Tanking Curator

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking Curator

Postby Athon » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:57 am

I and my guildies tried to down Curator two days ago. We got him down to 50%. It looks like we need more DPS. I'm just wondering about my role... Since most of people are shooting flares and I will be far ahead in Curator's threat list, should I use other buffs instead of Blessing of Salvation for DPS people?

I also noticed that I was constantly running out of mana, which hasn't happened to me in Karazhan boss fights before (not much experience yet). I had to use Rank 1 Consecration. Is this typical before the enrage phase? One of our healers was a tree druid, so he was using heal over time spells. I've heard they don't restore mana. Is that true?
Athon

Postby Ubung » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:59 am

Curator is one of those DPS heavy fights that would benefit from not using BOSalv. If you can keep ahead on aggro in this situation then def go for it. I have some DPS heavy guys who dont always watch their aggro so I cant do that. Try it once, if people are over aggroing you then back to BoSalv.

Curator also hits like a girl until he enrages. Mana issues can be a problem so have a few pots ready. Also HOTS do give mana back but its not much so sometimes maybe lay off HS for a bit so you get a big heal. Again this is if your healer is comfortable healing you (should be as his hits are soft).
nerf scissors, buff paper, rock is fine!

Ubung

Postby Caelia » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:09 am

Ubung wrote:Curator is one of those DPS heavy fights that would benefit from not using BOSalv. If you can keep ahead on aggro in this situation then def go for it. I have some DPS heavy guys who dont always watch their aggro so I cant do that. Try it once, if people are over aggroing you then back to BoSalv.

Curator also hits like a girl until he enrages. Mana issues can be a problem so have a few pots ready. Also HOTS do give mana back but its not much so sometimes maybe lay off HS for a bit so you get a big heal. Again this is if your healer is comfortable healing you (should be as his hits are soft).
you get the same mana back from hots as you do a big heal because you get back 12% mana of the amount healed or w/e the percent is. Doesnt matter if its from a HOT or a big heal, you just notice the giant gain from the big heals more than the small steady continuous steam from the HoTs. I find what works best for me since i can gain a giant threat lead between evocates on this guy is judge seal of wisdom and SoR wack away at the guy, then 10 seconds before evocate i judge sotc. then once he begins to evocate i toss my shield, i do max rank consc, judge and go all out with all i got (wings if they are up) this pretty much burns almost all my mana. Then once its over i rejudge wisdom and just go back to normal righteousness getting my mana back to almost full usually from auto attack.
In Progress: Fury Warrior: Tailwhip
All Retired: Holy Priest:Appletons | DK Blood Tank: Dreadborne | Prot Paladin: Welsh
Caelia

Postby Invisusira » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:12 am

Yes, buff something other than Salv.

There's really no reason to be going OOM, you can keep wisdom up on Curator the whole time and basically just autoattack/concecrate. Aggro on the curator fight is practically a non-issue.

HoTs restore mana exactally like any other healing effect.
Invisusira

Postby Ubung » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:46 am

When I said HOTS dont give much mana I didnt mean a different percentage. I meant cus they are lots of small heals you dont get much from each heal :D.
nerf scissors, buff paper, rock is fine!

Ubung

Postby mustangofold » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:14 pm

Depends on what your DPS people are doing.
In my guild we have the hunter(s) misderect onto the MT and Hate-bolt tank when Curator goes blue first time.
That keeps us high enough on the threat meter so that I can give the melee +attk and the ranged +mana, +attk, or kings if they want.
mustangofold

Postby Matthias » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:36 pm

If your healer is a priest using PW:S, i've found that I go OOM tons faster when they spam it.
Matthias

Postby guillex » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:48 pm

Matthias wrote:If your healer is a priest using PW:S, i've found that I go OOM tons faster when they spam it.

I usually yell at a priest using pws on me. That's all I have to contribute to this convo.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Antharas » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:23 am

for future reference athon, you dont really need salvation on most of the bosses. I have like 220 spell dam or something usually and never have any threat issues in kara. only boss i use salv on is Maiden because its a little bit harder to pull ahead of high dps mages w/o exor. but for Attune, Moroes, Curator, Shade and illhoof at least you dont really need Salv (you might need it for opera).

as long as you have the MP to spam conc you should be good on threat. if your still having issues, try opening with your wings for some extra threat off the bat
Antharas

Postby Dynaheir » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:56 pm

Guillex wrote:
Matthias wrote:If your healer is a priest using PW:S, i've found that I go OOM tons faster when they spam it.

I usually yell at a priest using pws on me. That's all I have to contribute to this convo.
Rightclick ftw.
Dynaheir

Postby Athon » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:05 am

Ok, we got Curator down. This time I didn't really run out of mana. I guess I wasn't spamming max rank Consecration as much as before.

However, I died when Curator was in enraged phase. This happened when Curator had less than 10% health left, so the raid got him down anyway.

I won King's defender in Chess event. I was wondering when to use it, but maybe it would be a good idea to switch to it when Curator gets enraged?
Athon

Postby Zahir » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:14 pm

like most non spell dmg weaponsL King's Defender/The Sun Eater(i recommend getting this weapon with +20 agi), usually get a good threat lead, then switch to a non-spell dmg weapon for extra mitigation/avoidance. I only switch to my Sun Eater during phase 2 prince.

On fights like curator, switch after the first evocate, you should have enough threat to hold him without a spell dmg weapon. If you don't want to, switch when he enrages.
Zahir

Postby Brawlking » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:46 am

Hmm...I dont use Consecrate on Curator, eats too much mana for my tastes. Two ways I get mana back is judging Wisdom on the boss, and using Superior Mana Oil. Other than that my Spiritual Attunement keeps my mana up through heals.
Why is a gun better than a woman? You can put a silencer on a gun...
Brawlking

Postby Everlight » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:36 pm

I just use mana potions :)
Everlight

Postby elsydeon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:01 pm

i judge wis on curator as it gives me mana and helps the dps with theirs as well

omen ends up like this:

elsydeon ===== 300k ===========================
#2 ===== 60k =====
etc.

so threat isnt much of an issue, once you get about a 50k lead, stop consecration, keep HS up to keep yourself from getting crushed and to slap some extra threat on curator; if somehow your raid catches up, you can consecrate again
to all impatient mages, locks, and hunters: you pull it, you tank it
elsydeon

Next

Return to Karazhan