DC Relaunch

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

DC Relaunch

Postby Punkss2 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... H3W1gQYiD4

I thought this fitting due to the name of this section of the forums.
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Re: DC Relaunch

Postby Flex » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:10 pm

I stopped doing comics when my local comic shop closed up which was when DC was in the middle of its continuous run of Crisis events. However DC does employ my favorite writers in Gail Simone, Grant Morrison (when he isn't trying to craft the most amazing story ever) and Jimmy Palmiotti/Justin Grey whose Jonah Hex comic was the best thing running.

This is probably the most ambitious relaunch ever in completely scrapping most of the last 70+ years of stories to focus on new stuff and a clean slate. I hope it works out because it'll be a sad day if the comic business has to close up shop.

Also never buy anything by J. Michael Straczynski because he is horrible.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Arnock » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:06 pm

I don't pretend to know much about comics, but didn't Marvel try to do something along these lines with the Ultimate series? Re-launching the series to be more appealing to modern audiences?

To be honest though, I can see why they're doing a reboot. I've never really gotten into comic books, but I grew up watching a lot of the marvel character's TV shows. I've looked into reading some of the X-men or Spider-man, but, as a new reader, it's somewhat daunting, there are all sorts of alternate universes, apparently conflicting storylines, etc. And, when you have 60ish years of publication for many of the comics, there's an incredible amount of material, and it's hard to really know where to start.

Starting from ground up might help attract new readers, and allow the writers to clean up some of the plots.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Aerron » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:20 am

The first issue of the relaunch, Justice League #1, arrived yesterday.

When I first heard about the reboot, I wasn't very pleased. But considering how much backstory started to be necessary to understand just what the hell was going on in any given title, I've started to come around.

So I bought JL1, and it's actually pretty damn good.I enjoyed the art and I'm enjoying the story. Putting a personality on Hal Jordan, or one that isn't just painfully corny on Superman, is hard to do. Batman is pretty much still Batman.

I'll be picking up some of the other #1's this month. Flash, Hawkman, a few others.
Aerron

Postby Pfife » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:43 pm

Arnock wrote:I don't pretend to know much about comics, but didn't Marvel try to do something along these lines with the Ultimate series? Re-launching the series to be more appealing to modern audiences?.

Ultimate universe is a parallel dimension to the main Marvel continuity and has made at least one cross (ZOMBIES). This is also where they are drawing most of the style from for the new Avengers stuff. Just look at a few pictures of Fury and you'll notice he looks exactly like Samuel L. Jackson. They also just come out and say it a few comics in (I think this was done a little after the HULK remake but if anybody knows the exact dates feel free to correct me).

Ghostcrawler: Right. If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.
Pfife

Postby Arnock » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:24 pm

Well, I know it wasn't a complete re-launch(main 'universe' still continued) But it started from the ground up for most of the existing characters, didn't it?
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Flex » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:56 am

Arnock wrote:Well, I know it wasn't a complete re-launch(main 'universe' still continued) But it started from the ground up for most of the existing characters, didn't it?

Yea, everything was new and fresh. However for some reason they are rebooting the Ultimate universe. My guess is that Jeph Loeb turned into a hack when he got "big" at DC and left for Marvel.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Return to Arkham Asylum