pew pew laser paladins in space [EVE]

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

pew pew laser paladins in space [EVE]

Postby Invisusira » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:59 am

(this is a topic about EVE Online)

Want to play EVE? Use this link to get started:
https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?inv ... tion=buddy
You'll get an extra week for free, and I'll get a month for free if you end up subscribing.

Who else plays this? I just started about a month ago, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it. Yes, the learning curve is as ridiculous as they all say it is, but given the pace of the game (which is "whatever you damn well please"), it's easy to take in reasonable chunks.

I'm really digging the "entire world on one server" concept. I've already seen a fellow Mac nerd comparing it to Escape Velocity (which is totally accurate), and even had a corpmate (read: guildmate) inform me that there was a "famous paladin tank from WoW with your name." (bonus epeen points) (he also mentioned Maintankadin, o/ if you're reading this Sil)

I'm Invisusira in game, so if you play, post here! I'm usually around the Amarr/Gallente border, near (but not typically in) lowsec atm.

Also, if you don't play but want to check it out, I really, really recommend it. It's not "spreadsheets in space" like people say. It's a very complex, intricate game to be sure; however, I've found no end to veterans who can't wait to help show new players the ropes. Also, there's no XP, really. You learn skills in real-time, online or off. Playing the game is just for having fun - making money, gaining faction rep, mining, hunting pirates, pvping, etc etc. While it's true that anyone can attack anyone at any time, the "core" high-security systems in the middle have CONCORD (the space police basically) to protect against it. Once you get out into low- and null-sec, you're getting into player-owned territories and PVP is inevitable. The game is a big outer-space sandbox - there's no linear path. You do whatever you like doing. The scope of the game is absolutely MASSIVE.
Skills...
...ships...
...everything about the game is just HUGE. There is SO MUCH to do. (Those ships are in-game graphics at in-game size, btw. You start out with the smallest size; frigates. The largest - titans - take over a year (again, that's in real time) of training to fly.)

Some cinematics to get you pumped (all filmed in-game) -

A good general feel of what EVE is like.

The basic idea of what the EVE's PvP is like in player-owned space.

Yes, the game really is that gorgeous (even on my shitty non-gaming iMac).

So yeah, that's my current obsession outside of Deus Ex. Oh, and inevitable comparison to WoW? There isn't one. This is a completely different game, with a completely different playstyle.

A wizard has turned this post into a guide! Is this awesome [Y/N]

Shameless Plug:
Want to play EVE? Use this link to get started:
https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?inv ... tion=buddy
You'll get an extra week for free, and I'll get a month for free if you end up subscribing.

Chat Channel:
Join the chat channel Maintankadin by clicking the little speech bubble in the top right corner of the chat box and typing the name in. Don't be shy with questions; EVE has a massive learning curve and most all players enjoy helping new ones.

Space is your friend!
Double click in space to fly in that direction.
Right click in space to bring up a menu of things you can warp to in your current system, including mission objectives.

Choosing Your Race

First of all, it's very important to note that there is no bonus for flying ships of your own race; nor is there a penalty for flying ships of a different race. All you need to do is train for it. However, you're most likely to start training and flying ships of your own race, since you'll start with free skills in your race's frigates. And, as you would expect, the more training you put into a race's ships, the better you will be at flying them.

So, "tank." Tank means something slightly different in EVE than it does in WoW, but it's the same basic concept. A ship's "tank" is its ability to mitigate incoming damage. "Breaking your tank" means you're taking more damage than you can keep up with. Ships tank with either their shield or their armor.

Shield tanking ships have stronger shields and typically have defensive bonuses towards them. You use modules that increase you shield's hitpoints, increase its resistances to damage types, and regenerate it faster. Shield tanking ships tend to have more bursty regeneration.

Armor tanking ships have stronger armor and typically have defensive bonuses towards it. You use modules that increase you armor's hitpoints, increase its resistances to damage types, and repair it. Armor tanking ships tend to have more sustained repair.

So, here's a basic rundown of the four races in EVE:

Amarr
Theme:
• Heavy armor and sustained DPS.
Weapons:
• Lasers (Pulse Lasers for close range, Beam Lasers for long range). Lasers can only do EM/Thermal damage. You use laser crystals to modulate their power; longer range crystals do less damage and vice versa. Lasers rely 100% on cap for power.
Tank:
• Armor
Pros:
• Toughest ships in the game.
• Weapons don't use ammunition.
Cons:
• Laser damage can't be changed to other types via ammunition.
• Lasers use capacitor to fire.

Caldari
Theme:
• Missiles and electronic warfare.
Weapons:
• Missiles
• Hybrid Railguns. Hybrids can only do only Thermal/Kinetic damage. Like lasers, you can use different types of ammo to do more damage at the cost of range, but you can't swap them in and out quickly like lasers. Hybrid turrets hold more ammo than projectile turrets, and use considerably less cap than lasers. Railguns are some of the longest-range weapons in the game.
Tank:
• Shield
Pros:
• Missile weapons systems are much easier to use than turrets.
• Ships have many good support capabilities.
Cons:
• Many support ships aren't as good at solo work.
• Slower ships.

Gallente
Theme:
• Drone combat and in-your-face brawling.
Weapons:
• Hybrid Blasters. These short-range weapons are some of the highest dps guns in the game.
• Drones
Tank:
• Armor
Pros:
• Very balanced ships.
• Ships feature more drone bonuses and capabilities than other races.
Cons:
• Ships aren't really the "best" at anything outside of drones.

Minmatar
Theme:
• Riding down the stairs in a rusty wheelchair while firing uzis.
Weapons:
• Projectile Turrets (Autocannons for close range, Artillery for long range). Projectiles do slightly less damage, but require absolutely zero cap. They rely entirely on ammo, and they have ammo types to deal all different damage types. They also have massive falloff ranges, making it much easier to hit targets.
Tank:
• Sheild
Pros:
• Fastest ships in the game.
• Burst DPS.
Cons:
• Ships are more fragile than other races.
• Ships generally need more skillpoints to be flown properly.

Training
Unlike most MMOs, there is no "grind XP to gain levels" gameplay. You level up skills - of which there are hundreds - by putting them in your training queue and waiting. It all happens in real time, whether you're in the game or offline. Most skills take under an hour for level 1, a couple hours for level 2, and maybe a quarter of a day or so for level 3. Level 4 is usually a few days, and level 5 (the cap) is a week or two. Keep in mind this is just the average; some of the higher-end skills can take over a month to train level 5!

Core Skills:
Not sure what skills to train? Start here. These are skills that will be useful to you no matter what you decide to do in game; getting them all to at least level 3 (and eventually to level 5) will drastically improve your piloting skills.
• Engineering - 5% extra ship power grid per level.
• Electronics - 5% extra ship CPU per level.
• Energy Management - 5% extra ship capacitor capacity per level.
• Shield Management - 5% extra shield capacity per level.
• Hull Upgrades - 5% extra armor per level.
• Mechanic - 5% extra hull structure per level.
• Navigation - 5% to sub-warp speed per level.
• Evasive Maneuvering - 5% to ship agility per level.
• Shield Operation - 5% extra shield recharge rate per level.
• Energy Systems Operation - 5% extra ship capacitor recharge rate per level.
• Energy Grid Upgrades - 5% reduction in CPU usage for many modules per level.
• Drones - 1 additional drone can be used simultaneously per level.

Core Combat Skills:
Combat is a more or less inevitable part of EVE for most playstyles. Here's where to get started:
• Gunnery - 2% bonus to turret rate of fire per level.
• Motion Prediction - 5% bonus to turret tracking speed per level. (Requires Gunnery II)
• Rapid Firing - 4% bonus to turret rate of fire per level. (Requires Gunnery II)
• Controlled Bursts - 5% reduction to capacitor drain for turrets. (Requires Gunnery II) (Not needed for Minmatar ships.)
• Weapon Upgrades - 5% reduction in weapon CPU use per level. (Requires Gunnery II)
• Surgical Strike - 3% bonus to turret damage per level. (Requires Gunnery IV)
• Trajectory Analysis - 5% bonus to turret accuracy falloff per level. (Requires Gunnery IV)
For missile launchers:
• Missile Launcher Operation - 2% bonus to missile launcher rate of fire per level.
• Rapid Launch - 3% bonus to missile launcher rate of fire per level. (Requires Missile Launcher Operation II)
• Target Navigation Prediction - 10% decrease in target velocity damage reduction factor per level. (Requires Missile Launcher Operation II)
• Missile Projection - 10% bonus to missile maximum velocity per level. (Requires Missile Launcher Operation III)
• Warhead Upgrades - 2% bonus missile damage per level. (Requires Missile Launcher Operation IV)

Overview 101

Understanding and setting up your overview is VERY important. First, a couple of basics:

• NPCs ALWAYS show up as crosses. Small crosses = frigates and destroyers, larger crosses = cruisers and battlecruisers, big fat crosses = battleships and industrials.
• Wrecks: A filled triangle has loot. A hollow triangle has none.
• Colors for cans and wrecks:
White = You/your corp/your fleet owns this. Safe to loot.
Blue = Abandoned. Safe for anyone to loot.
Yellow = Owned by someone else. If you loot this, they will be able to shoot you.

Now, the big stuff: setting up your overview. There used to be a link to my corp's overview setup here, but it seems to have gone missing. Look for "eve overview setup" videos on YouTube, it should be pretty easy to find a good one.

You can have up to 5 tabs. The "Standard" tab should be your all-around go-to tab, and will fill most of your needs. The "Fight" tab is very very useful when you have a bunch of wrecks or other crap cluttering up your overview and you just need to pick out targets. My other tabs: A "Gates/Stations" tab which has only stargates and stations visible; this is very useful for quick navigation. A "Celestials" tab with all planets, moons, and suns; useful more for PvP when fleet commanders call out specific locations to warp to. And, finally, an "All" tab, which shows everything is very very useful for mining (shows all asteroids), drones, structures, or anything else that you can't find.

One final (and very important) note is that if you are being debuffed, it shows up on your overview. There are a few debuffs that don't matter as much, but stasis webifiers and especially web scramblers are VERY important to note. If you see either of these icons, or notice that you're being webbed/scrammed, make sure that these are your primary targets. I leave a little room off to the side of my overview to make these icons easier to see (otherwise they overlap on top of the text). You'll note that I also have "trans" (aka Transversal Velocity) shown; this is very useful information for turrets. (NOTE: Just found out it's better to use ANGULAR velocity for this.) The lower your angular velocity with the target, the higher chance your turrets have to hits. If you're in a frigate, you can use also this information to try and maintain a higher angular velocity with your fast ship, making you harder to hit.

System Security Level:
0.5 - 1.0 = Highsec. CONCORD will warp in and destroy any player that attacks you without kill rights.
WARNING: Entering a system with a security level of 0.4 or lower drastically increases your chance of being ganked.
0.1 - 0.4 = Lowsec. Sentry turrets at warp gates will attack any player who attacks you without kill rights. Note that these sentry turrets will not be able to kill larger enemy ships in time before they blow you up, and they will not chase enemy players around like CONCORD does.
0.0 = Nullsec. You're on your own.

Kill Rights:
A player is free to kill you without CONCORD or sentry turret interference if:
1) You attack them. This includes self-defense; if you attack them, they can attack you.
2) You steal from them. This includes looting yellow cans or wrecks.
3) Your corporation is at war with them. This is highly unlikely if you are in the starter NPC corp.
4) You are in nullsec.

Session Change Timer
Go to General Settings -> Show Session-Change Timer and check the box (it's in the upper left corner). Now you'll see a little spinning clock in the upper-left corner of your screen, by the system name, whenever the timer is active:
It's similar to forbearance; it locks you out of certain actions for 30 seconds when any one of them happens. Your timer is activated when one of the following happens, and you can not do any of the following while your timer is active:
• Docking
• Jumping through a stargate, wormhole or cyno
• Joining/Leaving a fleet
• Changing fleet roles
• Ejecting from your ship
• Using a jump clone
Losing your ship, being pod killed, and undocking also activates the timer.
Your ship is COMPLETELY INVINCIBLE while your timer is active when you undock from a station as long as you don't activate anything. So if you undock and there's some nasty pirate (or someone you pissed off) sitting outside waiting for you, just hit ctrl-space to stop your ship. They won't be able to damage you as long as you don't do anything. As soon as the timer wears off, you can dock right back up without even a scratch.

Mission Basics:
Level I missions: As long as you're not hostile to the faction, you can get these missions. They're doable in pretty much any ship, are typically pretty easy, and don't pay very well. You do them until you have enough rating (rep) for...
Level II missions: These require you to have a 1.0 rating (ratings go from -10 to 10). They give noticeably better pay and Loyalty Points, which are basically a currency specific to the dudes you're running missions for. You can use them to buy faction implants, ammo, modules, ships, and blueprints. Basically like earning Justice Points to buy your epics, only it takes quite a bit longer. Being as these missions are a little harder, most people use a cruiser for them. You can still use frigates, but new players may find some missions too challenging for that.
Level III missions: Once you have a 3.0 rating, you can do Level 3 missions. These are another significant step up in pay; if completed within the time limit (Missions in EVE have two isk rewards; one for completing the mission, and a "bonus" reward for completing it within a certain amount of time. The time limits are generally pretty lax, and unless you have to log off, you should typically be able to get the bonus.), 1 million isk and 700 LP per mission is probably about the average (not including loot, bounty and salvage). If you're running the mission for ISK, these are very good. Especially on missions that have you facing a bunch of pirates, mission completion + bounty + loot + salvage can easily net you 3-4+ million. ("Bounty" is something you'll find on pirate npcs, as well as some players. When you kill them, you are rewarded the bounty amount.) Again, these are also a step up in challenge; most people use battlecruisers for L3s.
Level IV missions: At 5.0 rating, you're given access to L4 missions. These are another significant step up in pay and challenge. A battleship (the largest non-capital fighting ship) being flown by a pilot with enough skillpoints (read: at least a few months training) and equipped with the correct set of resistances for that specific mission can solo these, but they're better suited for small groups of people to tackle. Think of them as dungeons. These are loads of fun in groups, some of the vets in my corp often run them in their battleships and let us rookies come along. In a small group (3-5), I usually get 3-5 million per mission from reward + bounty + loot. (Mission reward and bounty are split equally among fleet members; loot is typically divided after the mission run is over.)
Level V missions: I have no experience with these. Reading about them, they put you against fleets of enemies with capital ships at their disposal. They only occur in low/nullsec.

Protips:
• NEVER FLY SOMETHING YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO LOSE/REPLACE.
• Do all the tutorial missions. You get a lot of ships from them, and they teach you the basics. After you're done with them, consider going to the Arnon system (Arnon IX - Moon 3 - Sisters of Eve Bureau) and doing the Sister of Eve arc. It's a great quest chain that will take you all over highsec and get you some standing with all four factions.
• Don't put off training for Afterburners and Microwarpdrives.
If the game is taking forever to log you in at "Authenticating," you should empty EVE's cache.
Escape -> Reset Settings -> Clear all cache files.
This will cause EVE to reboot so don't, like, do it in the middle of a fight or something.
• Want to see everything in the game? There's a "Show Only Available" checkbox in the bottom left corner of your Market window. Uncheck it.
• Module Sizes:
Small = Frigates/Destroyers
Medium = Cruisers/Battlecruisers
Large = Battleships
Extra Large = Capital Ships
There are some turrets that don't quite follow the naming scheme just to mess with your head; when in doubt, check the prerequisites. Medium Beam Laser I is actually a small module, as seen by the fact that it requires only the Small Energy Turret I skill.

Prolinks:
http://eveinfo.net/wiki/indexp~1.htm - The Something Awful Goonswarm wiki. This is actually a great guide to all things EVE for beginners.
http://games.chruker.dk/eve_online/default.php - Great reference site for all things EVE; newbies and veterans alike will appreciate this.
http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=MissionReports - A great PvE mission guide that lets you prepare for missions and decide if you want to decline them.
http://www.evesurvival.caedwards.net/wi ... ionReports - Sometimes eve-survival.org goes down.
http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/ ... luence.png - Automagically updated map of the EVE universe.
Character Skill Planners:
http://evemon.battleclinic.com - EVEMon, for Windows.
http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.as ... ID=1096971 - Mac EVE Tools, for Mac.
Ship Fitting Tools (for testing out modules to see if they fit on your ship before you buy them):
http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.as ... dID=548883 - EVE Fitting Tool, for Windows.
http://www.evefit.org/Pyfa/Installation - pyfa, for Mac.
Also for Mac, download these and turn your fans all the way up if you're not using a tower:
http://www.derman.com/iMac-Fan-Control - iMac
http://www.derman.com/MacBook-Pro-Fan-Control - Laptop

EVE <-> WoW semi-accurate translator:
Corporation: Guild
Fleet Commander: Raid Leader
Fleet: Party
Rating/Standing: Reputation
Agent: Quest Giver
Mission: Quest
Epic Arc: Quest Chain
Rat: NPC/Mob
Pirate: Ganker ("pirate" is always a player, "rat" is an NPC)
Market: Auction House/Vendor
Jump Clone: Hearthstone (...kind of)
L4/L5: Dungeon
Incursion: Raid
1,000,000,000 ISK ≈ 25,000 Gold
40,000,000 ISK ≈ 1,000 Gold
1,000,000 ISK ≈ 25 Gold
Module: Item
Civilan Module: White Item
Tech 1 Module: Green Item
Named Module: Blue Item
Tech 2/Faction Module: Epic Item
Officer/Deadspace Module: Heroic Item

Level 4 missions (or simply L4s) are designed for battleship pilots with at least a few months of combat training under their belts. They give very good payouts in the forms of mission rewards, bounties, loot and salvage.
I often spend a fair amount of time running L4s, and am more than happy to bring along people from Maintankadin. It's a good way to for a new player to learn the basics of fleet combat, as well as have some fun making good isk!

I'm typically online starting around around 23:00 EVE time on weekdays, and starting around 19:00 EVE time on weekends. I will often be running L4s during these times, so don't be afraid to ask in Maintankadin chat if I am/when I'm planning to next.

I am currently running L4s out of Ashokon, which is only two jumps from Arnon (the Sisters of Eve area). I do not run missions against Empire factions, so the only factions you'll be losing standing with are pirates. In the event that I have to decline a second faction mission within four hours, I have access to multiple other L4 agents within a few jumps. The closest trade hub is Dodixie, 5 jumps away.

All ships are welcome, with the exception of rookie ships and industrial ships (except for a Noctis)! Frigates and Battleships alike are all useful, so fly whatever you're comfortable with. Bring at least a few thousand rounds of ammo if you're planning on staying for a while. I'll typically have one pilot in a Noctis, or be flying one myself to clean up after each mission if we don't have someone who can fly one.

All players are free to loot/salvage as they wish; however, don't fall behind or you'll miss out on bounties. The Noctis pilot will be cleaning up all the wrecks during/after the mission anyway. After each mission, there will be a designated station to drop off loot and salvage (typically Ashokon XIII - Moon 16 - Amarr Certified News Development Studio). At the end of the session, all loot and salvage will be contracted or traded to me, and I will sell it all and distribute the resulting isk among all players according to how many missions they were present for. (I typically do this the morning after the L4 run.)
You can check to see what has been looted (and by who) at any time by simply clicking the "History" tab in the Fleet window. If you see something you can use, just ask for it! I'm more than happy to help gear everyone up.

There IS a chance that you'll get aggro on a freshly spawned wave of enemy ships. In the extremely rare case that not only does this happen, but your ship is also destroyed before you're able to warp out, I will reimburse you the Jita price for your T1 frigate, destroyer, or cruiser. I know how much it can suck losing your pride and joy, especially early on in the game.

That's about it! Show up, have some fun, get some isk. Payout depends greatly on fleet size and mission, but you can expect an average of around 5 million isk per mission.
Last edited by Invisusira on Thu May 16, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Invisusira

Re: pew pew laser paladins in space

Postby Shamora » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:05 pm

It has been a couple of years since I have played. Use to play Eve when I would take a break from WoW. I was mostly jet can mining roids with my Covetor and picked it up with my Badger 2. When I got bored of that I would run some missions with my Drake or Raven then salvage with my Cormorant. Also loved listening to EVE Radio and participating in the various contests that the DJs do.

I absolutely love CCP's stance of providing punishment or penalties instead of restrictions. For example, instead of preventing people from attacking each other in high security areas they have Concord (the police) appear rapidly and they will destroy the offender(s). While this prevents the majority of people from attacking there have been cases of teams of suicide gankers. People who will attack high value targets, either haulers with valuable cargo or ships equipped with expensive modules, with hopes of gaining more then they lose from concord destroying their ships (When a ship is destroyed there is a 50% chance per item that modules and cargo will drop instead of being destroyed).

I also loved people being able to sell game time in game for ISK. This provided people with more time then money to effectively play for free or pay for an alt. Also provides people with more money then time a way to make ISK. All without creating ISK out of thin air or throwing the market out of wack.

Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Barthilas, Horde - <Tribo>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 100 Assassination Rogue
Shamora

Postby cakeftw » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:43 pm

I USED to play quite heavily with an alliance in nullsec called brick squad.

I hadnt been playing that long so i had no real money making method aside from missions, which were risky as hell as there wasnt a day when we werent at war with goddam hisec russians, so I skilled for a tengu, the most overpowered ratting (killing pirates in little mini dungeons in nullsec) ship ever made ever.
I finished all the skills for it including subsystem skills to 5 and fitted my tengu out with really nice stuff and... CCP completely obliterated the entire region of space we lived in for ratting, and most of the other space in game for that too.

Really knocked the hell out of me since i'd effectively just wasted close to a month and a billion isk so I just stopped playing while brick squad fell apart and we lost geminate, no more are crys of BFF heard all over bwf or d-i whenever a russian makes the mistake of trying to gank someone :(

Still proud to have taken part in the biggest super capital ship fight in eve ever, where i contributed to the killing of a nyx (supercarrier, second largest ship type in the game) and took a few shots at a titan before the node crashed hardcore though :D
cakeftw

Postby Invisusira » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:26 pm

Shamora wrote:Image

The player characters got a pretty major overhaul not that long ago, they're a lot more detailed and you can actually walk around in stations now.
Not that there's really a point, yet, mind you.
Invisusira

Postby Shamora » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:43 pm

So I have heard. I still read the monthly newsletter they send out and they keep tempting me with 5 free days. Looking at my old logs the last time I played was Dec 22nd, 2009.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Shamora

Postby Arnock » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:03 pm

How does PVE content work in EVE?
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby laterna » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:50 pm

I've started playing this game 3? weeks ago more or less, and its a good game, sadly I don't have enough time for wow, studies and eve online to play all the time, but I make due.

Initially I wanted to be a miner, working into an orca as a mining foreman, but even that yields too little ISK/hour for my tastes. Instead I turned into a freighter pilot with trading. I work out of The Metropolis and Heimatar regions jumping between the two trading between regions. The market (AH) doesn't go around universally, it works per region. So considering Rens (Heimatar trade hub) is 6 jumps away from Hek (Metropolis trade hub), I just shift materials around for large profit. The only problem is that you need a relatively large starting capital to make it worth it, since you're usually making 10% profit on each trip (profit varies A LOT) but sales aren't instant, you're looking upto 2-3 days for each thing you buy/sell depending on demand and supply

Mining wise, it takes me around 3 hours to make 2 million, but I know I can mine all day long. Trading wise, I make 0-20M a day depending on how much I play, how fast my stuff sells etc. I assume that once I get a large enough capital (around 250M) I'll be able to haul stuff around more efficiently, without multiple items on sale at any given time etc
laterna

Postby Shamora » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Arnock wrote:How does PVE content work in EVE?

The biggest PVE element are missions. They are given by an agent and you get different types of missions depending on the type of the agent. You can get missions such as kill, delivery, trade or mining. For kill missions they tend to spawn the area in a random nearby system and gives you the coords to the acceleration gate to enter it. While I believe people could find the gate if they were skilled enough, it is effectively an instanced area. These 'dungeons' can be a single room or multiple chained together by gates. You can read more about missions here.

There are also NPC pirates that spawn in asteroid belts that you can fight. The lower the system's security rating the harder they get and the better loot they can drop. This is called ratting.

And of course there is mining. You shot a mining laser, or use mining drones (which last I checked sucked), to move ore from the asteroid to your haul. Then go to a station and deposit the ore there. Then you can either sell the ore from that station or move it to another region where it might go for more.

Which brings me to one important point that laterna also brought up. The market in EVE isn't connected. You can search prices for the region that you are in and there appears to be 66 regions. Also the items don't get mailed to you. You have to go to the station that you purchased the goods from or put up a courier contract and have someone move them to another station for a price.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Shamora

Postby Jerth » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:43 pm

EVE is an excellent game, I just wish I had the time to play it now. Every few months I subscribe for a month or two and then stop again, but I do love flying my shield tanked Hurricane Battlecruiser and blast pirates till I run out of ammo :)

One thing to note, EVE is mostly aimed at being a PvP MMO and the death penalty is very high since you lose your ship and gear when you explode. But, unlike WOW, you can actually be useful in a pvp group after a few hours by learning 'debuf' skills and flying cheap figates to tackle and lockdown larger ships for others to kill.

The EVE motto is if you cant offord to lose it, dont fly it. Definately worth a try and if you do make sure you get into a Corporation since it is a very social game.
Jerth

Postby laterna » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:47 am

I c wut u did thar
laterna

Postby Invisusira » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:09 am

Shamora wrote:
Arnock wrote:How does PVE content work in EVE?

The biggest PVE element are missions. They are given by an agent and you get different types of missions depending on the type of the agent. You can get missions such as kill, delivery, trade or mining. For kill missions they tend to spawn the area in a random nearby system and gives you the coords to the acceleration gate to enter it. While I believe people could find the gate if they were skilled enough, it is effectively an instanced area. These 'dungeons' can be a single room or multiple chained together by gates. You can read more about missions here.

Basic rundown of missions -

Level 1 missions: As long as you're not hostile to the faction, you can get these missions. They're doable in pretty much any ship, are typically pretty easy, and don't pay very well. You do them until you have enough rating (rep) for...

Level 2 missions: These require you to have a 1.0 rating (ratings go from -10 to 10). They give noticeably better pay and Loyalty Points, which are basically a currency specific to the dudes you're running missions for. You can use them to buy faction implants, ammo, modules, ships, and blueprints. Basically like earning Justice Points to buy your epics, only it takes quite a bit longer. Being as these missions are a little harder, most people use a cruiser for them. You can still use frigates, but new players may find some missions too challenging for that.

Level 3 missions: Once you have a 3.0 rating, you can do Level 3 missions. These are another significant step up in pay; if completed within the time limit (Missions in EVE have two isk rewards; one for completing the mission, and a "bonus" reward for completing it within a certain amount of time. The time limits are generally pretty lax, and unless you have to log off, you should typically be able to get the bonus.), 1 million isk and 700 LP per mission is probably about the average (not including loot, bounty and salvage). If you're running the mission for ISK, these are very good. Especially on missions that have you facing a bunch of pirates, mission completion + bounty + loot + salvage can easily net you 3-4+ million. ("Bounty" is something you'll find on pirate npcs, as well as some players. When you kill them, you are rewarded the bounty amount.) Again, these are also a step up in challenge; most people use battlecruisers for L3s.

Level 4 missions: At 5.0 rating, you're given access to L4 missions. These are another significant step up in pay and challenge. A battleship (the largest non-capital fighting ship) being flown by a pilot with enough skillpoints (read: at least a few months training) and equipped with the correct set of resistances for that specific mission can solo these, but they're better suited for small groups of people to tackle. Think of them as dungeons. These are loads of fun in groups, some of the vets in my corp often run them in their battleships and let us rookies come along. In a small group (3-5), I usually get 3-5 million per mission from reward + bounty + loot. (Mission reward and bounty are split equally among fleet members; loot is typically divided after the mission run is over.)

Level 5 missions: I have no experience with these. Reading about them, they put you against fleets of enemies with capital ships at their disposal. They only occur in low/nullsec and I imagine them to be akin to raids.

On the note of "being found" - missions occur at random spots in any given system. Only you and those in your fleet (party) have direct access to the area. However, if someone's out to get you, they can scan you down. It takes time and some trial and error, but they can use scan probes to search the whole system until they find you. However, in most cases, they'll be forced to warp to the "jump in" point, so you'll probably be far away from them and will have time to warp away. I've yet to be scanned down while doing missions.
Invisusira

Postby Invisusira » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:30 am

Oh, uh, also - if you're playing EVE on a non-tower Mac.... download this.

http://www.derman.com/iMac-Fan-Control (iMac)
http://www.derman.com/MacBook-Pro-Fan-Control (Laptop)

Turn your fans all the way up or you'll be playing overheat-lockup roulette with your ships (and that's a game I've lost a couple ships to). And I do mean lockup. I've never seen a program hard-lock an iMac before, but EVE seems to do the trick if you play for too long.
Invisusira

Postby cerwillis » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:09 am

I got in last night. Amazingly fast download, I think it did 4.5 GB in about 20 minutes. I'm Evilan Willis and I did the tutorials, but I can't say that I have any idea whats going on. I guess the idea after that is to follow one of the agent tracks, so I'll get started on that after raid tonight.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:13 am

You did the opening tutorials or ALL the tutorials? Each "track" gets you a lot of knowledge and a couple ships, do em all if you haven't yet!
Invisusira

Postby cerwillis » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:30 am

Invisusira wrote:You did the opening tutorials or ALL the tutorials? Each "track" gets you a lot of knowledge and a couple ships, do em all if you haven't yet!

Opening tutorials. I could have spent all night designing my character. :mrgreen:
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Other Games