Remove Advertisements

pew pew laser paladins in space [EVE]

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: pew pew laser paladins in space

Postby bldavis » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:33 am

i get the feeling you would also lke the character creation in fallen earth nika

prob not the gameplay but at least the creation part

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Hrobertgar » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:11 am

I looked at EVE last night. It is very tempting as world-PvP is one of the things I truly miss after I transferred from a RP-PvP to a PvE WoW server. Its just that I'm raiding on 3 toons right now: my healer has 2 Raggy kills, my tank will be working on Raggy tonight, and my mage will probably get to Domo this weekend. Picking up a new game, I'm wondering when I would play it for a non-trivial amount of time.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Invisusira » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:34 am

As someone who has gone from a PvP to a PvE WoW server, I can wholeheartedly tell you that the absolute freedom of EVE brings back a lot of good old-school pre-BG PvP memories, and is definitely one of the reasons I like this game. Even in high-sec, where you're pretty much safe, just that notion that anything could go down at any time adds another level of excitement - one that WoW sorely lacks. As Shamora said, penalties instead of restrictions.

And the real-time skill training means you set your own pace; you can play the game as much or as little as you want and you'll still be progressing your skillset. Again, brings back old vanilla memories; hitting level cap didn't mean you hop right in to endgame raids. You progressed through dungeons, MC, BWL, Naxx. When you saw that guy with his full T3, you knew what that meant; you knew the time that had been put in. Sort of the same thing here; when you see someone flying around in one of the specialized T2 ships, you know they've put in months of training just to be able to fly that particular ship.
Invisusira

Postby bldavis » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:18 am

i d-loaded EVE last night, and so far im enjoying it.
i had to log off at one point or i would have stayed up all night playing.

i like the graphics, and the playstyle is interesting (esp after playing 3 yrs of wow)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Invisusira » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:19 pm

Protip:
If the game is taking forever to log you in at "Authenticating," you should empty EVE's cache.

Escape -> Reset Settings -> Clear all cache files.

This will cause EVE to reboot so don't, like, do it in the middle of a fight or something.
Invisusira

Postby Invisusira » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:23 pm

Actually, I'm just gonna update the OP with protips and prolinks.
Invisusira

Postby Shamora » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:19 pm

Figure I would throw these in here for those new to the game.

http://evemon.battleclinic.com/

EVEMon is a great tool that you run on your computer that helps you plan out what skills to use and will even alert you when a skill is done (Although less important since they added a short skill queue). It also contains a skill, ship and item browser.

Also I used the Eve Fitting Tool to simulate setting up various ships. Usefully for finding out what you can fit on a ship without having to actually buy the items in question.

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.as ... dID=548883

Here is an example. This is a pic of how I had my old Drake setup:

Both of these appear to still be getting updated.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Warsong, Horde - <Orbit>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 90 Assassination Rogue
Shamora

Postby Invisusira » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:54 pm

On that note, Mac users, you can get Mac EVE Tools and pyfa:
http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.as ... ID=1096971
http://www.evefit.org/Pyfa/Installation
They're a character skill planner to EVEMon and a fitting tool similar to EVE Fitting Tool, respectively.

Added links to both in the op!
Invisusira

Postby alayire » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:02 am

eve is a great concept .. and awesome game really. I had loads of fun back when I used to play it. I started out as a carebear PVE .. missions only in empire space. after a while of reaching lvl 4's, the game got boring a bit so I decided to try some 0.0 spice. I've been in Angel space, Sansha space and lastly Gurista's Venal. I had full Ammar, Minmatar and Caldari BS V and when I say full, I mean full skills + support + gunnery + missile + full electronics (minus ecm and eccm part) engineering and mechanics.

and then the game just died out on me. Everything was just too slow, pvp turned into a boring snooze fest. But the saddest thing was .. it was just taking up so much of my time. The game itself starts out by not demanding too much from you. but over the time, the more time you invest in the game, the more you benefit from it and just spirals from there ending up sucking you in. the instant I realized I wasn't playing it, but I was living it .. I pulled the plug. but that's just me, other people might see it differently.

anyhow .. Invis I think you forgot to mention one of the most important aspects of the game: the economy is completely player driven. Not only that, but there are skill paths for those that do not want to pilot ships and kill others. it has an industry, scientific and trade side to it completely player driven with skill trees to back that up. the market is totally free. wow AH goblins would have a field day in Eve, but also might meet their makers, because I've personally met Eve players that were economic majors in real live who played the game as trader taikoons.
alayire

Postby Invisusira » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:03 pm

To be fair, "stuff getting boring and demanding too much of you; becoming a job instead of a game" pretty much describes what can happen with any MMO.

But yeah, the economy is pretty cool. There're no straight up "vendors," per say; everything takes place on the market. NPC vendors do their buying through the market, same as players. (You can still sell stuff instantly, there are "buy orders" and "sell orders" for items on the market.)

The fact that you really can play any way you want - including non-combat routes like mining, shipping, trading, manufacturing and what have you - really adds a whole different side to the game.
Invisusira

Postby alayire » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:12 am

Invisusira wrote:To be fair, "stuff getting boring and demanding too much of you; becoming a job instead of a game" pretty much describes what can happen with any MMO.
that is true but Eve takes it up one notch because of the big penalties.

you can't just hoard everything and pile up indefinitely , you can at any time lose stuff in Eve in a way or another and while that makes it even more interesting it does add up. this is especially true in 0.0 Security. the earnings are high, but the risks are through the roof themselves.

Everywhere you ask for advice in Eve you will be told "never fly something you cannot afford to lose". there is a solid reason as to why, but you have to think for a moment, even if you fly something you can afford to lose, you still lose something. there are no ships that you can lose and make profit. so in essence nothing comes free. And sometimes it's not even the ISK you lose, most of the times it's the time and hassle to get another ship and fit it back up(again this is more of a 0.0 theme where money are nonissue, but commodities are). if you want to earn stuff you have to play more. but at the same time you expose yourself to more risks. for example back when I was doing lvl4 missions, when I started them in my cruise Raven It took me 2 weeks to lose my Raven(which at that time was quite an accomplishment). I had a pretty good record after that .. but the all of a sudden I lost 5 Ravens in one day to massive server lag spikes. and I wasn't the only one. people lost Caldary Navy Ravens which back then were about 10 times more expensive then a normal Raven, but were much more profitable.

Anyways. Don't get me wrong, I like the game, I'm just saying that Eve offers lots of ways to be played and is very enjoyable but it's not very casual friendly after a while. once you pass a certain threshold you have to invest more time in it to play it. and it can be taken to the extreme as in this game can be played in the most hardcore ways you can imagine.
alayire

Postby Hrobertgar » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:10 am

I started pew pewing this weekend, and it was fun, but I made some mistakes, partly due to WoW, and wound up re-starting.

I went to the first training area with the 5 basic questgivers and just acepted on from each of 3 (excluding Advanced Mililary and exploration), then started the missions. I quickly realized that my inexperience with the interface made it better for me to focus on one questline at a time, which would make it difficult to make the time limit. Eventually I dropped all three of those questlines and settled on Exploration. After completing it the first three refused to talk to me so I did Adv Mil and it was so easy I Lol'd till the final mission pawned me. So then I had questgivers that hated me, and most of my stuff gone so i figured a re-start would be good, lol.

But it is fun and all of that was only a few hours of game time, while my new character is in much better shape.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby cerwillis » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:17 pm

I'm still chipping away at the starter missions, but I put in a few hours yesterday. My friend at work took a 3 day weekend to get started as well and apparently understands it a lot more than I do. Our productivity at work will surely decrease inversely to in-game.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Heil » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:53 pm

alayire wrote:... wow AH goblins would have a field day in Eve, but also might meet their makers, because I've personally met Eve players that were economic majors in real live who played the game as trader taikoons.

^ totally the reason I want to start playing this. I totes want to geek out with optimum fixed/variable cost management, price-points, supply/demand schedules etc. If you say, produce goods, will a % be defective and you have to improve quality ala 6 sigma??
Name's Panda, G. D. Panda.
Heil

Postby Tandors » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:35 pm

I didn't see anyone post this yet so...

DO NOT TRUST ANYONE

Almost everything in Eve is a scam. If any deal sounds too good to be true, it most likely is. People try to rename ships to make them look like the higher end version and sell them at high price. Others will flat out lie about the price of a large bulk order. One example is someone selling 1000 ore for 300000 saying that each ore is only 30 isk. CCP doesn't reimbursed people who were scammed, its just a part of the game.

I picked up a few things this past year playing this game. Even if you can fly a bigger ship, that doesn't mean its better. What a ship has equipped it what really makes it. Don't use Gallente ships. Hybrid turrets really suck right now as the close range weapons have too short of range and you will spend a few minutes flying to each new target and their long range weapon does too little damage. I went Gallente at the start and after about 13 million skillpoints I said fuck it and went Minmatar because level 4's were taking an hour and a half a piece. Now they only take 30 minutes. If you want to make some fast isk, train up some scanning skills and salvaging skills. Go into a big missioning area and scan down some battle ships or strategic cruisers doing level 4's. As they kill a ship, fly up to it and salvage it but do not loot it. CONCORD won't attack you and they can't shoot you without CONCORD killing them unless you actually loot the wrecks. Finally, join an actual corp fast. If a friend plays, join their's. I hear Eve Uni is a good corp for people wanting to learn about the game but some people hate them. For PvP, there is Red v Blue. They do high sec pvp against each other.
Tandors

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games