Remove Advertisements

Plotholes You Noticed In Your Favorite Movies

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Plotholes You Noticed In Your Favorite Movies

Postby Flex » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:44 am

obligatory cracked article link

also Batman Begins, microwave emitter to vaporize water in Gotham, leaves people perfectly fine except for those on the boat it was stolen from.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:05 am

fuzzygeek wrote:This doesn't count as a plot hole either -- more of a hanging plot thread: in Limitless, what the hell really happened with the murder?

Which murder... the guy that he got the pills from initially? Because I'm pretty sure it was the assistant guy to the rich dude that was going in for the merger (sorry for the lack of names... I've seen it once... on an airplane... coming back to Germany from the US...) that killed him prior to searching for the pills in his apartment, and not finding them because he didn't put together that the guy never cooked, and his oven looked brand new.

Also... as far as spoiler alerts go... I think it kind of goes without saying, due to the thread topic, but LB could edit his original post topic to update it...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Passionario » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:28 am

If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Arnock » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:41 am

Shyrtandros wrote:[IMO you bring up "reasoning" more than "plotholes"

It's sensible that they could have somehow found someone to take their currency or traded ships..

A plot hole at least to me is that they mention in episode 1 that slaves have an explosive in them that detonates if they try to escape.. but they never revealed if this was either 1) a myth or 2) removed.

tvtropes wrote:•Characters ignoring or avoiding obvious solutions to their problems, provided those solutions are obvious to the characters, and not just the viewers.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Lightbeard » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:16 am

Jeremoot wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:This doesn't count as a plot hole either -- more of a hanging plot thread: in Limitless, what the hell really happened with the murder?

The major plot hole for me was, if he was really smart and could learn anything in a matter of days (tops). Why couldn't he just learn chemistry and how to make his own pills? -SPOILER- We know it's possible, and he could probably even do it faster than the guy he hired to. -SPOILER-

Thats actually a good question
Lightbeard

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:38 am

The socialite he hooked up with while blacking out was found murdered -- he was brought in for the line up, and they never really touched on it again.

Also, WRT him just making the pills on his own: the pills may give the ability to have perfect storage and recall and processing to make connections. It may not grant the ability to make "intuitive leaps" or "creativity" that problem solving requires.

You could argue that "intuitive leaps" are indistinguishable from brute-force tree transversals run at high speed, I guess, but that starts becoming a different conversation entirely.

I figured he eventually helped develop and refine the drug, eventually developing a single-dose application with permanent effects, and the lab that De Niro shut down at the end was just a production shop -- or just a facade to give De Niro something to look for. Misdirection, if you will.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Malthrax » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Skye1013 wrote:

Which murder... the guy that he got the pills from initially? Because I'm pretty sure it was the assistant guy to the rich dude that was going in for the merger (sorry for the lack of names... I've seen it once... on an airplane... coming back to Germany from the US...) that killed him prior to searching for the pills in his apartment, and not finding them because he didn't put together that the guy never cooked, and his oven looked brand new.

Also... as far as spoiler alerts go... I think it kind of goes without saying, due to the thread topic, but LB could edit his original post topic to update it...

No, I think he was referring to the blonde in the hotel... though I believe the same thing happened to her as to his ex-brother-in-law.
Malthrax

Postby Amirya » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:48 pm

I'm hoping any space science-y types will correct me, but:

In the latest Star Trek movie, Vulcan is supposedly turned into a singularity, sucked in on itself. This, based on other implications in the movie, suggests such a singularity is, in fact, a black hole.

So the planet that the old Spock was imprisoned, and the young Kirk was dumped...wouldn't it have been in range to also be sucked into said black hole? If so, why wasn't it?
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:55 pm

Depends on the mass of the black hole. A black hole with the exact same mass as the planet it replaced would be gravitationally no different than the planet was. The other effects black holes are known for would occur only when you get within a short distance of it.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Mukat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:59 pm

Amirya wrote:I'm hoping any space science-y types will correct me, but:

In the latest Star Trek movie, Vulcan is supposedly turned into a singularity, sucked in on itself. This, based on other implications in the movie, suggests such a singularity is, in fact, a black hole.

So the planet that the old Spock was imprisoned, and the young Kirk was dumped...wouldn't it have been in range to also be sucked into said black hole? If so, why wasn't it?

Sci-fi has really misplayed the whole black hole vacuum in space thing. The black holes that we would normally encounter in real life are just infinitely dense points of matter in space that actually have the same, or similar, mass as the star that spawned it. If our sun collapsed and earth wasn't destroyed by any ensuing supernova, we wouldn't get sucked into it because the mass wouldn't change. Gravity wouldnt be affected.

Of course, the sun would probably go supernova after first swelling into a red giant, and all planets within the asteroid belt would surely be consumed. The Romulans were using "red matter" which somehow spontaneously forms black holes, which for the sake of exciting movies are space vacuums... in the vacuum of space.

So a wizard did it.

Edit: Also, if I'm remembering correctly, that Hothy planet could see Vulcan in the sky like we see the moon. That's odd for another planet to be that close, meaning it would probably be a Vulcan moon. That moon is horribly frigid compared to arid Vulcan.
Last edited by Mukat on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mukat

Postby Amirya » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Okay, fair enough.

I would have loved to study astronomy in school, but Amirya + Math = BAD IDEA ALL AROUND
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Amirya wrote:Okay, fair enough.

I would have loved to study astronomy in school, but Amirya + Math = BAD IDEA ALL AROUND

well now i know who NOT to ask for help on calculus.....

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Treck » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm

Thats a good one tbh.
Nomatter how massive the Black hole was, that other planet or moon would have been damn close to Vulcan to be seen that big from its surface, and Vulcan has no moon, and the closest planet prolly isnt that close.
More interestingly, why wouldnt that black hole become "a lightningstorm in space"? like the other times they have used red matter (that could be explained what by it beeing in the core of the planet, but im not buying it).
Also, if Nero just wanna destroy earth, why does he bother drilling in both earth and Vulcan to reach its core?, surely a black hole at its surface would be bad enough?
And its not like it needs intense heat or anything to make a black hole, as it does so without outside forces in the end when the Narada is destroyed.

But instead of focusing on those small plotholes, we should focus on the REAL plothole in that movie.
WTF was R2D2 doing there!?
(and yes, r2d2 does have a cameo, for about half a sec when they fly through the debris from the other ships around vulcan)
Treck

Postby Amirya » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm

bldavis wrote:
Amirya wrote:Okay, fair enough.

well now i know who NOT to ask for help on calculus.....

I'll admit, it took me forever to learn how to freakin' count money. US currency makes no sense to me.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:07 pm

Also, Spocks task with the red matter was to absorb the supernova, cuz it threatens to destroy the galaxy.
Wait what?
Its ok, it would only take about 70million years for it before it would really have destroyed the whole galaxy (give or take a few million years).
Treck

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum