[10HM] Lord Ryolith

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10HM] Lord Ryolith

Postby Accoloth » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am

Attempted this yesterday with my guild and noticed on a few of our tries Sparks not spawning. Basically the timer from DBM comes up for it to spawn and nothing appears, not even Fragments. The first time this happened the try slowly wiped during the confusion of the lack of the spark. And actually on the first Spark-bugged attempt it bugged for the second and third Spark. The subsequent two attempts only bugged on the second Spark.

Now this works out better actually because it means that the ranged can push onto the feet more but I'm sure this is a bug and you can't exactly plan this into your tactics. This happened 3 times out of around 25 attempts. Is anyone else encountering this bug?
Accoloth

Postby Belloc » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:33 am

I believe that happens if he stomps on a volcano at the same time as he would be spawning a spark. Not a reliably repeatable thing.
Belloc

Postby maurok » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:05 am

My group just killed shannox H yesterday and we are heading for this boss now... but since there were SO MANY hotfixes on him since this topic was created, I wanted to get some updated info.

our regular comp is:
Pally Tank (me)
Feral Tank
Pally Holy
Shaman Resto
Druid Resto
Rogue
DK Frost
Warlock
Hunter
Moonkin

would you guys recommend 1 or 2 tanks? in case of being 1 tank, I could either go holy and then the shaman go enhance, or I could come with my moonkin. what would be better?

the idea is for the rogue to steer the boss, avoiding non-active volcanoes, ranged dps focus on adds, except the slimes which will be kited by the Frost DK (moonkin might help with eventual mushrooms). if we have no adds, we'll divide the rangeds on the legs unless the rogue calls for help to a hard turn.

am I missing something? the fight sound pretty straightforward.

maurok

Postby RedAces » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:35 am

Everything in this thread still applies. Take 1 Tank + 2 Healers (you can 3-heal it if your dps is amazing!) and take 1-2 classes with AE-stuns / knockbacks or AE-slows.
Good luck!
RedAces

Postby Brosterr » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:53 am

Your frost dk does not kite slimes. Slimes can not be kited. He can get chillbains and slow them, but that should only be incidental, which i can not stress enough. Not one person in the entire raid should pay any attention to the slimes. If you kick ass on slimes and kill some and put a ton of effort in to it he might eat 25, if you pay no attention at all he will get 30 so forget about them. With your comp the best you could do is this...

You tank spark
Feral OT (as kitty, not bear), DK with chillbains and demo lock kill the frags and in downtime hit the legs
Rogue and Enh Sham (healer) each get a leg, Boomkin drives (dots both legs and focuses on the leg that needs moving, calling out for help when needed)
Hunter kills spark, when no spark is up have him on legs
Pally and Druid heal

Whoever is calling shit out make sure they understand that saying, left......right........left doesnt help at all. The driver doesnt need to tell the other two which volcano is next, meaning the one you are traveling for, they get that already. He needs to make people aware of which you will go for AFTER you blow up your current volcano target... if that makes any sense. Imo it is the key to the fight.

As for you at 4 stacks from the spark rotate glyphed DP and mirror, you can do this for each spark. The second spark you might need another cd since the hunter wont have burst cd's for it. When the third spark dies, hero and all dps on the legs continuing to drive.

You can obviously switch the feral with the boomkin on legs if it makes sense for you based on the player. Swipe is just pretty op and a feral could reduce alot of damage with the frags. It also helps alot if the driver is at range and not hampered by the big boss when looking for canos.
Brosterr

Postby Rokh » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:48 pm

Is the AoE in P2 a close range thing? The journal doesnt list a range, but on wowhead the boss ability "immolation" has a listed aoe of 15 yards.

My raid comp is getting destroyed on this boss currently, we have every other heroic on farm downing them in 1-2 attempts minus this guy and rag, and this dude just has our number.

for dps we have
DK
feral
enh shm
enh shm
hunter
boomkin
off spec shadow priest (terrible dps but normal holy spec)

getting the boss to 10% after about 12 hours of attempts... the melee just melt in P2 and die 5-10% into P2.

I was thinking of having the enh shamans only dps when their rage is up, other wise stay out of range.

Is there something we are missing?
Rokh

Postby Belloc » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:56 pm

Do you have the DPS to push into phase 2 with an extra healer? If so, give that a try. Otherwise, you really have to rotate survival cooldowns to survive. For instance, your feral and boomkin both need to use tranquility before the melee start melting. If they aren't already doing that, I imagine that it will push you over into kill territory.

Our raid melted at the start of phase 2 when we were two healing. The damage is just insane. I can't really say what the range on immolation would be as I tend to sit in melee range anyway (as a demo warlock).

One last question: Are your raiders actively trying to avoid the beams? If so, tell them to stop. Healers can heal more and DPS can DPS more if they're not running away from the beams. Just plant yourselves firmly and gogogo!
Belloc

Postby Ezelyn » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:40 am

Belloc wrote:One last question: Are your raiders actively trying to avoid the beams? If so, tell them to stop. Healers can heal more and DPS can DPS more if they're not running away from the beams. Just plant yourselves firmly and gogogo!

I wouldn't say that. Sure, all range dps / heal shouldn't be moving at all but i think melee dps should'nt stay under "laser beam" (and shouldn't stay on the same spot).
That doesn't affect their dps since they are still in melee range.
During our last down, retpally didn't want to move, and he was the only dead melee

@Rokh How many stomps can you support actually ? with no raid cd except resto druid and holy pally mastery we are healing 3 stomps (including the transition one).

Or maybe do you start p2 too late (too many stacks) ? (5min30 ?)
Ezelyn

Postby Sophotrates » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:32 am

Hey all,

We've been trying this boss for around 5 hours now, with our best try being a 6% wipe (only try we saw p2). Tonight we'll be trying again and I would like to have some things cleared up.
Our setup and individual role will probably be something like:

Prot pally (me), Disc/Holy priest (whatever is needed most), Resto druid
Feral cat (raidleader & steering guy), DPS warrior (aids in steering), 2 mages (each nuking a leg)
2 hunters (killing fragments and spark), warlock (killing spark, rest of the time on legs)

We kill 3 sparks + 2 sets of fragments before going bloodlust and nuking the boss while I tank the 4th spark. In our last try, however, the boss had still around 50% of his health left at this point, so we never made p2 before superheated, which combined with vulcano stacks and a stomp, quickly finished our raid at around 28%. I noticed that the dps on the adds was a bit too good from time to time, fragments and spark dying before the next wave spawned. As for the Liquid adds, we slow and stun them but other then that ignore them.

Other then having a bit of luck with vulcano placement, I think the only parts where we can improve is to try stun and slow the Liquid adds a bit more while preventing the boss from making sharp turns if possible, and improving the dps on the legs by taking dps away from the adds.

1) I'm more concerned about the adds. How many dps should we assign for the adds? Or better, at what moment should they die? The fragments right before they explode, I guess, but what about the spark? Can the warlock stay on boss fulltime and if the fragments spawn when the spark is at around 30%, can I safely tell the hunters to go on fragments and let me solo the spark? It takes quite a lot of damage at that point.

2) I would like the rare tries where we reach phase 2 to count. Is it recommended to let our feral druid do Tranquility right before the first stomp at the start of the phase? He is our best dps and under the effects of bloodlust, I don't like to lose his 10 sec of dps time.

3) Glyphed DP or not? How much spark damage is fire and how much physical?

Thanks,
Sophotrates
Sophotrates

Postby Sophotrates » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:53 am

Bah, we kinda gave up on this boss. After another 2 hours of not seeing phase 2 (although a few times close), everyone was so tired and pissed of him that we went normal and nuked him down in 3 mins or so, very satisfying. We're going hc Majordomo now, at least you don't have too much RNG there.
Sophotrates

Postby Rokh » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:36 pm

After 4 full nights of wipes, about 15 hours of attempts, we finaly noticed he gets a stacking 10% damage buff every 10 seconds after 5 min, this buff does not fade and lasts the entire fight.

I KNOW RIGHT............................................................................ way to tell me that shit guys.......jesus

downed him a few attemps later just switching a dps off adds and onto the boss... sparks lived a hella lot longer (deep into the next round of fragments) but the kill was easy.
Rokh

Postby Técaro » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:39 pm

There are several posts earlier in the thread about Superheated(the buff), and how to push Ryo into P2 before 5mins when it takes effect. The info's all there. Best way for usstill seems to be heroing after 3 Sparks and the next two round of fragments. Three ranged on the spark, 4 melee on the legs with our DK offtanking fragments for a bit if the Spark is still up.
Técaro

Postby Winkle » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:52 am

Rokh wrote:After 4 full nights of wipes, about 15 hours of attempts, we finaly noticed he gets a stacking 10% damage buff every 10 seconds after 5 min, this buff does not fade and lasts the entire fight.

I KNOW RIGHT............................................................................ way to tell me that shit guys.......jesus

downed him a few attemps later just switching a dps off adds and onto the boss... sparks lived a hella lot longer (deep into the next round of fragments) but the kill was easy.

Every single guide and post on Ryolith HC states he goes superheated at 5mins, i seriously don't know how you missed this. It's the reason everyone switches DPS after the 3rd spark and hero/lusts to hit P2 before the 5min mark.

Anyway glad you got the kill.
Winkle

Postby McHayes » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:28 am

Sophotrates wrote:Prot pally (me), Disc/Holy priest (whatever is needed most), Resto druid
Feral cat (raidleader & steering guy), DPS warrior (aids in steering), 2 mages (each nuking a leg)
2 hunters (killing fragments and spark), warlock (killing spark, rest of the time on legs)

Setup should be fine, 1 tank ; 2 healer ; dps.
What we do in our strategic, is have all range dps focus on dpsing the adds down, especially when the sparks are up, fragments are easy as pie. We got a feral cat for steering, a DK and a Rogue split on legs.(I am not certain if the dk is specced into chillblains to slow the slimes)

--

Sophotrates wrote:1) I'm more concerned about the adds. How many dps should we assign for the adds? Or better, at what moment should they die? The fragments right before they explode, I guess, but what about the spark? Can the warlock stay on boss fulltime and if the fragments spawn when the spark is at around 30%, can I safely tell the hunters to go on fragments and let me solo the spark? It takes quite a lot of damage at that point.

As said before, 3 melee, the feral kitty is the steering so he swaps between the legs.
Our range fully focusses on adds, aoe fragments instantly, and even more nuke on the spark.. that shit just has to go down!

When you're used to the fight as a tank, you should maneuver yourself to the slimes so the Ranged dps is AoE'ing the slimes simultaniously with the fragments! I am not certain if the aoe affects the steering but you should never go too close to the legs. (it's also good for numbers! Yay!)
And always keep a spark away from the raid, our range group has a healer marked where every bunches yp, so I can simply look at that mark and adjust myself, I always tank the spark very close to lava so I can toss some Dazing AS to slimes.

--

Sophotrates wrote:2) I would like the rare tries where we reach phase 2 to count. Is it recommended to let our feral druid do Tranquility right before the first stomp at the start of the phase? He is our best dps and under the effects of bloodlust, I don't like to lose his 10 sec of dps time.

When the boss sits down he should instantly pop his Tranq, then he can dps again.
Make sure you yourself have have all cooldowns ready in the last phase.

--

Sophotrates wrote:3) Glyphed DP or not? How much spark damage is fire and how much physical?

Glyphed for sure, if the ranged dps is taking too long on the spark, he will gain a boatload of stacks. That together with a long lasting unlucky placed volcano will deliver some heavy dmg, so my advise is Glyph it!
Sirq - Warrior Tank
Mchayes - Paladin Tank
McHayes

Postby Era » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:38 am

Quick question: When you're tanking a Spark, how do you deal with the Fragments?

We're unable to get the Spark down before the first Fragments spawn, but it usually dies before the second. However, there's still some time where the Fragments are out of my reach and pummelling our healers. We're using 2 healers and they get a little too strained if the Fragments go for them; we also tried having our hunter misdirect some to me, but the MD cooldown is 30 seconds (too long).
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)