Remove Advertisements

Deus Ex

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Deus Ex

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:26 am

I decided to go pick this game up at the start of the 3 day weekend.

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed it and found it to be very refreshing compared to the cut & paste FPS's they put on the market every 6 months or so and call them "new" (Call of Duty or Halo anyone?)don't get me wrong I love my good old fashion face blaster but this was very nice.

I did find the start to be a little rough, they don't give you any "hands on" training / practice with the mechanics and throw you into a room of 5 or more guys. I would have enjoyed if the first 5 minutes of the starter area was linear with a tutorial at least to show you the ropes. (The videos where a cool feature but I didn't find them nearly as useful.)

I only really disliked 2 things about the game. (3 if you count the retarded boss fights everyone has mentioned).
1) The side mission "Motherly Ties" bugged on me and I couldn't turn it in (which is common from what I found online)
2) It's TOO SHOOOORT - GIVE ME MOOOR ;). I wish the game itself was longer had more side missions, maybe 1-2 more areas to explore instead of jumping back n forth between Detroit & Shanghai. I took my time exploring, hacking, smelling roses.. all that good stuff. I think I got between 25-30 hours of played in?

What I liked.
Some of the takedown cutscenes are just awesome. (Smashing through a wall to knock-out 2 guys skyrocketed this game into my top favorites.)
I like that when you get hit; it matters.. it's been a long time since i've played a game on normal and had 1 enemy gun me down for being less than careful.

Now that i've beaten the game I don't know whether I should keep the game and possibly replay it again and try to go for "Pacify" (Don't kill anyone except bosses) or while it still has high value, trade it it back into gamestop. Commonly I don't replay FPS's. I MAY replay a RPG 1 or 2 times to see "the other side of things".
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Invisusira » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:37 am

Protip: trading a game in to Gamestop will NEVER get you "high value."

Also, <3 takedowns.
Invisusira

Postby PsiVen » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:14 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:
PsiVen wrote:the uselessness of every energy pip beyond the first.

Depends how you're playing I guess. When you can use two or three energy bars to just walk right through the middle of a room full of enemies without being seen it comes in useful.

I managed to get the game working again after having to shut it down a couple times in the task manager, and finished off the TYM section. After the cutscene with the boss I just hit invis and ran right through the middle of all the guards to the elevator. I'm surprised it worked, because I don't have the silent running aug.

Though I guess the rest of the time I only use energy for the rare takedown.

Well, think of it this way: The only way to regenerate energy beyond 1 pip is to use an item that regenerates 1-3 batteries (bars, packs, jars). The only benefit of increasing your maximum energy level is that you can charge up higher at one time... but at any given moment, you can hit a hotkey or open your inventory to instantaneously increase your energy before it hits zero. There's no reason to raise your maximum.

The only thing the upgrades actually do is allow you to use a Jar without wasting some of the energy, but they take up a 2x2 space in your inventory and don't stack at all. Even playing nonlethal I thought these wasted too much inventory space.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Aubade » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:41 pm

Invisusira wrote:Protip: trading a game in to Gamestop will NEVER get you "high value."

Also, <3 takedowns.

Don't even start with this shit.

You can get like 40-50 bucks for a game if you take advantage of the trade bonuses etc etc that we do every week.

False info = cool
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Invisusira » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:41 am

No offense to you at all, Aubade, but I'd much rather the money from game sales go to the people that made the game.
...this is where I would link the Extra Credits video on the subject, which sums up my feelings nicely, but they're in the process of moving from Escapist (who not only didn't pay they, but actually forced EC to give THEM money) to PA TV, so the archives are en route.
Invisusira

Postby Aubade » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:29 am

Invisusira wrote:No offense to you at all, Aubade, but I'd much rather the money from game sales go to the people that made the game.
...this is where I would link the Extra Credits video on the subject, which sums up my feelings nicely, but they're in the process of moving from Escapist (who not only didn't pay they, but actually forced EC to give THEM money) to PA TV, so the archives are en route.

I understand how it works but if it matters, then why don't you just buy new games and never ever ever trade them in?

I just don't understand where your "NEVER" comes from. Will you get what you paid? nope. Will you get more than you can from selling it on ebay or something (Assuming good condition.) Probably not. Will you get the best value for it than any other store/pawn shop? Yep.
Aubade

Postby Invisusira » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:36 am

Aubade wrote:Will you get more than you can from selling it on ebay or something (Assuming good condition.) Probably not.

:cough:

Not only will you "probably" be able to get more on Ebay, you'll get it in cash money. Not in-store credit (and, in the case of the trade-in deals, in-store credit towards only specific items).

Now, granted, if what you're looking to trade it in for is one of those on the trade-in deal list, hey, there you go.
Invisusira

Postby Aubade » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:41 am

Invisusira wrote:
Aubade wrote:Will you get more than you can from selling it on ebay or something (Assuming good condition.) Probably not.

Aubade wrote:Will you get the best value for it than any other store/pawn shop? Yep.

For what we advertise/promote. We're good at it.

It's part of the training now, to tell my employee's that we're the best STORE to trade at. I often get people trying to trade stuff in and tell them to go online and sell it (I had a kid come in with his parents, got 2 3DS's for his birthday, no receipt. I told him instead of trading it in, go sell it online since it's BRAND new.

MOST of us aren't dicks. I'll downright tell people the deal, but the truth is, if you just want to trade in games that aren't really "NEW" anymore, we're the best place around.

If you want to talk more about it, PM me. I don't want to derail the thread more.
Aubade

Postby Invisusira » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:43 am

(Edited my above post while you were writing)

Again, it's nothing against you personally. I know a lot of great people - like yourself - who work there and truly enjoy games. I'm just not a huge fan of many of EB Game's practices.
Invisusira

Postby Aubade » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:54 am

Invisusira wrote:(Edited my above post while you were writing)

Again, it's nothing against you personally. I know a lot of great people - like yourself - who work there and truly enjoy games. I'm just not a huge fan of many of EB Game's practices.

The trade promotions aren't game-specific all the time, those are just specific ones. We do PLENTY of different trade promotions. And I apologize if I'm coming off mad or something, I'm not. I talk to a lot of people online that LOATHE GameStop, and I just try to figure out why, and clear the air on a lot of the misconceptions about our store. For example, people think we take home new games and play them, then re-seal them as new. That is against company policy, we can only take home used games, and can actually fire people for taking home new games.
Aubade

Postby cerwillis » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Last time I was at GameStop the guy couldn't figure our the math on all of the 10% 5% w/e bonuses I would get if I traded shit and bought new vs trading and buying used or w/e. In his defense, it was extremely complicated, but I still got a laugh. Ultimately we agreed that he should just run it through the computer and see what it said.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Passionario » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:57 am

Aubade wrote:why don't you just buy new games and never ever ever trade them in?

Sounds like a good plan to me. :)
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:44 am

I decided tuesday night that I would start a new play through to get the achievements I didn't get the first run through and be the ultimate collector, making sure I loot / hack EVERYTHING and not just "most" stuff.

I'm going for Pacifist (Don't kill anyone), Foxiest of the Hounds (Do not set off any alarms), and the beat the game on the hard mode all in one run..

This play through is taking 2x longer because i'm determined to knock out EVERY enemy without being detected. There are several ways to skip most enemies but I refuse to leave a bad guy "unpunished". :)
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:51 am

You need to be careful, there's a bug where stuns and non-lethal takedowns turn the body into a corpse and fail Pacifist. Better to avoid them entirely because of that.

(I failed Pacifist before I knew about it, in the first level, and later killed two drug dealers in a sidequest. Other than that I've stayed non-lethal, though.)
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Shyrtandros » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:29 am

KysenMurrin wrote:You need to be careful, there's a bug where stuns and non-lethal takedowns turn the body into a corpse and fail Pacifist. Better to avoid them entirely because of that.

(I failed Pacifist before I knew about it, in the first level, and later killed two drug dealers in a sidequest. Other than that I've stayed non-lethal, though.)

Yeah I read up on stuff like that happening, I've been trying to pay VERY close attention - from what I read as long as you get that "Merciful +20" bonus or w/e it is then it will not count against you.. What I did find challenging is the areas with ledges or the sewer with electricity sometimes the targets will fall off and die and it counts against you so I've had to "reload" a few times to get my angles / timing perfect.
Shyrtandros

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum