Remove Advertisements

[10] Shannox

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Shannox

Postby frontallobe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:47 am

Dane wrote:Ok, didn't see this already posted...but it's late, and I'm sleepy, so I just skimmed.

We JUST had our progression kill tonight. People've been fuckin' slackers making it to raids lately, and we were having NO luck (or skill) with traps. Here's what we did instead, and it worked perfectly.

1) Tank Rip and Shannon (guild pet name for him...makes him less scary, right? :D ) as far apart as you can without Separation Anxiety.
2) Wait for the spear throw circle to appear.
3) Start kiting Rip to Shan.
4) Riplimb then has to run back to the spear, THEN to the boss.

It was simple, locations of traps didn't matter, and it didn't once fail.

I haven't looked into heroic, so maybe this is a bad habit to get into, but if anyone is having any problems, this is a very easy way to reliably drop your stacks.

My only suggestion is to kite him paralleled to the boss instead of perpendicular. (strafe right or left) because there are less traps and you dont have the dog biting your ass. In essence make an "L" path instead.. same distance.. less danger.
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby econ21 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:21 pm

Can anyone give me some tips on how to survive the last stage of this fight as the Shannox tank? Last night my guild went in there for serious progression and got frustratingly close repeatedly. We were getting to 1%, 2%, 3% health of the boss on various attempts and then I died.

A few questions:

(1) How much should I be moving? A raid member told me to constantly kite him, 2 steps move, 1 step stop. But looking at Vexryn's video, it looks like the Shannox tank was almost stationary throughout the final phase, except perhaps to move a fraction when mama rupture was cast. How should you handle mama rupture? I gather it will do AOE damage and then do extra if you are on one of the red dots. Does one of the dots spawn under your feet? Is there any point moving further away (e.g. trying to get out of the whole area of affect)? From recount, once or twice, I died to a big 170k magma rupture hit - I guess I failed to get off a red dot in time. Othertimes, I had about a 50k magma rupture hit prior to death and occaisionally mama rupture did not feature in the seconds leading to my death.

(2) Healers were reporting problems getting me in range and staying outside of the area of affect of the mama rupture. This may be because I was trying to kite the boss too much. Is there otherwise an issue there? I guess they do need to be outside of the red dotted circle/spiral area of the mama rupture?

(3) My gear level is around 367. I was using two mastery trinkets to get block capped. Would I be better swopping one (4% block) for 10 buffed hitpoints? (I think that would have put me on 189k health with one stamina trinkets). It's a choice between the TB mastery/strength one and scales of life (the mirror being the trinket I would use regardless).

(4) How important is it to have reset your stacks of Jagged Tear before Riplimb dies? We reset stacks well over the course of the fight, but sometimes when Riplimb died I felt I had too many stacks (6-9).

(5) Any other tips? The healers were often reporting they were spamming me with heals but it was not enough to keep me up.

In case it is relevant, we used the strategy: kill Rageface, get Shannox to 40% (there was some debate about 35% being better), kill Riplimb strategy. Our dps is probably at the lower end of the fight requirement as some people are still gearing etc (people were pulling a range from 11k to 15k dps).
econ21

Postby Arianne » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:16 pm

There's no reason to kite him in phase 3. Stay put. Just strafe to get out of the Magma Rupture. When he gets to 10% or so try to make sure you have CDs up all the time (remember to use external CDs if you have any). You need to be doing Riplimb differently if you guys are getting more than 3-4 stacks of Jagged Tear - generally this involves the tank on Shannox kiting away from Riplimb at a 45 degree angle until Jagged Tear wears off. In order to do any further analysis you'd need to post logs.
Arianne

Postby Hrobertgar » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:36 am

(4) How important is it to have reset your stacks of Jagged Tear before Riplimb dies? We reset stacks well over the course of the fight, but sometimes when Riplimb died I felt I had too many stacks (6-9).

I think it is almost critical to reset stacks upon entering ph2. you should be watching Riplimb's health bar as it gets low (10%-15%) and state that you need to reset stacks prior to him giong down. Then the other tank can try to trap him, you can kite a little whatever. If you ahve more than a couple stacks, you should tell the dps to hold off and pick their noses till you get them reset. Entering ph2 with high stacks is definitely bad.

(1) How much should I be moving?

I agree with Arianne, when I tank him or even when I'm healing ph2 movement should be only to get out of fire or away from trap central. Even ph1 movement should be only to evade trap central or kite riplimb to help reset stacks.

(2) Healers were reporting problems getting me in range and staying outside of the area of affect of the mama rupture. This may be because I was trying to kite the boss too much. Is there otherwise an issue there? I guess they do need to be outside of the red dotted circle/spiral area of the mama rupture?

For Ph1 the solution is for riplimb tank to hold him at 40 yards away from eveyone else until spear is thrown. When I tank heal the fight I stay on the boss (Seal of Insight) with the MT the entire time. For ph2, the healers can just move a couple yards to not stand on a little flame and dmg is way down. Aura Mastery and other cooldowns can be used here. EVERYONE in the raid should try to move off of any flames during rupture, that is not the healer's responibility to heal excessive avoidable damage.

(3) My gear level is around 367. I was using two mastery trinkets to get block capped. Would I be better swopping one (4% block) for 10 buffed hitpoints? (I think that would have put me on 189k health with one stamina trinkets). It's a choice between the TB mastery/strength one and scales of life (the mirror being the trinket I would use regardless).

My tank did this at like 361 gear level the first couple times with the TB trinket and the worm. So either your two Mastery trinkets or 1 stam is fine. If you can enter ph2 with a refreshed (or only 1-2) stacks of tear, your damage taken will go WAAYY down, and the healers will stop moaning about it.

My guild groups usually get Shannox to about 35% then burn Riplimb, although last night people were slow getting off him, and the tank had to resort to white damage only till Riplimb was down to minmize the risk of an early push. Also, total dps will depend on if you are 2 or 3 healing it. 2 heals would be more tolerant of carrying lower dps members, but evenso, your low wipe %s suggest that if you fix the jagged tear reset issue going in to ph2 (no more than 2, preferably 0), you should reliably get a kill.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby econ21 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Thanks for the advice - one other thing I've read is to bubble off the stacks from the fire debuff at the end after two magma ruptures. (I know the tears can't be bubbled off). Do others do this? Is it safe (with /cancelaura) given that you cannpot taunt Shannox?
econ21

Previous

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)