Remove Advertisements

Holy Priest spell choice.

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Holy Priest spell choice.

Postby Shoju » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:30 pm

Looking for a holy priest who can give me a breakdown on when you use what spells, chakra states, holy word spells, and what not.

And, the million dollar question. Do you ever use PW:S?
Shoju

Re: Holy Priest spell choice.

Postby Levantine » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:08 am

Never use pws for its shield. Only for body and soul. Will answer more when I'm not on my phone.
Levantine

Postby bldavis » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:54 am

lev can explain better then i can... so i am not even going to try... >.> :D

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Shoju » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:19 am

It has been interesting so far. I HATE Disc right now. I don't like the smite / holy fire to heal mechanics. It doesn't feel interesting. It feels... half baked after watching the Smite heal that is supposed to be smart heal stupid.

But Holy..... And Chakra... I feel like I'm cheating. The shear amount of healing that I'm able to push is astounding with the mastery.I'm sure it will even out as I get higher in levels and health pools even out, but right now, its mind blowing.
Shoju

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:10 am

Shoju wrote:It has been interesting so far. I HATE Disc right now. I don't like the smite / holy fire to heal mechanics. It doesn't feel interesting. It feels... half baked after watching the Smite heal that is supposed to be smart heal stupid.

You don't have to spec into that to heal as disc.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:12 am

Atonement is an option for Disc, not a requirement. If you legitimately needed healing to be done you should have been using your heals and not smiting and hoping Atonement picks the right target.

Anyways, Holy Word Sanctuary is massively niche in it's use. If you can't preplace it you're better off forsaking it for PoH/CoH spam. CoH is awesome. ProM is godlike. You will generally be running in Sanctuary for raids, Holy Priests are the weakest single target healer atm from what I've seen. On the bright side, between our AoE heals and Sanctuary we're really really good at AoE healing.

Serenity isn't bad at all, it's just outshined in a lot of situations. The ability to roll renew is hot and Holy Word is ballin too.
Levantine

Postby Shoju » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:28 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Shoju wrote:It has been interesting so far. I HATE Disc right now. I don't like the smite / holy fire to heal mechanics. It doesn't feel interesting. It feels... half baked after watching the Smite heal that is supposed to be smart heal stupid.

You don't have to spec into that to heal as disc.

No, you don't have to spec into it, but then... Disc is rather dull otherwise. This is coming from someone who can without a doubt say that I enjoyed being the bubble spamming dispel freak on my first LK10 kill, and felt immensely satisfied even though my first kill was on an alt.

I loved bubbles. I loved all teh crazy bubbles. I don't like disc as is currently. My only 'hope' / desire for the spec was that smite to heal wouldn't suck. I find that it sucks immensely.

Levantine wrote:Atonement is an option for Disc, not a requirement. If you legitimately needed healing to be done you should have been using your heals and not smiting and hoping Atonement picks the right target.

If it were a life and death situation, yes. I would have been using a 'real' heal. But, the dps stood in something, took half health as damage, and then my smite I was casting went off, and hit the tank, not healing the DPS, but overhealing the tank. I just couldn't do it.

Anyways, Holy Word Sanctuary is massively niche in it's use. If you can't preplace it you're better off forsaking it for PoH/CoH spam. CoH is awesome. ProM is godlike. You will generally be running in Sanctuary for raids, Holy Priests are the weakest single target healer atm from what I've seen. On the bright side, between our AoE heals and Sanctuary we're really really good at AoE healing.

Serenity isn't bad at all, it's just outshined in a lot of situations. The ability to roll renew is hot and Holy Word is ballin too.

I kind of noticed that my single target heals were... 'ok' while my AoE healing was just nuts. Last night in a BWD the fail group managed to pull both sides of the adds + the elementals after Karsh. We lived. No problems. No Freak out. and we just kept rollin' I was pretty impressed.
Shoju

Postby sherck » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:46 pm

Hmmm....my 2 cents on Holy Priest healing (since the really knowledgable people have not responded after a couple of days)...

1. Chakka Serenity is very nice for 5-man Heroics but not so nice for raids. I concur that I think Holy Priests are weakest at single-target healing right now so should not be asked to do much of that in raids. While you have an okay single-target tool kit with PoM, Renew, Holy Word: Serenity (abuse on CD, always) and Heal/Greater Heal, it does not equal the "other" single target tools of Earth Shield, Lifebloom, Beacon or Pennance.

However, that being said, I think there are a lot of times as a 10-man healer in FL that you might choose to go with Serenity.

On Shannox if you are assigned as the Riplimb tank healer. Primary single target heals along with a few AoE to get raid members back up after a spear throw.

On Beth, if you are the "up" healer.

On Baleroc due to only needing to heal a single person at a time (save the Holy Word Serenity as your instant "direct" heal on a shard tank in order to maintain stacks).

On Alysrazor as one of the "side" tank healers.

Now, in all these cases, there is, perhaps, a better place to put a Holy Priest but these are all possible jobs for him and where they might decide that Serenity is better.

2. Holy Word: Sanctuary is GREAT if you can get it down prior to the AoE damage going out but is lack-luster if you miss a couple of tick of damage and/or have to use a GCD to place it versus casting another CoH/PoH instead. Holy Priest has, BY FAR, the best burst AoE capability in the game with a CoH, PoH, PoH, CoH spell rotation. In heavy AoE situations, you do not want to break up that throughput by using a GCD (and on screen targeting time) by casting HW: Sanctuary during the burst.

3. Obviously, PoM is an incredible spell as is Lightwell. Need to probably build a Macro when you place a Lightwell that tells raid members that it is GREAT healing and to click on the dang thing and that it will not change their target, etc, etc. People still will not use it.

4. The "base" spell for Disc is Power Word: Shield. The "base" spell for Holy is Renew. DO NOT use the other spell when in the other spec (no shield for Holy, no Renew for Disc). When not propped up by talents and glyphs, those spells are not very good at all.

So, to answer your original questions:

-- In Chakka: Serenity for 5-man and perhaps in raids if you are primary healing a tank. Use Holy Word: Serenity pretty much on CD for the Crit buff.

-- In Chakka: Sanctuary any time you are the "raid" or "floater" healer (although, again, for Alysrazor as floater healer, I would be in Serenity during phase 1 and Sanctuary during phase 3). Lay down Holy Word: Sanctuary whenever you know there is going to be AoE damage and you can get it down prior to the damage starting. Otherwise, just spam CoH / PoH.

I like Holy healing so much more than Disc healing right now as well. So much so that I am thinking about ditching Disc as my Priet's off-spec and picking up, ick, Shadow so I can DPS older raids if needed.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Cogglamp » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:15 pm

I find Lev to be one of our really knowledgeable HPriests.

At the end of the day, it also depends on how far spread out your raid is. Missing targets from my CoH annoys me to no end. I think there's an addon that helps you show people that would be good members to cast CoH on. I forget the name right now. I'm sure you can find it.

Chakra is nice is that it gives me some flexibility based on fight mechanics but generally, I feel like it's AoE or bust sometimes. It's nice that we have a tank saver in GSpirit and we are more than competitive with Shamans in a spread out raid but when they can clump up, Healing Rains is incredibly powerful. Druids are well, still insane, but that's life.

In terms of spells, we probably have the largest toolbox available which can hurt or help depending on the situation and the player's skill. There are some nice PA strings in the Addon section of this site that are specific to priests as well which can help.

I know you're asking for spell choice but really it's all about who you're healing with and the situation. I use nearly all my spells save for Holy Nova. Maybe I could use those on Spiderlings in Beth'ilac...

PS - I'd also roll over to plusheal.com and check out the priest forums. It's moderated by derevka who authored talesofapriest.com and raids with meloree whom I'm sure you know from this site. Needless to say, that priest knows her stuff.
Cogglamp

Postby Amirya » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Shoju wrote:If it were a life and death situation, yes. I would have been using a 'real' heal. But, the dps stood in something, took half health as damage, and then my smite I was casting went off, and hit the tank, not healing the DPS, but overhealing the tank. I just couldn't do it.

What kind of dps was it? If it's melee, should not have been an issue, at all. But if it was ranged, it's very possible the dps was out of range. I find that I usually have to move closer to the tank in order for my smites to heal me if I need it.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:06 am

Amirya wrote:
Shoju wrote:If it were a life and death situation, yes. I would have been using a 'real' heal. But, the dps stood in something, took half health as damage, and then my smite I was casting went off, and hit the tank, not healing the DPS, but overhealing the tank. I just couldn't do it.

What kind of dps was it? If it's melee, should not have been an issue, at all. But if it was ranged, it's very possible the dps was out of range. I find that I usually have to move closer to the tank in order for my smites to heal me if I need it.

it was a rogue.

And thanks for all the info guys :)
Shoju

Postby Amirya » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:19 am

Then that's a very strange reaction on the part of Atonement, but hey...it's a rogue. :wink:
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Dantriges » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:30 am

The rogue ddn´t want to repent and atone. :wink:
Dantriges

Postby Amirya » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Dantriges wrote:The rogue ddn´t want to repent and atone. :wink:

But...Repentance is a paladin spell.

I think the poor rogue just got confused. :D
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:13 am

Eh, I'm loving Holy right now. I love the AoE healing. I love the hot's tacked on to every direct heal.

Are the 3 heals Heal / Flash Heal / Greater Heal all of equal value to a priest?

I ask because healing surge is just absolute garbage for R>Shaman to the point I don't even have it on a key. (i think it's on a bar, but not keyed.
Shoju

Next

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes