Remove Advertisements

Njall's Happy Fun Time Role Playing Train of Pain (RPGs)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Njall's Happy Fun Time Role Playing Train of Pain (RPGs)

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:01 pm

Njall wrote:Of course, it would probably be like a Barbara Hambly's Darwath novels.

Holy crap I've been trying to remember this series for years.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:29 pm

Vanifae wrote:I need ideas for a desert based undead scenario with a wealthy innocent lord and Orcus worshiping assassins.

D&D 4The Edition for 3rd level characters :)

Take "Desert of Desolation" out behind the shed. Shoot it. Strip it's body for usable organs.

Shai Hulud.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Yeah I am getting the D&D 4E fever, I really like the system and I want to run a mini-campaign for the summer while my players are away. But what to do? Also the fact that Dark Sun is coming back makes me happy in the pants, I already preordered the Campaign book, monster manual, and the first adventure for shits and giggles.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Kelaan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:46 am

So my best friend was visiting this week, and it turns out that he and his wife want to play D&D... as do my wife and I. In fact, he actually is mildly interested in DMing, whereas I'd like to shirk that duty as decisively as possible.

However, he lives two time zones away (-6 GMT vs my -8). Do you guys have suggestions on some online-capable tools we could use? I'm thinking Skype + speakers / mic, and using my wife's tablet PC for running mapping software, or something, but I really don't know what's out there. I'm perfectly fine with us rolling physical dice (and I imagine he will prefer that), but basically we'd like a frugal way to set it up (so, no Emissary + Projector, sadly, as awesome as that woudl be), as well as tips on how to make it work well.

D&D 4E is very much a tactical combat game, so I think we WOULD need to have a way to represent maps and characters on the map. Is there good software for this that you recommend?

edit:
Campaign Cartographer (or similar) looks like a great tool for making maps, but I'm more interested in having a multiplayer virtual table, where we can have a map layer, moveable tokens, that sort of thing.

edit2:
... apparently clarifying that helped me realize that I was Searching Wrong. Searching for "d&d virtual tabletop" seems to be giving good results. That said, if you USE a particular tool, and like it (or dislike it), please do share. =)
Kelaan

Postby Vanifae » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:36 pm

I don't use any yet Kelaan, but I might.

I am actually doing some world building/campaign prep if anyone is interested I am willing to share my craptacular ideas.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Kelaan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:13 pm

http://www.rptools.net/ 's MapTool looks pretty much like what I want. I think we won't care if other people are rolling dice off-screen.

Now to get a 10ft (15 ft?) VGA cable and a decent mic + speakers setup so that we can use Skype on my wife's laptop. :D
Kelaan

Postby Aubade » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:26 pm

:Defibrillator:

I miss this thread.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Jerth » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:27 pm

Njall wrote:
Vanifae wrote:Earthdawn is a good fantasy setting that does not get it's just due. I loved the hell out of that game and it had a simply fabulous magic item system.

And one can always consider it to be "Shadowrun: The Early Years." Some interesting speculation on what the world would look like assuming the Bugs and their masters ever really, really got going like they did in Earthdawn...

Of course, it would probably be like a Barbara Hambly's Darwath novels.

Yay, other people who know of Earthdawn, whenever I talk to people about that RPG system I tend to get blank stares. Awesome system, a great story and background, I just wish I could find people localally to play it again.
Jerth

Postby Dazhbog » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:11 pm

I have percolating ideas for a D&D campaign I'd like to run sometime soon, probably in 4E since most of my friends around here who expressed interest aren't tabletop people. The basic idea is the party begins with a (doomed) defending action as their small hometown on the outskirts of Country is invaded by Large_Invading_Force. This kicks off a fighting retreat style campaign as they head for the nation's capital to warn them of the invasion, followed by Defense of Capital (with less doom!) and then if they want to continue, they become part of either pushing the invaders back, or a resistance movement. I haven't decided the details on that part yet.

In the meantime, I have a friend trying to get momentum together for a game of Eclipse Phase. It's a free (woot) d100 system that's loosely based on Shadowrun mechanics and drops you into a post-Singularity setting where each character consists of a transhuman "ego" (mind) residing in a swappable "morph" (body). Earth has been made barren by rampaging godlike-AIs, transhumanity is spread out along the solar system, and we've managed first contact with a somewhat aloof race of merchant aliens. If you've read Accelerando by Charles Stross, it's basically an RPG version of that. I'm working on a character now, and it's pretty awesome.
Dazhbog

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:01 pm

I got into a decent Exalted table, and got somewhat surprised at how easy the exalts die without PDs o.O Even aware of the problem it didn't really sink in until after that.

Now the Fairy Twins Wandering Theater just opened, "Spreading love, happiness, a desire to live and dismember everyone who stands in the way of that."
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Xenix » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Dazhbog wrote:I have percolating ideas for a D&D campaign I'd like to run sometime soon, probably in 4E since most of my friends around here who expressed interest aren't tabletop people. The basic idea is the party begins with a (doomed) defending action as their small hometown on the outskirts of Country is invaded by Large_Invading_Force. This kicks off a fighting retreat style campaign as they head for the nation's capital to warn them of the invasion, followed by Defense of Capital (with less doom!) and then if they want to continue, they become part of either pushing the invaders back, or a resistance movement. I haven't decided the details on that part yet.

I forsee much player death in the beginning of such a campaign, as my experience has shown most (other) players are way too overconfident and either refuse to run away or get themselves in a situation where they can't. Immovable rods were my favorite for entertaining getaways - use 'em to make a nice exit hole on an airship in motion, use 'em for jumping off cliffs/waterfalls, use 'em with a time stop to give you time to shove them in Death's eye sockets and rib cage to give you time to run (that was a fun fight). Not so much of that in the 4th edition campaigns I've been in though; too much focus on ultimate damage.

You could always explain what's going to happen in advance of course, but that would ruin the entertainment value of seeing how many players go down before they realize booking it is a good idea. :twisted:
Kimurellia - Holy/Protection Paladin - Scions of Destiny - Eredar-US
Xenix

Postby Delphineas » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:14 pm

First time role playing was this January, new d&d campaign. No one in the group picked caster nukers, which landed them in trouble against gargoyles before. So I rolled a CN dwarf wizard, level 1.

We rescue a girl in a cage from kobolds, and when she runs away, I cast charm person on her, mainly because I couldn't imagine why she was running.
She became our healer, some homebrew sorcerer type, who also was CN, descendant of some famous necromancer I rolled knowledge of, not completely human.

Anyway we didn't get along. One battle, I (on a whim, not maliciously) spanked her with shocking grasp. Luckily the monk knew first aid. One dungoen, we entered a bath hall. The stupid bard ignored my words of caution, and the clothes animated, one straitjacketing the monk. Having picked up some stray firewood on the way down, (our dwarf fighter had decided to carry as much on his back as he could, one piece fell out onto my toe.) Not caring if I hit the robe or the bard, I chucked my wood. Being a strength dwarf, and 2 20s later, I beheaded a robe.

VORPAL FIREWOOD! :twisted:

Last room, boss spawns, I send my cat familiar to be cute and cuddly. Boss magic missiles it in the face. It dies, i roll save. Now, I neglected to read the PHB section on combat prior, but others had bull rushed in the session, so on my tur I yelled "BITCH KILLED MY CAT!" and bull rushed. Annd succeeded in knocking her down. She promptly ran away from me and the other party member fighting her (rest was fending off her 2 guards.) Other guy knocks her out, I coup de grace her with my last spell. shocking grasp.

The GM was kind enough to res my cat in town when we hit level 2. helped that the party dragged a gold statue along. Currently my char is outside town, banished for tazering the dwarf warrior. He had it coming, he blew up my beard lighting a lighthouse with gutbuster. :twisted:
Fan of angels and catgirls.
Current MMO: EVE
Delphineas

Postby sahiel » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:43 am

Xenix wrote:I forsee much player death in the beginning of such a campaign, as my experience has shown most (other) players are way too overconfident and either refuse to run away or get themselves in a situation where they can't. Immovable rods were my favorite for entertaining getaways - use 'em to make a nice exit hole on an airship in motion, use 'em for jumping off cliffs/waterfalls, use 'em with a time stop to give you time to shove them in Death's eye sockets and rib cage to give you time to run (that was a fun fight). Not so much of that in the 4th edition campaigns I've been in though; too much focus on ultimate damage.

You could always explain what's going to happen in advance of course, but that would ruin the entertainment value of seeing how many players go down before they realize booking it is a good idea. :twisted:

I've been running the Pathfinder Kingmaker path for a little while now, at the very start I explained ooc to the players that they decided what to do and where to go, they had their mandate but what they actually did was up to them, however if they felt they were out of their depth they should probably reevaluate where they had gone, they all nodded and looked serious.

Four sessions later they're 2nd level and have traveled faaar beyond the area their charter called for them to clear for settlement. They find a recently revealed cairn an earthquake had torn open the side of, start exploring and eventually awaken the ancient (CR 6) warrior buried there, whose tribe fought a war of extermination against elves as depicted in old carvings in the cairn, the party is mostly elves of some sort, the carvings which are everywhere show him slaughtering hordes of elven warriors and mages before finally being bought down... so of course, they attack.

After some miraculous rolls on their part they end up a few rounds later dragging the unconscious half of the party out of the cairn and desperately trying to stabilise them before they die. As soon as that's done? They plan how to go back in and fight the cairn wight again. I swear, these people go from intelligent programmers to tunnel vision psychopaths the moment we start playing.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:58 am

sahiel wrote:After some miraculous rolls on their part they end up a few rounds later dragging the unconscious half of the party out of the cairn and desperately trying to stabilise them before they die. As soon as that's done? They plan how to go back in and fight the cairn wight again. I swear, these people go from intelligent programmers to tunnel vision psychopaths the moment we start playing.

I think this is a matter of "know your players". Sometimes players just want to kill shit. I feel like if you set up a potential encounter for a group that you intend to be avoided, and you know your players have been hacking and slashing their way through everything consistently so far without any regard for the comparative strength of their opponents, you may want to rethink the way you present such a situation, or even using it at all.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby sahiel » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:30 pm

Sabindeus wrote:I think this is a matter of "know your players". Sometimes players just want to kill shit. I feel like if you set up a potential encounter for a group that you intend to be avoided, and you know your players have been hacking and slashing their way through everything consistently so far without any regard for the comparative strength of their opponents, you may want to rethink the way you present such a situation, or even using it at all.

To be fair, I do malign them somewhat, generally they're smart, intelligent players who have in fact run some amazing ambushes and diplomatic coups on my npcs, but now and then (usually at the worst times possible) they turn into bull headed psychopaths and all the planning goes out the window till they can murder something.

The problem being, it's hard to run a sandbox adventure which involves a very large area with encounters growing progressively more challenging as they get further and further into wilderness and unexplored territory for a group that switches between methods so wildly while still keeping it as an area that they can adventure within over a good level range, no small part being that (at least imo) not everything in the world should be able to be defeated when the players meet it. Sometimes npcs will just be too tough whether they be friendly/hostile/whatever, in fact that can lead to some fantastic roleplay and future plot twists, I've had groups go to incredible lengths to bring down the 'big bad' when said npc was simply someone who got in their way but was beyond their ability at the time, they developed a wholly player driven rivalry with and plotted and planned to destroy them, sidelong to the actual 'plots' big bad.

In my case their cleric talked them out of continuing aggression with no input at all needed from me, she had been catching up when they first went in and when she reached them and found out what had happened she was aghast. Being a follower of a funerary god who considers tombs sacred ground she spent a good while chastising them for awakening the dead and by the end of her sermon they were falling over themselves apologising to her fuming character, great stuff and everyone had a whale of a time :)
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum