Remove Advertisements

[10H] Ragnaros

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10H] Ragnaros

Postby Treck » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:52 pm

timoseewho wrote:Hello, I just wanted some clarification about Breadth of Frosts and Cloudbursts before we finally get there and wipe immediately hehe. Is it possible for the whole raid to reset their Superheated debuff (as long as we have 3 groups of 3 each standing at a corner forming a triangle, with one group standing on the current tank)? Or is it something that requires a rotation, like group 1 goes in, reset, then group 2 goes in, etc.?

Magma geyser is what prevents your raid from stacking up.
In 10man that means that whever 4 people stand to close, they blow up in a magma geyser, and destroys the frost trap.
This means that the 3 groups can never be more than 3 in each group, so 9 people in the frost patch at once, with the 10th player beeing the Cloudburst person running around outside anyway.
That means the whole raid can be in the same patch, but your also going to have people running with the meteor in the beginning of p4.

timoseewho wrote:And about the Cloudbursts, is there only one per P4 (and does it last until death)? If not, is it wise to have multiple people on the Dreadflame removal duty? Should we give the tanks Deluge too since they can clear out the Entrapping Roots of Dreadflame to prepare for the taunt? Lastly, does Deluge grant Superheated immunity? Thanks!

Yes, only one Cloudburst through the whole phase, and if that person dies, you cant give it to someone else.
The buff does however last through death, so if that person is CR'd or Ankhs he can still do his job.
However the only way he can actually die from is getting hit by the meteor.
Deluge gives you immunity to superheated, thus you dont take any damage in p4 at all.
Treck

Postby Técaro » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:03 pm

I'm just curious, how do you guys handle traps in p1? We pop two before resetting the debuff, but we seem to blow our good raidcds on that, so we don't actually have any for p2.
Técaro

Postby timoseewho » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:38 pm

Thank you very much Treck.

About P1, we never pop one when we have the debuff. We use P1.5 to pop one too by prolonging it with a low HP add, then another in P2 when all is clear. However, I never did think about popping one with the debuff and using a raid CD to survive it to save the trouble later, might consider it.
<Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 25-man, SoO-14/14H US#29, currently recruiting all
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho
timoseewho

Postby Treck » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:07 pm

We pop them as they come, delayed by the debuff obviously.
Then when were closing in on 70%, we pop the last 2 at once, with raidCDs up.
With our timing, we still have the debuff when we need to blow 2 at once, so yes we end up with 3 debuffs.
Theres a trick to this however, IF you blow the 2 traps the same second you do take the damage from both traps as if you had one debuff.
The debuff "only" increase dmg taken by 50%, with raid CDs its healable.
I can however see how this might be a big problem for 10man guilds, as you might not have 2 people available to pop the traps (we use mages cuz they can jump in and iceblock (so they dont die since they might not be in range of the raid CDs), also you might not have Barrier/raidwall/rallying cry/AM to use.
If you cant blow several at once, maybe try during P2 or maybe even intermissions?
I also heard some guild even saving the traps to blow them up during the p3->p4 transition, as theres no raid damage at that point, shouldnt be a lack of space for 10man for this to be doable.
Treck

Postby Técaro » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:16 pm

Honestly I'd prefer not to pop two per debuff, as it drains cooldowns as well as being quite tense. Doing it with an AM or a raidwall, people still need to be topped, and a while away from wrath of rag going off. Might give Treck's way a go, got the cry, raidwall, AM and a Tranq so it might be doable, but frankly I think I'd rather blow one in the transition and maybe P2 and then P3>4 transition if neede, saving as many raid CDs as possible for P2 since the seed damage seems to be stomping us atm.
Técaro

Postby fafhrd » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:13 am

Can anyone clarify what the threat mechanics for the Molten Elementals are? From watching them I'm 99% sure they each fixate on one person picked when they spawn either till they die or that person dies, and possibly respond to normal threat mechanics if that person dies early (or possibly uses an immunity?) - so if no one dies each person has at most one Molten Elemental wanting to melee him at any given time. Meanwhile I've got people in the raid swearing that as soon as they jumped in and began aoe, all the elementals changed target to them. I'm under the impression that if you managed to spawn your elemental away from the rest, you would be able to get into melee range of a few others and AoE them with impunity, since they'd stick to chasing the person they're fixate on. Is this incorrect?
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Brutalus » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:32 am

fafhrd wrote:I'm under the impression that if you managed to spawn your elemental away from the rest, you would be able to get into melee range of a few others and AoE them with impunity, since they'd stick to chasing the person they're fixate on. Is this incorrect?

I'm not entirely sure of the threat mechanics, but this is correct and does work (this is on 25 man but I would imagine it's the same) - we have our mages spawn theirs outside and then improved blink in and arcane explosion the rest while theirs catch up and we then just stun/kill these two separately.
Brutalus

Postby Treck » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:39 pm

I can assure you, that the mob that spawns on you, WILL focus on you and you only.
That means a the strategy involving killing your own add (like ours) is valid, and works very fine.

Not even using immunities/threatdumps work as i remember.

So whenever people say "5 of them killed me in a second", eather 4 others died and he was 2nd on threat on all of them, or his own add killed him, granted with a few buffs. While you wanna avoid having to many buffs for to long, haivng 1-4 IS still very managable before the engulfing requres you to move, thats when the healing really starts lacking unless you have many restodruids
Treck

Postby timoseewho » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:42 pm

Does the Magma Trap debuff stack? Or is the timer just refreshed when you trigger a trap while you have the debuff? Also, is it possible for the World in Flames to spawn on the same 1/3 of the room consecutively? I've seen a few videos and sometimes I see 3 flame lines, sometimes 4, I'm not sure if I'm blind or something or what's going on lol. Does Ragnaros form geysers even if 4 players (on 10) are within 5-6 yards (however much that yardage is to trigger a geyser) of each other OUTSIDE of the Breadth of Frost? Thanks!
<Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 25-man, SoO-14/14H US#29, currently recruiting all
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho
timoseewho

Postby fafhrd » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks for the answers, although I'm sure now someone will say Arcane Explosion doesn't cause much threat.

Threat Wipes do seem to work temporarily at least btw, I can FD mine when it catches up to me and it will wander off, but as soon as I get back up it returns to me.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby RedAces » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:54 am

The Magma Trap debuff stacks (look at the method kill vid ;) ). There are always 4 engulfings and each time on an other (!) third of the room. We didn't have two engulfings on the same third in a row since we started progress (~150 wipes ago).
I think the geysir doesn't depend on the breadth, so never ever stack more than 4 persons on one spot.
RedAces

Postby Treck » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:57 am

World in Flames is funny, cuz sometimes its 3 engulfins, and sometimes 4, seems to be mostly 4 these days.
And they can never hit the same place twice.

And yes, Magma Geyser can spawn on clumped up people, even if your not even close to the Breadth of Frost.
We had some funny try where every ranged/healer clumped up for healing under barrier right as Raggy came up, and spawned a geyser the very first seconds of p4.

And about the Threat wipes, i guess they work then, but if your killing them one by one, you really dont wanna use them unless your about to die, since it will obviously go kill someone else in that case, and having 2 mobs on you does hurt.
Treck

Postby fafhrd » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:14 pm

Well making our resto/ele shaman (who we gave all our heroic prot tokens too -.-) switch to his crappy boomkin was a massive help on seeds. Went from struggling to AoE them down and managing to limp past the first set 1 time in 10 to easily getting them every time, and mostly wiping to people disagreeing on when to start running for seeds on the 2nd/3rd sets. Seems to take us 4 sets of Molten Elementals to push him to 40% though, don't think we're putting enough dps into rag during P2.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Treck » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:07 am

It has no impact on the fight if you take 3 or 4 waves.
But if your having problem with the seedlings, its obviously safer going for less, as for everyone you take theres a chance you wipe, so taking 3 in a row without mistakes is obviously easier than taking 4 in a row without mistakes.
Altho, pushing 3 really shouldnt be that hard in 10man, since it would require less dps per person than in 25man anyway.
Just give it some time, after a few times people will do it better and better every time, so you can maximize the dps on both ends.
Treck

Postby fafhrd » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:49 am

Yeah I know I at least was most ignoring rag and focussing on surviving seeds and having DPS cooldowns up for the sets where other people didn't have cooldowns.

We have no idea how we're dealing with the 2nd set of Sons while Scions are up though lol. Normally our feral and prot warrior tanks are a major part of controlling/aoeing the sons, and that's not going to happen much on that set, so we basically exploded a few seconds after the Sons spawned. Maybe I can MD a scion to the warrior while he gets some stuns off I guess?
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)