Maintaining threat while dead... how long?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Maintaining threat while dead... how long?

Postby Marilee » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:41 am

I have died and been resurrected while fighting (and personally tanking) Shannox three times in recent memory. Two of those times were super fast, and Shannox ran right back to me as soon as I was up. The third time was a bit slower (or maybe that was my imagination), and when I arose I had lost all my threat on Shannox and he ran around murdering everybody... me last. ;)

Is there some mechanic where a dead character retains their threat for a few seconds after death? Do we know how long that period of time is? Or was my retaining my threat when dead/rezd random and had nothing to do with how long it took to rez/accept? Anybody else have experience with this?

Been trying to figure out if it was a matter of
1) fast timing + a built in feature (a specific time blizz has set before a dead person loses threat),
2) randomness, or
3) lag (so a variable time blizz has NOT set before a dead person loses threat)
Marilee

Re: Maintaining threat while dead... how long?

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:25 pm

It's a Shannox specific quirk, implemented shortly after instance release, so that a tank death on that fight wasn't an instant wipe given the mobs are all untauntable. What matters is how you die - e.g. if you're tanking Shannox and one of his abilities (auto attack, or his cleave, or the dot for example) is what causes the killing blow, you'll keep aggro on him when you res. If an immolation trap kills you, or possibly the aoe from his spear (not sure), then you lose it.
Rhiannon

Re: Maintaining threat while dead... how long?

Postby Marilee » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:07 pm

Oh, fight specific. Very interesting. Sorry I put this in the Theorycraft section then, mods. Thought it was something more widespread than just a Shannox feature but just hadn't noticed it elsewhere since "untauntable" is rare these days.
Marilee

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations