Remove Advertisements

Baleroc tanking - glyphed divine protection or not?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Baleroc tanking - glyphed divine protection or not?

Postby boneyjellyfish » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:39 pm

My raid group typically uses a two-tank strategy for Baleroc, and I'm generally the MT and a feral druid tanks the decimating strikes. Whenever Baleroc casts inferno strikes I use holy shield along with another cooldown - either divine protection or the TB resistance trinket.

My question is this: how does inferno strike work? Is there both a physical and a magical damage component? If so, could I remove the glyph and take exactly the same amount of damage? Or is inferno strike 100% magical damage, in which case I get a greater damage reduction by using the glyph?
boneyjellyfish

Re: Baleroc tanking - glyphed divine protection or not?

Postby Schroom » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:23 pm

as to my knowledge, it is mitigatable magical damage.

I see all the "good" Paladin Tanks using the glyph here and the Trinket.
the best would be to use on after the other, combine with the resistance aura.

I personally use HS after the blades, to give the healers the chance to heal me up when there are only normal attacks.

but then we do it on normal mode, and with only one tank.

by the way, the trinket is so great, our shadow priest takes one Cristal all alone with the trinket and dispersion.
Schroom

Postby Worldie » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:51 am

Inferno strike is a phisical attack that deals magic damage.
As phisical attack it's subject to all rules (including being blockable), but as magic attack it's mitigable by abilities that reduce magic damage.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Treck » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:14 am

I would NOT use the glyph on Baleroc.
Use TB trinket for the Inferno blades, that together with Holy shield is more than enough, sometimes i feel Holy shield is enough, but since i use the trinket anyway.
Using glyphed DP AND TB trinket, would be a huge waste imo, and big overkill for the inferno blades.

Healers are always going to be more focused on you during the blades, and your not going to take a lot more damage during inferno blade compared to during the rest of the fight.
I use DP pretty much as ofthen as i can during regular meele hits to make it easier for the healers.
Same with the other CDs.
Like i said, Inferno blade is very easy to coordinate, and you generally never lack healing there, sure you will want atleast some sort of CD but not everything.
The tricky part to heal is the rest of the fight, and especially when the healers swap targets.
Treck

Postby Soloz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:04 am

I generally don't glyph for it for Baleroc since I use the TB trinket for it and that is up for almost the full duration of the inferno blade. And I use HS and DP for normal melee attacks since he hits faster with 2 weapons :P
Soloz

Postby Kuridan » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:57 pm

I solo tank this on normal and heroic, here's my set up;
NO glyph for Divine Protection
t12 4 pc - Hit this when the blade cooldown is about 6 secs, you'll have 20% reduction while he's doing physical damage and then the extra parry when his blade is out.
On Use dodge trinket - Hit this only when he does decimation blade. You can't mitigate the damage in any way, but you can avoid it!
Armor Pots - Prepot on the pull, use another when needed during his normal attacks.
Ardent Defender - Try and save this for decimation blade. If you get hit again before your healers can get you above 90% this can save you.
GoAK - Save this for his normal attacks, especially on heroic in case a healer gets tormented.
Kuridan

Postby Awyndel » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:29 pm

It can sure help if you get like 4 blades in a row and you need that spare cd.
Awyndel

Return to Basic Training & Talents