Postby Shoju » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:19 am

Sabindeus wrote:WILD SPECULATION

Is more fun than MILD SPECULATION
Shoju

Re: Void Storage and Transmogrifier's

Postby halabar » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:19 am

How else do we get our hopes dashed?..
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:19 am

halabar wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:Another issue with the idea of cosmetic changes to gear: Recognisability.

They're comitted to having recognisable silhouettes for races. Another part of that is having classes recognisable by their gear sets. In PvP especially, it's often pretty easy to recognise a character's class from the way they look. Being able to tell the gear level matters, too - there are noticable differences in appearance between players at varying gear levels in both PvP and PvE.

Does Blizzard want people to have the ability to totally hide themselves inside armor that looks nothing like what they're actually wearing?

So it only works on PVE gear?.. simple solution.

He said in PVP especially, not just in PVP. It's also important for your priest to be able to pick out the tank or hunter or mage by their appearance in a sea of characters on your screen.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby halabar » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:21 am

Sabindeus wrote:
halabar wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:Another issue with the idea of cosmetic changes to gear: Recognisability.

They're comitted to having recognisable silhouettes for races. Another part of that is having classes recognisable by their gear sets. In PvP especially, it's often pretty easy to recognise a character's class from the way they look. Being able to tell the gear level matters, too - there are noticable differences in appearance between players at varying gear levels in both PvP and PvE.

Does Blizzard want people to have the ability to totally hide themselves inside armor that looks nothing like what they're actually wearing?

He said in PVP especially, not just in PVP. It's also important for your priest to be able to pick out the tank or hunter or mage by their appearance in a sea of characters on your screen.

I thought they just started at Grid?.... And if I reforge to T4 or T9 hunter gear, he should be able to pick me out anyway.. I won't blend into the lava anymore.. :D

halabar

Postby halabar » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 am

Shoju wrote:

Is more fun than MILD SPECULATION

and certainly more fun than careful measured consideration....

halabar

Postby Hrobertgar » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:25 am

I think most healers use a mod or raid frames or something rather than actually trying to click on character models.

I think destruction of the source is ok, as long as you can then use that modified object to re-transfer the item model to a new upgrade without re-farming the source model. Obviously this would still tend to limit the number of people modifying Legendary items due to the cost and expense but you might get some people doing it. If you have to have the original source item for the model transfer then I think some sort of re-forging or reagent cost is better to limit how many times people need to farm desireable items.

And I still think some of the models from AQ40 would get a lot of play if you could Transmogrify item models this way.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby halabar » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:27 am

Assuming it is gear-changing, this may very well be a response to the drop-off in accounts. What better way to keep people playing that let them change gear AND farm endlessly for the right look?...

halabar

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:53 am

Saying "they just stare at Grid' is not a valid reason to change Blizzard's stand on the matter.

And I agree with this too, when healing 5 mans I often look away from my bars to see where people are standing and rely on general model shape to associate the person I'm looking at in the world frame with the corresponding box in X-Perl.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Shoju » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:04 am

Sabindeus wrote:
halabar wrote:

So, how do you tell the arms warrior from blood dk on your screen?
Shoju

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:06 am

The warrior is the brown box and the dk is the red box?

Edit: I'm jumping into this conversation late, but I don't know a single healer who relies on character visuals in order to figure out what to heal. You'll look up from Grid to check positioning, but you're not to rely on constantly healing the tank from selecting the person in a sea of people in a battleground or on a raid boss.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:38 am

Nikachelle wrote:The warrior is the brown box and the dk is the red box?

Edit: I'm jumping into this conversation late, but I don't know a single healer who relies on character visuals in order to figure out what to heal. You'll look up from Grid to check positioning, but you're not to rely on constantly healing the tank from selecting the person in a sea of people in a battleground or on a raid boss.

Well just because you don't know them doesn't mean they don't exist, nor does it means Blizzard necessarily cares more about Grid than those people.
Sabindeus

Postby Flex » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:40 am

Sagara wrote:It might not need to be a transormation of the outfit, maybe just a recolor?

But then, why work on a transmi... transmofri... change-stuff NPC and not a "mere" dye crafter?

Hm...

Recoloring probably wouldn't work with the current art system, each texture is a unique art file so to work on recoloring would require redoing all of the existing art to add in "dye" areas. So model swapping would be easiest in terms of implementation. Gear stat ID of X Model ID of Y.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Kerriodos » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:41 am

Still pretty important for a priest to be able to check a certain character's positioning quickly and efficiently, since Life Grip has a facing requirement, which is what I assumed Sabin was referring to.
Kerriodos

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:43 am

Sabindeus wrote:

Well just because you don't know them doesn't mean they don't exist, nor does it means Blizzard necessarily cares more about Grid than those people.

Do you know of anyone who heals by looking at character visuals?

For the record, I'm not in favour of being able to change the colour or appearance of my gear.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:49 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:

Do you know of anyone who heals by looking at character visuals?

For the record, I'm not in favour of being able to change the colour or appearance of my gear.

As I said in my previous post, I do to see where people are in relation to me for heal ranges.

Also Nethaera, who I was paraphrasing in an earlier post.
Sabindeus

PreviousNext

Return to General