Remove Advertisements

Math Help

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Math Help

Postby Jeremoot » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:37 pm

Say I have a scalar field representing n^3 points in space. If for a moment, you imagine the scalar field as a solid cube. To an onlooker, no matter where they are in space, only a portion of the points will be visible (or the closest to the onlooker in depth).

To illustrate my point: the green faces, as well as the cross-hatched front face are visible to the observer. The red faces, as well as any point within the inside of the cube are not. As you rotate around the cube, the visible portion of each dimension will change. If you were to move the observer a complete 90 degrees around the cube, the amount of visible points in the x and y dimensions would flip. Knowing the position in space of both the observer and each scalar in the field, how can I flatten a 3 dimensional scalar field into a 2 dimensional square-- eliminating depth?
Jeremoot

Re: Math Help

Postby masterpoobaa » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:07 pm

Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeck! Where are you?!?
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Astronomic » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:23 am

If you just made the cube so that the observe was looking straight at 1 face, would it not appear as if it were a square?
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby Jeremoot » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:15 am

Astronomic wrote:If you just made the cube so that the observe was looking straight at 1 face, would it not appear as if it were a square?

Yes, but if the observer is not looking directly at one face (e.g., looking at the corner of the cube), they will see portions of the other faces.
Jeremoot

Postby Astronomic » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:44 am

But the qeustion was: Knowing the position in space of both the observer and each scalar in the field, how can I flatten a 3 dimensional scalar field into a 2 dimensional square-- eliminating depth? If I know where my observer is Then I turn the cube so he is facing one face... Maybe thats my relativity side comming out :P
Astronomic

Postby Worldie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:22 am

The observer has to be perpendicular to the center of a face.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Jeremoot » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:41 am

While that would work, haha, I'll clarify that the cube is a theoretical representation of the scalar field. We can't pick up the cube and turn it to face our observer (or vice versa for that matter :P ).

The problem lies in that depending on which of the 6 sides of the cube the observer is looking at, the depth could be in any 3 of the dimensions. Furthermore, if the observer is not perpendicular to the center of any face, they will see all 3 dimensions but only a portion of each.

If I'm still not making any sense, close one eye and hold your hand so that the palm is facing you. As you rotate your hand clockwise (or counter-clockwise if you're left-handed), the visible portion of the knife edge will become larger, while the visible portion in the other dimension becomes smaller.
Jeremoot

Postby Worldie » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:02 am

You want to only end up seeing two faces on the sides with a line in the middle?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Torias » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:04 am

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. Are you looking for the relationship between the dimensions based on cube position and orientation, relative to the observer?
Torias

Postby Jeremoot » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:27 am

Torias wrote:I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. Are you looking for the relationship between the dimensions based on cube position and orientation, relative to the observer?

Yes. I want to eliminate the depth of the field based on the relationship between the cube and the observer. I'm sorry if I'm not being very clear. Here's another MS Paint diagram.

Jeremoot

Postby Astronomic » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Jeremoot wrote: Knowing the position in space of both the observer and each scalar in the field, how can I flatten a 3 dimensional scalar field into a 2 dimensional square-- eliminating depth?

So you cant move the square cube thing and you cant move the observer.......and you want to remove depth....and you cant use sledgehammers.....im confused.
Astronomic

Postby halabar » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Assuming the observer can't move, the only way would be to eliminate two of the dimensions... but if you can't eliminate the dimensions, I'm confused as well. If you have a scalar field that is a collection of points, the only other way would be to change the representation. A sphere perhaps?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Jeremoot » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:54 pm

halabar wrote:Assuming the observer can't move, the only way would be to eliminate two of the dimensions... but if you can't eliminate the dimensions, I'm confused as well. If you have a scalar field that is a collection of points, the only other way would be to change the representation. A sphere perhaps?

Ah! I didn't mean to be this confusing! The observer can move, but we can't decide where they are in space to solve the problem as Astronomic was hinting at.

The answer needs to be a function of the position of both the observer and the collection of points. You need to be able to solve it wherever they are in space at any given time.
Jeremoot

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:09 pm

Yes. I want to eliminate the depth of the field based on the relationship between the cube and the observer. I'm sorry if I'm not being very clear. Here's another MS Paint diagram.

It sounds like you are transforming your observer from a person with two eyes who can see depth into a cyclops who cannot. Figure c is the correct answer, had trouble getting the Paint item to copy.

As for some sort of matrix or functional transormation that will convert a cube into figure c, its been a very long time since I've tankgled with that tpye of math.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Astronomic » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Usually in problems like this dont even think of the observer as human. Its just a single point that can "see".
Astronomic

Next

Return to General