some good dps. And last but not least boss nr4 is a real retard check on how fast people in your party can move.

I think that pretty much sums it up.
Tekkel

Postby Frickit » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:07 pm

Frickit

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics