[10] Ragnaros

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby Tebin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:23 am

Thanks fuzzy, but how do you stay in melee range without being in the fire ring? Can you avoid it if you're right up against him?
Tebin
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:18 pm

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby Forgrim » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:07 am

you can be in melee range from right outside the fire ring, just make sure you don't touch it.
Forgrim
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:11 am

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:32 am

Forgrim wrote:you can be in melee range from right outside the fire ring, just make sure you don't touch it.


This. If you see yourself suddenly taking 50k damage a second or so, you're standing too close :D

Also make sure all your melee is quick on the bounce to get out, or Rag will follow rooted mob AI and punch them.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby Juugimus » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:18 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:
Forgrim wrote:you can be in melee range from right outside the fire ring, just make sure you don't touch it.


This. If you see yourself suddenly taking 50k damage a second or so, you're standing too close :D

Also make sure all your melee is quick on the bounce to get out, or Rag will follow rooted mob AI and punch them.



THIS.

We were losing a couple people in that phase to melee swing until we realized people were late getting out.
Image

Pallies do it in the Light
Juugimus
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 9:34 am

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby Herrbjorn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:17 pm

I highly recommend the addon GTFO, it audibly notifies you when taking damage from the fire ring.
Herrbjorn
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:52 am

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby Fetzie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:12 am

The fire ring also deals damage until it has COMPLETELY despawned.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2229
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby Arincia » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:04 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for a easy way to handle phase 3? Having some 15%-19% wipes today and last weekend on him due to someone getting the meteor and having it path through someone (mainly tanks and melee).

For reference group comp is:
Tanks: Paladin/Warrior
Melee: DK/Shaman
Range: mage/lock/hunter
Healer: Paladin/priest/druid

(and yes we have tried to 2 healing but looking for execution tips to simplify the chaos during that phase)
Image
Arincia
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:13 am

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:28 pm

In general, would recommend splitting to the sides and keep the middle clear; kite the meteors from one extreme edge to the other, and always knock the meteors backwards, away from Rag and your raid.

There isn't much you can do to reduce the chaos, but you can keep calm and controlled. This phase requires everyone to keep their eyes open and be aware of what is going on, and try not to behave in a fashion that gets themselves or other people killed.

Ideally you will have rag down around the time the third meteor spawns.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby Arincia » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Yeah DPS seems spot on (3rd meteor spawned on a 15% wipe with 1-2 dps dead from 20% or so) and was debating keeping the raid in the center as we were doing or spreading out to the sides to take advantage of more space. The only worry about moving to a side or spreading everyone to both sides is a meteor spawning on them so if there's a method to where the meteors can spawn from (vrs completely rng) would be much appreciated.
Image
Arincia
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:13 am

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby Ardrhyst » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:57 pm

For healing phase one, do you have just one healer working on tanks? We have two healers on the raid and one on tanks, and the one on tanks is blowing a gasket because he's blowing mana so quickly. It doesn't seem like that should be right. He seems intent on doing it that way, so he must have seen it advised somewhere... Just wondering what the experience is from people on here that have killed him.
Biggest Game Hunter, as well as collector of pets and mounts. Currently hunting paladins' former glory.
User avatar
Ardrhyst
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:16 pm

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:58 pm

We have two healers on the tanks and one on the raid, but I'm sure there's plenty of crossover.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 11005
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby Daenerys » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:42 pm

Nikachelle wrote:We have two healers on the tanks and one on the raid, but I'm sure there's plenty of crossover.


This is what we do. I raid heal, which is a fairly boring job for the most part, and refresh riptide/earth shield on tanks when i can get in range of them real quick (annoying to do when your melee are across the room to be "behind" ragnaros). but there is definitely way more tank damage to heal than raid.. just position most of your ranged dps in range of the tank healers and the tank healers can toss heals on them after a trap, there is no other damage to heal unless someone is stupid enough to get hit by lava waves.

ETA: if i were able to be in range of the melee and tanks at all times i'd spend more time healing tanks for sure. it's just the range issue that makes the fight annoying as a raid healer.
Image
Daenerys
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:18 pm

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby Arincia » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:24 pm

Ended up successfully downing it with 2 healing (druid and paladin healers). You have to realize that 95% the raid damage taken is predicable or avoidable. Lava waves (avoidable/timer) flame orbs/explosions (predictable), bombs (predictable), adds exploding on hammer (avoidable), Lava lines (avoidable/timer) that's about 90-95% the raid damage going out so as you can see it is highly manageable. Also if you go that route tanks need to be very lenient with using CD's. 9 minutes to kill means you can cycle through the 3 minute cds 3 times easily. Anyways hope this is was helpful.
Image
Arincia
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:13 am

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby Ezelyn » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:18 am

Ardrhyst wrote:For healing phase one, do you have just one healer working on tanks? We have two healers on the raid and one on tanks, and the one on tanks is blowing a gasket because he's blowing mana so quickly. It doesn't seem like that should be right. He seems intent on doing it that way, so he must have seen it advised somewhere... Just wondering what the experience is from people on here that have killed him.


A holy-pally can solo-heal tank in p1. Your active tank has to use his magic resist (trinket, cd) when your mage/priest soaks a trap (and not fail the 3-4 stacks swap).
But in fact, there isn't any reason to solo-heal this, because raid doesn't take damage except traps.
In our 2 healing way, we don't have any assignation except i take right side and he takes left side (but it's only to be sure everybody is in range from one of us).
Even when i fail my p1 (bad healing choice, bad spell choice) i'm about 60% mana. Divine Plea in transition and that's ok.

The hard healing part is in p2 when the whole raid is moving from one side to another.
After this, p3 can be solohealed (only tank damage).
Ezelyn
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:06 am

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby Andover » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:48 pm

Ezelyn wrote:A holy-pally can solo-heal tank in p1. Your active tank has to use his magic resist (trinket, cd) when your mage/priest soaks a trap (and not fail the 3-4 stacks swap).
But in fact, there isn't any reason to solo-heal this, because raid doesn't take damage except traps.


You're wrong, they take more than just traps. Look up Hand of Ragnaros and Wrath of Ragnaros. They will both deal damage to the raid.

In our 2 healing way, we don't have any assignation except i take right side and he takes left side (but it's only to be sure everybody is in range from one of us).
Even when i fail my p1 (bad healing choice, bad spell choice) i'm about 60% mana. Divine Plea in transition and that's ok.

The hard healing part is in p2 when the whole raid is moving from one side to another.
After this, p3 can be solohealed (only tank damage).


Either you extremly out gear this content or you have a VERY good raid healer (guessing it's a druid) that you can end P1 with 60% mana.
Andover
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:35 am

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest