Remove Advertisements

Power supply (physical dimensions)

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Power supply (physical dimensions)

Postby amh » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:02 am

Hullo.

The power supply in my computer has been slowly dying for a few months, so I need to replace it. I don't need something amazing, I just need something I know will actually fit in the case.

Computer: link.

Current power supply description: 365W 80 PLUS Active PFC

Question: Is any of that part of a standard, or do I need to physically remove it and run around comparing sizes before buying a new one? My computer's case is rather tight, so the new supply really can't deviate much from the old one.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Re: Power supply (physical dimensions)

Postby Talaii » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:36 am

Not sure about the power supply in that case. I would suspect it's a standard ATX, considering it's around a standard ATX sized motherboard.

A standard ATX power supply is 150 mm × 86 mm × 140 mm. Note that a lot of power supplies (and almost every high-end power supply) are much deeper than that - 150x86x150 is fairly common amongst lower-end ones, whereas the big 1kW+ models can be 180-200mm deep. Almost every power supply sold is 150x86mm, with variable depth (140mm+) as noted above. If the power supply is smaller than this, SFX power supplies are also smaller, but more expensive.

If you don't want to measure the PSU yourself, HP sells replacements here. I can't seem to find actual physical specs on the power supplies - their ordering website is quite devoid of details. Googling the model number should also give you options as to where to buy it.
Talaii

Postby amh » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:54 am

Talaii wrote:(...) their ordering website is quite devoid of details.

Yeah, I noticed. ;) I might just go up a performance-level, actually. Going to have to replace my GPU one of these days, and my current case doesn't have enough space for one of those 2slot-width GPUs. Cheers for the default ATX measurements; I'll compare and go from there!
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:30 am

Well, at least mine wasn't smaller than the standard. Current PSU: 150mm x 150mm x 100mm. Bit awkward, but now I know there's room.

Thanks again! Also, for laughs, here's a picture of the interior. Was kinda hard finding a graphics card to fit in there. I actually had to cut a little bit off of the card's metal casing to get it to fit.

amh
Maintankadonor

Return to Tech Stuff