Remove Advertisements

Cataclysm Average Health

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Cataclysm Average Health

Postby Jeremoot » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:33 pm

For modeling purposes in Wrath we said that average health is your maximum minus one boss hit, because between hits your healers would top you off. This was useful for comparing the changes in TTL.

Does this still hold accurate for Cataclysm with lowered burst damage? Should we factor in the probability of it being a blocked hit?
Jeremoot

Re: Cataclysm Average Health

Postby Meloree » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:15 pm

Jeremoot wrote:For modeling purposes in Wrath we said that average health is your maximum minus one boss hit, because between hits your healers would top you off. This was useful for comparing the changes in TTL.

Does this still hold accurate for Cataclysm with lowered burst damage? Should we factor in the probability of it being a blocked hit?

What lowered burst damage? Baleroc says hi. Hell, Shannox says hi.

I'm not sure what use that kind of metric is, though, I guess it depends on what you're trying to model. In general, for real content, you're topped off or you're at risk of dying. As a tank, it's important to have a feel for your incoming healing, and ideally a mod that shows predicted incoming heals on your healthbar, so you know how and when to react. These are things that it's very difficult (impossible?) to model, because they depend on reactions and choices, and with some tools (Word of Glory), they depend on foresight.

In addition, I think that kind of metric will be vastly different between 10H and 25H content - in 25H content, not a lot has changed - you still expect to be rapidly topped off as a tank, you won't sit at low health for a while. With less healers and significantly lower boss damage, I think there may be a little bit more "triage" going on in 10s - that's only from log browsing and not direct experience, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Either way, without knowing what you're trying to model, it's tough to answer the question.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Jeremoot » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:32 pm

I suppose I haven't had a look at heroic modes yet (being Garona-Horde), and this is probably a moot point at that level. In normal modes at least I don't see the 2-shot death mechanics of Wrath.

In order to understand how much burst damage I can survive -to place a value on stamina in normal modes- I need to know how many hits I can take at any given point in the fight. The probability of being at x health is different than the probability of being at y health throughout the fight, so I figure the best way to go about doing it is using your average health. In Wrath this was generally your maximum health subtract a boss hit.
Jeremoot

Postby Fetzie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:19 am

10 man normal bosses swing between 25 and 60k after armor but before blocking (outside of temporary damage buff situations). You can add 20-30% for heroic modes. Does that help?
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations