Dev Watercooler - Threat

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Dev Watercooler - Threat

Postby Fetzie » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:40 am

Mukat wrote:
Worldie wrote:Ahem, you know you can (since quite a bit) unbanish a mob by rebanishing it?

Since the start 3.3 I think, when they introduced the RDF is when I can definitely remember it. I can't recall using that in Ulduar.

I remember them introducing that by accident in TBC, was fun until they removed it via hotfix...
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Maelsstrom » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:45 am

^ Agree totally. (2 posts up, daying dps would just hate on the tank more if they pulled aggro)

Koatanga wrote:In the four-shot model, the DPS says "oops, my bad". In the one-shot model, the DPS says "WTF noob tank lrn2taunt". The difference is in the amount of time the tank has to taunt the mob.

Fixed!
Maelsstrom - Paladin - Lightbringer
Fluffy Bunnies of Doom
Maelsstrom

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:58 am

Maelsstrom wrote:^ Agree totally. (2 posts up, daying dps would just hate on the tank more if they pulled aggro)

Koatanga wrote:In the four-shot model, the DPS says "oops, my bad". In the one-shot model, the DPS says "WTF noob tank lrn2taunt". The difference is in the amount of time the tank has to taunt the mob.

Fixed!

I think is that, even in the four-shot model, the DPS still won't target the proper target -- it's like the tank can magically generate aggro with the loose mob 15 yards away from here... yeah, because I'm fucking sephiroth and have a sword that I could use to cut down the fucking goal posts from the 50 yard line.

Seriously, somehow, DPS assume that a taunt is a green card for allowing them to resume nuking at the mob
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:01 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
Seriously, somehow, DPS assume that a taunt is a green card for allowing them to resume nuking at the mob

This statement is 100% completely true.
Shoju

Postby masterpoobaa » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:46 pm

Agreed.

So many many times I've marked skull, had a dumb dps burn the wrong target.
This target runs off toward the dumb DPS. I taunt, and the mob can be seen clearly running back toward me. But does the DPS ever stop attacking this target? Nope.

When the mob is still halfway to the DPS re-establishes aggro of course.
At this point I waste no further taunts and let the DPS enjoy aggro. If he wants aggro on the mob so badly, who am I to deny his/her desires?
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Koatanga » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:12 pm

masterpoobaa wrote:Agreed.

This target runs off toward the dumb DPS. I taunt, and the mob can be seen clearly running back toward me. But does the DPS ever stop attacking this target? Nope.

At this point I waste no further taunts and let the DPS enjoy aggro. If he wants aggro on the mob so badly, who am I to deny his/her desires?

Show of hands who has *not* experienced this? No one?

This is the sort of thing I am talking about with regard to 4-shot model vs 1-shot model. We may think we are punishing the bad DPS by letting them have the mob they have re-aggroed after a taunt, but we're not. They know it'll be dead before it kills them, so why should they swap targets? There is no consequence for bad behaviour.

So on the next pull, they blaze away on whatever target they feel like hitting because again there will be no consequence to pulling aggro. Sure they may get hit a few times, but they can still kill it before it kills them, and if they hit it even harder, it'll die even faster.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby yappo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:37 am

Koatanga wrote:
So on the next pull, they blaze away on whatever target they feel like hitting because again there will be no consequence to pulling aggro. Sure they may get hit a few times, but they can still kill it before it kills them, and if they hit it even harder, it'll die even faster.

Enter the patch 4.3 five-man heroics... *shudder*
yappo

Postby Passionario » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:58 am

masterpoobaa wrote:Agreed.

I, on other hand, just keep taunting. A mob that is busy running back and forth between me and rDPS is a mob that deals no damage, after all. And by the time I run out of taunts/snap tools and the mob catches up with the DPSer, it will be near death, anyway.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby firstamendme » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:16 am

Worldie wrote:Ahem, you know you can (since quite a bit) unbanish a mob by rebanishing it?

I havn't played a lock since the end of 2.0 so that explains my ignorance. In my defence, the party members yelling at me weren't aware I could release it either. They scolded me for using a 'stupid cc that we have to wait for'.
firstamendme

Postby Malthrax » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:36 am

firstamendme wrote:

I havn't played a lock since the end of 2.0 so that explains my ignorance. In my defence, the party members yelling at me weren't aware I could release it either. They scolded me for using a 'stupid cc that we have to wait for'.

I would have waited for the banish to fade and re-banished it again, just for good measure. :twisted:
Malthrax

Postby Astronomic » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:48 pm

Malthrax wrote:I would have waited for the banish to fade and re-banished it again, just for good measure. :twisted:

Back in BC when I would farm primals on elemental plateau on my lock, if i saw a competing farmer For melee I would spam fear their targets until they left and for ranged I would banish their targets until they left. I'm an asshole.
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Previous

Return to General