Remove Advertisements

pew pew laser paladins in space [EVE]

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: pew pew laser paladins in space

Postby Koatanga » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:12 pm

And avoid anything with a Capissen 38 engine, they fall right out of the sky.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Invisusira » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:48 am

So I was talking with Cerwillis and his friend last night, and the thought just dawned on me... why don't we have a channel yet?? SO! If you're playing EVE, join the channel Maintankadin by clicking the little speech bubble in the top right corner of the chat box and typing in the name. Don't worry if no one's in there at the moment, hang around!

Also, I'd recommend dragging Local chat out into its own window. Lets you see mission-related text and also lets you keep an eye on who's in your system; lets you be more careful if you see someone with a red icon show up.

...and I'm sorry, but Serenity was fucking. BORING. I can see why the show got canceled. Started out pretty cool, but after the first ~10 minutes it just turned into an absolute snoozefest. Nika and I couldn't wait for it to be over (and she's somewhat a Whedon fanboy, too).

Invisusira

Postby Treck » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:07 am

You wont really get the movie if you havnt seen the show tbh.
But the show was really enjoyable imo.
The reason why they got canceled was cuz the network thought it would be a better idea to scramble the episode order rather than putting them chronologically, therefore most people who saw the show, was confused and couldnt follow the story as some element would show up in one episode, just to be clarified in a later episode, making no sense.
Treck

Postby Invisusira » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:27 am

I actually thought they did a really good job of making a movie that worked on its own without having to see the series first. I didn't feel lost at all, never had any "wait, who is that/why are they _____?" moments. The pacing (and, sorry, some of the writing/acting) was just bleaahh. And after seeing him in action, I am completely baffled by all the praise and worship Nathan Fillion gets for the show. (Not sure how much of it is his fault vs the writers' fault.)

That's absolutely bizarre, though; the scrambling of episode orders. Why would they do that??
Invisusira

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:10 am

Yeah you did. You didn't know who Inara was. Edit: I had watched a little of the series and knew a decent amount of it by proxy simply because I was deeply into the Buffy and Angel fandoms. So *I* felt like there was some unanswered questions for me... but that's because I knew there was more to the story than what they were telling us.

But basically Firefly was on Fox. And Fox is notorious for re-arranging a show to however they feel best. They'll also flip timeslots whenever they want. Dark Angel got cancelled in favour of Firefly. But, Dark Angel also lost viewers because it was went from Mondays (I think it was) to Fridays. The lack of Friday viewers (who also didn't know the show had actually moved) dropped the ratings, as most Fridays are likely to do. Then they pushed in Firefly and dropped it after several re-arranged episodes.
Last edited by Nikachelle on Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:13 am

Apparently, the pilot wasnt "engaging" enough for the network, they didnt think many people would get hooked.
So they aired the 3rd episode (as the pilot is 1&2) first as the "pilot", and people had no idea who these people were and why they were doing what they were doing.
The order they aired compared to the "real" order was interestingly: 3,4,7,8,9,5,6,10,11,15,1&2,14,12,13.
That means, the actually end episode, was aired BEFORE the real pilot, aka the episode where you meet the crew for the first time, why they come aboard the ship etc (the only good thing was that episode 13 is a great episode to finnish the series with, and they knew the show wasnt gonna have a 2nd season when making it, so they specificly made the episode as a form of goodbye)
No wonder people couldnt be bothered to follow the show as it made no sense, and people watching doesnt like feeling like they are idiots, when its really the network that are stupid.
I think they did it cuz they wernt happy with some episodes so they initially decided to skip them altogether, to just put them in randomly later as they needed enough episodes to make a whole season or something.

Serenity was a really good movie imo, i cant go and watch it without having the series in the back of my head, just felt like you wouldnt get the characters without watching the series first, but i guess it stands good on its own.
On another note, the series does a great job at upholding like "true" spaceflight mechanics, and a trip between 2 planets take weeks in the series, and all space scenes have NO sound at all, but rather they play music instead (awesome music aswell, very fitting).
But, when it made it to the big screen to become a movie, the director felt that no sound while in space wouldnt be good enough, so now, space scenes have sound from everything!
Feels stupid that they feel they NEED to change such a thing that the fans actually enjoyed from the series.
Afterall, the movie was a final way of saying goodbye to the series and their fans, but no, they had to aim for a broader audiance.
Its a small thing, but still bothers me.
Treck

Postby Invisusira » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:19 am

Back on topic, something else very useful to know in EVE: your session change timer.

Go to General Settings -> Show session-change timer and check the box (it's in the upper left corner). Now you'll see a little spinning clock in the upper-left corner of your screen, by the system name, whenever the timer is active:

It's similar to forbearance; it locks you out of certain actions for 30 seconds when any one of them happens. Your timer is activated when one of the following happens, and you can not do any of the following while your timer is active:
• Docking/Undocking
• Jumping through a stargate, wormhole or cyno
• Joining/Leaving a fleet
• Changing fleet roles
• Ejecting from your ship
• Using a jump clone
• Changing your ship

Losing your ship and being pod killed also activates the timer.

It should also be noted that your ship is COMPLETELY INVINCIBLE while your timer is active when you undock from a station as long as you don't activate anything. So if you undock and there's some nasty pirate (or someone you pissed off) sitting outside waiting for you, just hit ctrl-space to stop your ship. They won't be able to damage you as long as you don't do anything. As soon as the timer wears off, you can dock right back up without even a scratch.
Invisusira

Postby Invisusira » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:26 am

Also, on both topics, sound in space is something I think EVE does pretty well. Most of the sounds have muted/muffled sound to them, similar to being underwater. Obviously space is a vacuum and sound can't travel through it, but honestly, that simply doesn't work for any sort of medium. I'm surprised to hear that Firefly did it; I'll have to see some footage before I pass judgement, but I'm totally with the movie director on this one - it doesn't work. Period. Cutting footage with no sound effects makes your stuff end up looking like either 1) a trailer (see: my Ulduar movie, it plays more like one big trailer than an actual feature) or 2) an AMV fan video.
Invisusira

Postby cerwillis » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:52 am

I definitely learned a lot last night. Some about the complexities of the game, but mostly things like:

-Make sure that you have the right fittings on the right ship before heading out for a quest.
-If you think you're in the right place but nothing's there, look for an acceleration gate.
-Don't take your best ship into lowsec space without a clone or insurance. :lol:
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby alayire » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:24 am

Invisusira wrote:Also, on both topics, sound in space is something I think EVE does pretty well. Most of the sounds have muted/muffled sound to them, similar to being underwater. Obviously space is a vacuum and sound can't travel through it, but honestly, that simply doesn't work for any sort of medium....
Space flight in Eve is modeled after fluid dynamics also. non-warp flight that is.

Also .. for people that are interested in starting out with PVE missioning. Caldari is a safe bet. this is because of the power of missiles in PVE. unlike the other weapon sistems, missiles are far easier to understand how they operate and deal damage and also have the bonus advantage of being able to fully chose/change your type of damage. while there are some missile ships for the other races, Caldary are the most missile focused race and as such you start out with better missile skills and can quickly have access to some solid ships.

keep in mind that you can then later change your desired ship type without changing your race or starting all over again, there are no limitations to skills, you can learn all races skills regardless of your race, only bonus you have is the skills you start out with(that are trainable within an hour or so, but when you have a brand new character will help you tremendously).

While gunnery is certainly interesting, it is not very intuitive and it may take some time getting to understand how to deal the maximum potential damage(with allot of planning also btw). Shooting at something for minutes without dealing any damage and not understanding why is not exactly fun. take some time in learning these 2 very different concepts(I think there should be some very insightful guides about gunnery and missiles on the Eve main site).
alayire

Postby Invisusira » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:07 am

As someone who's been flying Amarr (which seems to have the least newbie-friendly weapons system), I can defly vouch for Caldari's ease of weapon use and general new-player friendlyness. The Drake is pretty well known as a very newbie-friendly battlecruiser, and is a very common sight.

Having to sit here and manage range, falloff, transversals, crystals and laser type and then watching Caldis just sit there and go "lawl 50k MISSILES" makes me go :| I lost a pretty (foolishly) expensively fitted cruiser early on because I didn't really understand why I couldn't hit a couple quick little drones that were scramming me.

However, the tradeoff is that I don't have to worry about ammo, and I can have Amarr rave parties. So I'm not complaining (anymore).
Invisusira

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:08 am

-Make sure that you have the right fittings on the right ship before heading out for a quest.

You can store extra modules in your cargo if you want to have some fun. I have researched salvage already So I usually go out with a salvager equipped and take on some npc-rats and loot/salvage. When I am done I can head into a station (assume I am in a distant system) and swap out the salvager for a mining laser and fill my cargo hold with ore (assuming I planned well enough to store it in my cargo hold).

Last night I had two cargo pods installed and it cut my acceleration waaay down so I will sotr those in my hold as well for ratting, then refit them for mining.

Shooting at something for minutes without dealing any damage and not understanding why is not exactly fun

Actuall I enjoy guns. Just look at weapon the info and note the range. Starter guns have low range, like 500m for a civilian weapon and 1000m for a basic electron gun 1. Some weapons have ranged more like 6000m. Just note the range falloff and don't activate the gun till you are clsoe. There is an option to try and maintain range at 500m, although this works best if your ship has better speed/agility than your opponent. Also don't run out of ammo, reload in dock or keep spares in your cargo hold :)
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Invisusira » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:23 am

cerwillis wrote:-Don't take your best ship into lowsec space without a clone or insurance. :lol:

At least he wasn't carrying $1300 worth of gametime cards when he got jumped!
Invisusira

Postby cerwillis » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:51 am

Invisusira wrote:
cerwillis wrote:-Don't take your best ship into lowsec space without a clone or insurance. :lol:

At least he wasn't carrying $1300 worth of gametime cards when he got jumped!

unbelievable.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Invisusira wrote:However, the tradeoff is that I don't have to worry about ammo, and I can have Amarr rave parties. So I'm not complaining (anymore).

Looooooooooooool. Amazing.
Levantine

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games