Dev Watercooler - Threat

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Dev Watercooler - Threat

Postby benebarba » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:07 am

lythac wrote:
Dev Watercooler - Threat wrote: Heck we could make Word of Glory the thing you’re supposed to do with Holy Power, so long as we balanced all tanks around that idea and didn’t feel it infringed too much on the DK mechanic.

This bugged me. Don't we use WoG anymore?

not as often as we used to :P

I think GC meant that instead of ShoTR/Inq, that WoG could once again become 'the thing'
benebarba

Postby Flex » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:08 am

When was the last time threat mattered across an entire raiding tier? Occasionally a tier will have a fight that requires tanks to do massive DPS or we get to a point where any more X survival stat wont make a difference so we go with threat for the lulz. But I truly don't remember a time where an entire tier's worth of content required a focus on threat as an equal to survival.
Last edited by Flex on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby sahiel » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:09 am

Pretty much the only time I use Salv atm is on the first tank switch of a fight, where I have a full stack of vengeance, soon as my co-tank taunts I can salv myself and keep wailing away without worrying i'll pull back off him, better than dropping to auto attacks in case he gets a bad string of misses straight off the bat.

Now it looks like there's barely even needs a reason to be on the bars. I'm all for the "increased interaction" and having to actively use our cooldowns, that's great and what I love most about tanking, but I still can't understand why they'd increase threat when it's almost a non-issue as is atm other than fresh tanks with geared dps in 5 mans, and for them they could simply give tanks these increases as a temp buff whilst inside.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby benebarba » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:11 am

Meloree wrote:
Torias wrote:Honestly I think rebalancing threat so that it "matters" again is beyond the scope of what's possible to do in a mid-expansion content patch, it's too game changing. Take comfort in the fact that a change like this is as close to "We dun goofed" as Blizzard are going to get.

Rebalancing threat is a significantly less complex task than redesigning 3 out of 4 tanks. This whole thing reeks of a "should be done for an expansion, not a patch" set of changes that I think has a non-zero chance of going horribly wrong.

I totally agree with this. I thought Vengence was specifically put in to be the knob they could turn (though I guess they have. But they turned it up, rather than down as I thought they would). It's not like the gear choices aren't there. It's not like they can't drop damage numbers (though folks will scream about any nerf, of course).
benebarba

Postby Arianne » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:13 am

This seems to be to try to get tanks to not quit the 5 man dungeons. Since they can't seem to get DPSers to play better in the dungeons (ie: not attack 3 different targets and not spam AoE on the pull), they're instead going to buff threat generation by a ton. Fury warriors, Frost DKs, and Ret Paladins rejoice because they have wonky threat mechanics. Tanks who still care about 5 mans rejoice. Raiders scratch their heads in confusion.

I, personally, don't see the point of making threat not matter but making us get hit and expertise in order for our defensive cooldowns to work. I guess it'd be too "hard" to make us worry about both? I could see a situation where I wanted to use a CD at the start of a fight but couldn't because I needed to use all of my abilities in the first 30s to generate threat, but that's mostly solved by having at least one CD that doesn't require anything to use other than a button push (like they are now). I guess they don't want to patch a higher level of Vengeance in for 4.3 when we're fighting Deathwing and DPS are outscaling us, but they've essentially done that by buffing the base threat modifier.

Dunno. I mostly liked having a threat set and figuring out what of my old pieces I could re-use somewhere else as I upgraded my primary mitigation set. I liked being able to choose which of those pieces I swapped in for X, Y or Z fight. I guess I'll enjoy our Ret paladin not QQ'ing at me to generate more threat in the first 30s so he can blow all his CDs at the start of the fight.

I don't want to go back to being a Word of Glory bot. Sure, it's fun to build up a shield right before taking a big hit or healing up right after the big hit to help smooth my HP, but if we're doing enough that we can't generate threat and move/interrupt/pick up adds/etc then how are we going to do that plus building WoG shields? There's a lot of levels of contradiction in their reasons for doing this.

I'm fine with the currently specified changes (though I don't need them and could really care less about them), but if they change us to have too much RNG crap (like DKs) then I'm out.
Arianne

Postby halabar » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:17 am

In some ways, if they went back to some of the core mechanics, it would make more sense, where threat mattered, but without all the new-fangled complicated mechanics.

I think they are adding so much more of the "active" abilities, that they then need to dumb-down some of the core abilities in order to have the average player keep up.

I liked it back in the day when my ability as tank was much more in preparation in gearing, etc, and then being able to stand and take it with a basic rotation, rather than having tanking being like an xbox game. Perhaps that's too "booring" these days... whatever. Having the raid die because I'm too squishy should be my fault, and is something I can work on. Having the raid die because I'm a millisecond late on an interrupt because I was waiting for a third holypower or because of a half-second of lag is not fun.

Dumbing down core mechanics so they can add even more "active" talents (read buttons to push) is not fun.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby culhag » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:24 am

Also re: "Threat stats aren’t fun" (from the blog post)

Threat stats ARE fun ! I hate it when I miss a CS or a ShoR !
They're just useless for beating the current encounters.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:24 am

Flex wrote:When was the last time threat mattered across an entire raiding tier, let's say 80% of the fights in the given tier didn't favor stacking towards one end? Occasionally a tier will have a fight that requires tanks to do massive DPS or we get to a point where any more X survival stat wont make a difference so we go with threat for the lulz. But I truly don't remember a time where an entire tier's worth of content required a focus on threat as an equal to survival.

Sunwell. You could make the argument that in WotLK tanks at least had to be pushing a button once in a while to hold threat, especially in ICC. I know there was no "great tank threat crisis", but you could lose threat if you didn't run your rotation.

Cataclysm, thus far, threat has been a nonfactor.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby benebarba » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:30 am

halabar wrote: Having the raid die because I'm a millisecond late on an interrupt because I was waiting for a third holypower or because of a half-second of lag is not fun.

Since this can happen even now, I think that is more a fundamental problem than tank gearing. It's the lag-unfriendly mechanics that make that happen... and my guild had a couple players stop doing stuff other than questing/alt leveling because they found their connection/computer not stable/fast enough for some encounters. I can't imagine what some fights are like for folks who are on some of the servers that commonly report lag times of a 1/4 second or more.

But some of those mechanics make the game fun and interesting rather than all glorified tank and spank. So I don't think they all need to go, indeed many I'd prefer if they stayed. I like having to actually move a boss occasionally, or gather some adds, or stay out of the bad. Thankfully Vengence allows me to do this without immediately losing aggro to the DPS who're better geared than me and just happened to get a crit streak.
benebarba

Postby Flex » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:34 am

Meloree wrote:Sunwell. You could make the argument that in WotLK tanks at least had to be pushing a button once in a while to hold threat, especially in ICC. I know there was no "great tank threat crisis", but you could lose threat if you didn't run your rotation.

Cataclysm, thus far, threat has been a nonfactor.

I could have sworn most of the threat concerns in WotLK fell into the "more survival wont help" area.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby bldavis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:36 am

honestly, i was fine with threat
the problem isnt tanks and out threat

it is dps and being too dam trigger happy

i say lower vengence, make us tanks that know how to tank actually work for threat, and make dps die if they pull threat (or at least use defensive coodowns)
you want more interesting gameplay? there you go

what is the point of giving us MORE vengence?
in almost every fight i tank, i have to worry about the first 2 GCDS and then the first tank swap if there is one
other then that, it is more faceroll than wrath was

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:37 am

bldavis wrote:what is the point of giving us MORE vengence?

They aren't giving more vengeance, just less dumbly implemented.
Flex

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:38 am

In a way, part of what GC's saying is that they've come to feel they don't want to build the game around the threat mechanic - which is what they would be doing if they tried to make threat matter again. Damage dealers need threat management abilities, tanks need to do high damage while surviving, and the game UI needs to communicate threat levels effectively - a number of interacting mechanics would need to be tweaked together.

If they remove threat, then they remove a couple of things for dpsers and work on tank gameplay. It's easier for them, and makes the game a little simpler for people to pick up.

Whether it's a good thing or not is a more complicated question.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby halabar » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:39 am

benebarba wrote:
halabar wrote: Having the raid die because I'm a millisecond late on an interrupt because I was waiting for a third holypower or because of a half-second of lag is not fun.

Since this can happen even now, I think that is more a fundamental problem than tank gearing. It's the lag-unfriendly mechanics that make that happen...

... and the direction of making the game "more interesting" by giving more buttons to push and things that have to be timed perfectly. And people wonder why average RFD tanks suck so bad. They are trying to compete with "active" games. I think that's a mistake to some degree. Having a lock need to do that to maximize dps is one thing, to require a tank to do it in order to survive is dumb.

halabar

Postby halabar » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:41 am

KysenMurrin wrote:In a way, part of what GC's saying is that they've come to feel they don't want to build the game around the threat mechanic

What are they building around then?...

halabar

PreviousNext

Return to General