Guild Wars 2

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Guild Wars 2

Postby Freyas » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:29 am

Anybody been keeping an eye on this game? There's going to be a playable demo at a convention in Germany next week, and at PAX.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/media/vide ... -manifesto
http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto
Freyas

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Pallywhackr » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:57 am

I haven't been following it religiously, but I check in every now and than. Looks like a really good sequel!

I like the concept of having the individual class' abilities having synergy. As mentioned on their site, shooting an arrow through an Elementalist's wall of fire will cause the arrow to do fire damage.
Pallywhackr

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:14 am

Pallywhackr wrote:I haven't been following it religiously, but I check in every now and than. Looks like a really good sequel!

I like the concept of having the individual class' abilities having synergy. As mentioned on their site, shooting an arrow through an Elementalist's wall of fire will cause the arrow to do fire damage.

This is all my dad ever talks about....

We started gaming online together back in 2000 when I was a teen with Diablo II and then we moved up to GW over the years...

He still plays it religously and can't wait for this to come out.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Eltiana » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:20 pm

Realize this is a necro, but since this thread was created, a lot of new info has come out, and seeing as it's one of the two biggest MMOs coming out in the near future along with SWTOR(for which there is a thread on the front page here)I figured I'd give this thread a bump.

So anyone here still keeping up with GW2? While it is yet another fantasy MMO(Unlike its predecessor, GW2 will have a persistent world), it definitely looks like Arenanet is trying some innovative things, and not just be another WoW clone and I for one am definitely looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.
Eltiana

Postby Gracerath » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:12 pm

I'm pretty excited for the game. I've been following it a lot lately. I have played a good amount of the the original Guild Wars. I've beat all the expansions and have earned a small chunk of goodies for GW2 from my hall of monuments. (Vanity items, pets, etc)

The Sylvari are pretty awesome. I think the art direction in the game is one of the better I've seen. The home areas for each race really are feasts for the eyes. The Black Citadel for the Charr is particularly amazing.

I have loved the idea of public quests since WAR, but they've all fallen flat. I have high hopes for GW2 that it can do it right, and from the videos I've watched and from how some of the devs describe things, I think it will end up pretty fun.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Dazhbog » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:56 pm

Saw this posted on another forum I visit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs&feature=player_embedded

Take it with some salt, but I'll still be impressed if they pull off half of this stuff. Definitely on my watch list.
Dazhbog

Postby Eltiana » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:13 pm

Dazhbog wrote:Saw this posted on another forum I visit:

Take it with some salt, but I'll still be impressed if they pull off half of this stuff. Definitely on my watch list.

Yes, seen that video before, does a good job of highlighting some of the major selling points of the game, and it really looks like Arenanet is delivering. And that is just the major stuff, there is a lot of really cool little stuff too, I definitely have been keeping my eyes on this.
Eltiana

Postby Aerron » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:05 am

Eltiana wrote:

Yes, seen that video before, does a good job of highlighting some of the major selling points of the game, and it really looks like Arenanet is delivering. And that is just the major stuff, there is a lot of really cool little stuff too, I definitely have been keeping my eyes on this.

Worries me a bit, though. I keep seeing the "and we'll have THIS!!!" types of announcements, and it reminds me of Funcom with AoC. They had a huge list of all these crazy, new things they were gonna come with. In the end, half of them were never implemented, didn't work, or players just found them to be pretty "meh."

I'll def keep my eye on it, but it just makes somethin in the back of my brain go "wait for it ..."
Aerron

Postby Eltiana » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:50 pm

Aerron wrote:
Eltiana wrote:

Worries me a bit, though. I keep seeing the "and we'll have THIS!!!" types of announcements, and it reminds me of Funcom with AoC. They had a huge list of all these crazy, new things they were gonna come with. In the end, half of them were never implemented, didn't work, or players just found them to be pretty "meh."

I'll def keep my eye on it, but it just makes somethin in the back of my brain go "wait for it ..."
Mind you, Arenanet has a slightly better track record than Funcom but I know what you mean. Considering all the flops we've had in the genre, we can't all but help to be a little jaded when it comes to new MMOs coming out and promising the world.
Eltiana

Postby Mcduffie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:12 am

After Rift "broke the seal;" I think a lot of companies are eyeballing the chance to take over some of WoW's fallout players. This is either going to be the best of times for new MMMOs, or the worst of times.

Best of times: They see that a well-constructed MMO can draw players away. They compete with each other via the quality of their video game product.

Worst of times: They crank out MMOs as fast as possible, and the market is flush with so many choices that it's a guessing game between what's good and bad.

Time will tell.
Mcduffie

Postby Dazhbog » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:35 am

Mcduffie wrote:Worst of times: They crank out MMOs as fast as possible, and the market is flush with so many choices that it's a guessing game between what's good and bad.

But we always have Yahtzee to tell us what games we should be playing!
Dazhbog

Postby Eltiana » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:21 pm

Totalbiscuit did a 40 minute WTF(Split into two parts) of GW2 while at Gamescon of the Charr starting area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ttfOuxB ... ideo_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnVGEYGE ... ion_439561

He's also supposed to have 20 minutes worth of PVP footage that should be coming out sometime tomorrow. Despite a few errors, it's pretty good coverage of the game.
Eltiana

Postby bldavis » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:21 pm

after watching those 2 videos last night, i cant wait for this game...
i may replace wow finally...(ya right)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Eltiana » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:59 pm

bldavis wrote:after watching those 2 videos last night, i cant wait for this game...
i may replace wow finally...(ya right)

lol, yeah, shame SW:TOR is eating up the spotlight at the moment. Mind you, I have no doubts that SW:TOR Is going to be a decent game, but I think GW2 is definitely trying to deliver us a different experience.
Eltiana

Postby Santcuff » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:13 am

There is no way that I am not going to buy Guild Wars mostly because it has no monthly subscription.

That by itself makes it amazing to me
daemonym wrote:Crazy? I was crazy once...
Santcuff

Next

Return to Other Games