Remove Advertisements

Alysrazor Mage Trick

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Alysrazor Mage Trick

Postby Rokh » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:41 pm

Found this out by accident last night

When Alysrazor gets up from the ground at 50% energy and starts her cleave of doom, the Tank that taunts first had DCed, so our mage used images to lose threat out of habbit.

it turned out mirror images are immune to the cleave.

So we just have our mage use MI when ever she hits 50% energy, and makes healing very easy since you dont have to heal tanks anymore, just the raid.
Rokh

Re: Alysrazor Mage Trick

Postby mclem » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:36 am

My gut says that this'd be regarded as an exploit, which if I'm right would suggest you may wish to be careful!
mclem

Postby Rokh » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:19 am

You could use MI to split the splash on chim, and in wolk you could make Sarth 3d a joke by useing a pet as the MT.. all of which blizzard said was not exploiting.. so I would assume this is just clever use of game mechanics :)
Rokh

Postby Selcouth » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:55 am

Is it a exploit? U don't know and you won`t know until you do it and get timebanned or not.
If im saying weird things correct me PLEASE. I`m from Germany and don`t know it better.^^
Selcouth

Postby frontallobe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:52 am

This is not an exploit. It's just a "oh crap" tactic that you really shouldn't need but like the OP said he used when the tank DCed. I can't imagine, even knowing this, that I would change our standard tank strat. It's just not hard enough to need any modifications on that part. I agree.. it's like Chim.
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby Winkle » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:56 am

Used the "trick" this week. Works like a charm and means healers can just aoe heal.
Winkle

Postby Chicken » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:40 pm

frontallobe wrote:This is not an exploit. It's just a "oh crap" tactic that you really shouldn't need but like the OP said he used when the tank DCed. I can't imagine, even knowing this, that I would change our standard tank strat. It's just not hard enough to need any modifications on that part. I agree.. it's like Chim.
Well, it's an oh crap tactic to a certain extent. It's actually very easy to reliably reproduce if you have a fire mage with you. It being required is a different matter of course, since the burn out phase acts like a complete refill for healer mana anyway.
Chicken

Postby ronwolf » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:46 am

I'm having some trouble getting this to work consistently- seems that sometimes my threat doesn't even register, and so when I pop images when the boss pops up she ignores my little buddies.

Just to test, we ran a couple attempts with only myself in the air on the boss (fire spec, popping combustion on a good ignite at 25 stacks during burnout.) Our first cycle seems to always work, but during our 2nd burnout phase I was completely ignored (an arcane mage got the boss' attention), and mass rez soon followed. Omen meters look rather strange as well...

So while this could be a great break for our healers and tanks, if it fails it results in a horrible mess of cleaved bodies :)

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this threat weirdness... (wondering if it matters when i pop images? Sometimes I do it at 45-48 energy, sometimes right after she pops up, didn't know if that might matter.)
ronwolf

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:01 am

Did you dump threat (invis) after the images wore off the first time?
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby ronwolf » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:17 am

No, never hit invis. I relied on the fact that MI has a 30sec duration, and the Burning Claw phase is only 25 (which worked fine, the images were always still up by the time she reignited and flew off.)
ronwolf

Postby Rokh » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:36 pm

I dont know if you solved your issue, but keep in mind your not generating any threat while your MI are up.

If you dont have a good threat lead, an arcane mage is gonna drop 200k ABs during that ground phase and prolly pull off you.

What we do is salv people when the tornados stop that we think will be doing more dps than the mage in the air, our list does include another mage and a shadow priest.
Rokh

Postby bvennik » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:24 am

Hi Rokh,

Great tactic;

Do you have an youtube movie where the tactic is applied?
I got a stubborn mage who refuses to try stuff if it's not on youtube or a "proved concept" by elite guilds.

Thanks!
bvennik

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:37 am

Rokh wrote:I dont know if you solved your issue, but keep in mind your not generating any threat while your MI are up.

Incorrect; MI applies a -4,000,000 modifier to your current threat, but you still generate threat while this is active, and return to the unmodified value at the end as if you'd never used MI.

If you dont have a good threat lead, an arcane mage is gonna drop 200k ABs during that ground phase and prolly pull off you.

This is very true, though. An Arcane Mage in burn phase is gonna pull massive numbers, and against most other specs will reduce any threat lead significantly.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Belloc » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:20 am

bvennik wrote:Hi Rokh,

Great tactic;

I got a stubborn mage who refuses to try stuff if it's not on youtube or a "proved concept" by elite guilds.

Thanks!

Find a video of someone being gkicked and tell him that's a proven concept.
Belloc

Postby bvennik » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:49 am

Belloc wrote:
bvennik wrote:Hi Rokh,

Great tactic;

Thanks!

Find a video of someone being gkicked and tell him that's a proven concept.

Lol :D

I'll just lookup Rokh in armory for guild. Will manage to find some footage if there is any.
ty
bvennik

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)