Remove Advertisements

[10] Ragnaros

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:38 am

For some reason, we just suck at this fight... we barely get to Phase 2.5/3

It still seems like a lot of damage going on for some reason.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:40 am

Where are the problems? Do you lose people when someone breaks the trap? (ie, is something not alerting the raid when they're breaking a trap so that the raid can prepare for it? Or maybe they're breaking a trap when the raid has too low health?)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:45 am

RL is on trap duty and he's really good at announcing it but still feels like a lot of damage coming from it. We swap at 4 stacks.

It just seems everyone gets overwhelmed between the seeds/hammer/ring of fire happening in a short span of time. It has happened to me as well, I'm like "No fire, I swapped... OH SHIT, STANDING IN HAMMER" *die*
---
Klaudandus

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:51 am

We swap at three... but occasionally swap at four if we (well okay usually me) is bad about not noticing the other tank's stacks or whatever.

For the second phase... we move very close into Rag's melee range when the hammer is coming up, then back out to max melee range when the swirly fire ground thing has disappeared and there's engulfing flames coming up next. They're completely predictable since one comes after the other.

As for the seeds, do you have some raid cooldowns you can use? Spirit link, aura mastery, divine guardian, etc.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:58 am

If its the seed phase, damage is proximity based so people need to get far away. Also, raid CDs work here. when I heal this I use Holy Radiance and glyphed DP for every seed phase. Every other seed phase I use aura Mastery. I believe our bear also uses his raid speed boost to help people clear the seed area.

Also, plan ahead for the risk of engulfing flames and hammer. Stack closer to max melee range as you run from the first group of seeds because there will be an engulfing flames as you gather, and if you are too far forward in melee it can make it difficult to escape, followed by a hammer that is often completely obscured by the raid so watch your timers and move based on where it should be even if you can't see it. For the second seed phase there will be a hammer as you gather so stack in close melee range to be in front of it, then back up a little in preparation for the engulfing flames so as not to be trapped if it is in melee.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:59 am

Yeah, we save our raid cooldowns for the molten seeds.

Like I said, I just think at times we get overwhelmed when trying to stack after molten seed spawn, move away from hammer and its waves and avoid the ring of fire...

And yeah, it's the 2nd molten seed spawning that gives us the most problem
---
Klaudandus

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:16 am

If you have a druid... we save Stampeding Roar for the second seeds as they give us the most problem.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Rokh » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:18 am

You need to have a very vocal raid lead for the seed phase.

we put a floor marker about 10-15 yards from rags pool (right on the outside edge of the closest fire ring if it were to spawn)

start off the phase reminding people that they need to get out of the middle, spread out, and prepare for seeds.

1st seed impact ill call out "fire soon, be ready to move" then when the ring spawns i either call move up or move back.

2nd seed you stack as close to the lava as you can, you have to remind people to stack close or you will always get someone spaced out that runs to the floor marker. If there is fire close, just remind people that as soon as the fire fades everyone needs to move in.

3rd seed same as the 1st.

pretty much I dont stop talking for most of rag, I call out tank swaps, seed movement, I do a 4 sec countdown for fire rings, I call out who has that fire debuff in transition 2 other wise people stand still and burn to death.

It might seem like your pointing out the obvious, but "reminding" people what to do really helps
Rokh

Postby Winkle » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:39 am

Rokh wrote:You need to have a very vocal raid lead for the seed phase.

This is pretty much key. I realise this could apply to almost any fight but there's just an awful lot going on in P2 and until you get a good number of pulls in people may not be 100% sure on the sequence of events. Having 1 person call out "hammer now", "engulfing in 3" or "spread 6 yards for seeds" seemed to help our raid out.

As tank i found i could do this relatively easily as my rotations easy.
Winkle

Postby Arincia » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:54 pm

For my raid group we do the first tank swap at 3 stacks and then when ever it falls off after that. That way the stacks are going to lower overall and help reduce tank damage as the fight goes on. (this makes it between 2-4 depending on avoidance and other rng factors with timing.)
Arincia

Postby Chronos » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:00 am

For phase 1, what is the number of raiders required to be at range to force magma traps to spawn at range? (What's this number for 25's, anyone know?) We tried only 3 at range and a trap targeted a tank, so I'm guessing it's 4 or 5?

Embarrassingly, I've got some healers that love to ride surfboards on the lava waves and would like to put them real close to the boss so they can just mindlessly heal and not continue to die to Sulfuras Smash/Lava waves.

Anyone tried having all 10 raiders snug to the boss, and just moving away from traps/activating traps that way?
Chronos

Postby Winkle » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:15 am

Chronos wrote:For phase 1, what is the number of raiders required to be at range to force magma traps to spawn at range? (What's this number for 25's, anyone know?) We tried only 3 at range and a trap targeted a tank, so I'm guessing it's 4 or 5?

Embarrassingly, I've got some healers that love to ride surfboards on the lava waves and would like to put them real close to the boss so they can just mindlessly heal and not continue to die to Sulfuras Smash/Lava waves.

Anyone tried having all 10 raiders snug to the boss, and just moving away from traps/activating traps that way?

Casters won't want to be near the boss as he does an AOE knockback for melee that interrupts casts.

I suggest you tell your healers to pay more attention, sulfuras smash will be the least of your worries come phase 2.
Winkle

Postby Lumenactio » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:17 am

P2 took us a while to get the hang of, we now start on the left side of the room in P2. Spread out. When the seeds come we migrate to the right side and stack up at a spot just between middle and melee fire range. Once we know where the fire is we move and finish the adds, there is enough time to spread after the adds before the first hammer.

When the 2nd set of seeds come we migrate left and stack in melee range because the Hammer comes before the next wall of fire thing. It's not random. After the first hammer the adds are usually dead and you can spread out and the rest of the fight is as normal. Repeat as necessary. Usually takes us 3 migrations. Left to right to left, the last left he's usually at 45% or so. So do the adds, spread and transition him.

Dunno if that will help, but once we recognized that the timers are not random and stacked different spots depending on location and which part of the fight, it became a snore.

I still greatly dislike P3.
Lumenactio

Postby Chronos » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:27 am

Winkle wrote: Casters won't want to be near the boss as he does an AOE knockback for melee that interrupts casts.

I suggest you tell your healers to pay more attention, sulfuras smash will be the least of your worries come phase 2.

He casts Wrath of Ragnaros, targeting a random raid member and knocking them and everyone within 6 yards back.
He casts Hand of Ragnaros, knocking everyone within 55 yards back. I heard things about healers trying to out range this, but we had problems with them not being in range of healing the tanks (40 yards) if the tanks didn't want to get knocked back out of melee range and eat Magma Blast... So if the healers have to be eating these knockbacks anyway, might as well put them in snug to boss so they can avoid hammer/lava waves
Chronos

Postby RedAces » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:28 am

and get a 5sec silence every 30 sec?
RedAces

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)