I need epic help with Rhyolith :(

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

I need epic help with Rhyolith :(

Postby BlackNet » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:25 am

First off my armory link.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Arygos/blacknet/advanced

I am having the worst time with my raid group on 10m norm Rhyolith, all total we have around 53 wipes on him and no progress being made.

First set of adds comes up they get knocked down good and proper, by this I mean they are dead instantly. few seconds pause then the next set comes up, they are not dispatched as quickly, then the big boy spawns and I pick him up, now I have the big boy and half the little ones on me, then the 2nd set of little ones spawn away from me and we have 3 groups of adds up.

So far I have yet to see the big guy go down good and proper outside the first cycle, by this I mean before the next set spawns. I am left to dps the big boy down myself and I am doing more damage to the adds than the ranged dps is doing which I find insulting.

One of the raid members claims that paladins have no aoe taunts and therefore cant single tank this boss and insist we use 2 tanks, I was told we only have 1 taunt and it's ok to go all out on the add when it's not in melee range after I taunt it, then I get blamed for not being able to hold aggro when I don't have a chance to land 1 melee attack.

Another issues we are having is damage done. I am starting to think there is some type of targeting issue going on here.

Here is a link to the world of logs report for the attempt last night.
damage to fragmentshttp://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-1skn7vrvsj5lwhhz/analyze/dd/source/?s=14834&e=15026&target=420
damage to sparkshttp://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-1skn7vrvsj5lwhhz/analyze/dd/source/?s=14834&e=15026&target=421

left foothttp://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-1skn7vrvsj5lwhhz/analyze/dd/source/?s=14834&e=15026&target=417
and right foothttp://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-1skn7vrvsj5lwhhz/analyze/dd/source/?s=14834&e=15026&target=416

One other thing that is a big problem is grouping. When the big boy is up I have party members all around me so if I move in any direction I will run the big guy 'thru the raid' and am told I should plant, which I do, but then I am unable to pick up the fragments as they are out of range when they come up and overlap.

In our best attempt we have gotten all the armor off and health around 50%.

If it was up to me I would be doing what the tank in this vid is doing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLW-ikT5tXc and rounding up what does come up even if it means moving the spark.

I was also told the aoe range of the spark is not as big as the visual effects are can anyone confirm this?
Uncomfortable truth : We're all pugs.
BlackNet

Re: I need epic help with Rhyolith :(

Postby Lieris » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:58 am

Your fellow raid member is wrong, paladins are excellent tanks for this: I solo tank it on heroic every week. AOE taunt? Righteous Defence is way better.

Fragments shouldn't spawn on anyone on the legs so have your entire raid position themselves within 30 yards of you with a designated spot for spark tanking that people know to stay away from. That way fragments will only spawn close to you and pickup is easy, even with a Spark on you. Rhyolith's platform is huge but anyone not driving should only be using a fraction of it. All of your ranged dps should be prioritising killing the fragments and the sparks.

Here's a fairly messy first kill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4kStUVDHTo

I am marked with a diamond. I need to do very little movement.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Herrbjorn » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:12 am

You can certainly single tank this encounter, though looking at your composition, I see a simple change to make your lives easier. Move the Frost from legs to fragments, and have him throw on Blood Presence and tank with Howling Blast/D&D. Switch the mage to help legs, and dps the spark when it is out. The hunter and druid can take on the spark, letting the DK finish any remaining Fragments. If you are still having issues, have your dps rotate CDs on different waves of adds. You can throw on single-target glyphs, like AS, Judge, SotR, and do significantly more damage on the spark.
Herrbjorn

Postby BlackNet » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:04 pm

Update:

I am told we need THREE dps to drive him.

so that's 3 healers, 3 drivers. that's 4 left to do add's and most of their focus is on the fragments.
BlackNet

Postby Epimer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:43 pm

We only have two ranged on the adds. We've never needed more than that. Tank DPS to them is non-trivial.
Epimer

Postby Jeremoot » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:37 pm

The adds should be dead before the next set spawns, always. If not you need to instruct your DPS to focus the adds before switching to Rhyolith.
Jeremoot

Postby Sundance » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:41 am

My recommended setup(for Heroic aswell):
1 Tank
2 Healers
7 DPS(favoring ranged) - 2 Melee and 5 ranged is a sweet spot

* Make sure the healers and ranged DPS group up in the middle(put a world marker to make it simple)
* Have your Warrior as the Driver if you trust him. Put the mage and DK to help the Driver. The rest of the DPS nuke adds.
* Any time a Spark is up the Mage switches and nukes down the Spark. Have him go Arcane for increased burst.
* Any time you have a Spark and Fragments up at the same time the Frost DK go Blood Presence and pickup Fragments(Note: This should never happen, you're supposed to nuke the living hell out of that Spark.)
* Your Boomkin(s) should MultiDoT the legs.
* Aim to push into phase 2(Leg health at 25%) before the 5 minute mark.

Advanced: In the scenario that no adds are up you put all DPS to assist the Driver. Make sure they listen to the Driver, his/her word is law.

I see 3 scenarios:
1. Spark up:
DK and Warrior on Legs
All ranged on the Spark

2. Fragments up
DK, Warrior and Mage on Legs
The rest of the DPS nuke Fragments

3. No adds up
Everybody on the legs but be careful to not fuck up driving.

The 3 above points make it easy for your crew to know what to do. All you need to do is call:
"Spark up", "Spark dead", "Fragments spawned", "Fragments dead"
Then everyone will know what do and the rest of the TS/VEnt/Mumble communication can be used to properly drive. "Left", "Forward", "Right"

Why 2 heal you might say?
Well the more DPS you have the less healing you need. The Spark increases damage overtime and it's dangerous to leave the Fragments up for too long. Also Phase 2 is a lot easier with 2 healers, since you get a much shorter phase 2.

Your philosophy should be:
Keep all adds dead, as soon as possible. Then casually DPS legs, while not screwing up driving.

Here are our latest Rhyolith kill:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/vsy3 ... 601&e=2916
It's in Heroic but it's all the same.
Heímdall of <Helios> @ Argent Dawn - EU
Sundance

Postby BlackNet » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:00 pm

OK thanks for the help and I currently have the support of at least 6 raid members (counting myself) that I have mentioned this change up to and we will most certainly be using this on monday.
BlackNet

Postby Calleana » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:09 pm

We found using two tanks quite helpful for controlling the fight. One tank does the sparks away from the raid group. Healers and ranged group up near a marker and fragments are tanked near that.

Three DPS works fine for steering and two ranged on adds. We found the adds overlapped a bit two much for it to be safe for me to tank both, spark up when fragments spawn led to a few problems.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby BlackNet » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:09 pm

The aoe threat line was because they are using misdirect to me on the fragments and then rip aggro off me, most of the time the fragment are not even in melee range of me and they think that MD/tricks/etc can and will hold all aggro on me for the full duration of the buff (which it does not, am trying to find the patch notes that addressed this issue).

In truth if the grouped 15-20 yards from me tops and stayed there everything would flow to me exactly like the adds do on the LK raid. This does not work with party members nuking the hell out of them outside my target range and/or outside melee range where I am unable to even pick them up the first time or attack them.
BlackNet

Postby Koatanga » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:43 am

We use one tank and 3 healers. The thing that made the fight easy for us was swapping all DPS to the boss before he went below 25%, so that all DPS could be in position and getting dots and debuffs up. The last adds just despawn anyway, so DPS on them is wasted.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Sundance » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:32 am

Koatanga wrote:We use one tank and 3 healers. The thing that made the fight easy for us was swapping all DPS to the boss before he went below 25%, so that all DPS could be in position and getting dots and debuffs up. The last adds just despawn anyway, so DPS on them is wasted.

Aye, after the third spark we kill 2 waves of fragments. Then we pop Heroism and nuke the legs down while the tank takes the spark.
Heímdall of <Helios> @ Argent Dawn - EU
Sundance

Postby Andover » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:13 am

BlackNet,

If you have a Spark up and DPS are pulling fragments off you while the spark is up they are NOT doing their job. That spark should be dead before the next set of Fragments come up (or very shortly after). When you get a set of Fragments just tank them on the ranged group incase you get a 2nd set of Fragments.

The biggest thing to remember is that if your AoE DPS is good you have a few seconds to finish off a Spark before you switch to Fragments. The AoE should be able to count to 7 and then switch to Fragments. By then you should be able to get them onto you and with a quick HoR and a Holy Wrath you should about have them locked in on you.

Our Setup:
1 Tank (Paladin)
3 Healers
6 DPS (2 Melee - Warriors) One regular DPS one is the other tank we use in his offspec

We put the two melee DPS on the legs and let them drive Rhyolith. Only if they need a hard turn do they call out for extra DPS support. At that point we have an Arcane Mage and a Hunter assist for a quick turn on the boss. Our Shadow Priest and Warlock can easily dispatch any of the fragments that are left up at any point. As the Spark approaches 50% health all 4 Ranged DPS focus solely on the Spark and it's health is just destroyed on the last half. I think the last 3 weeks we've killed this only one time did we ever have a Spark up while Fragments spawned and that's only because we needed a hard turn to avoid a wipe. At that point I used a Tank CD and our Pally healer hit Wings and kept me up until we secured Rhyolith. Then all DPS took care of the Spark and 6 Fragments that I had on me. After that it was relatively easy. Biggest thing for this fight is having communication (as it is for most fights). The only people talking should be the Driver, we have our best geared Melee DPS (Fury Warrior in our case)driving, and myself (Solo Tank) calling out instructions.

To your guild who says you can't solo tank it or Pally's aren't good for this...they're dead wrong.
Andover

Postby BlackNet » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:05 am

Well we have made MAJOR results here and I would like to thank everyone for responding and being a big help. I knew what the problem was from day 1 but could never get thru to the groups as I was not sure what to do to fix it. The runs we made tonight on him were quite awesome and massive improvements. No more am I top damage done during the fight and the adds are going down very fast, so far in fact that I have time to do other things and 2 tanking this fight is a joke. I also am now thinking 3 healing this fight is a joke as well and it would probably be better 2 healing it.

The #1 problem we had tonight was lava lines of all things. I laid out the strat's mentioned and we worked with a few changes here and there, I kept hearing comments like "those people are WAY more geared than we are" but the fact reminds no matter how much gear you have lava lines will still kill you.

The #2 problem was grouping, it was going good until a volcano came up and had to move out of that. Esp for the phase change grouping is very important. In this case after the armor came off his first target was a healer after I clearly hit him, not sure but I think that was the closest target to him. Both types of adds seem to be attracted to the healers before we can target them (why I put on taunt master on this run)

Well here is the video of one of the attempts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Asy1CJC44 we have some clean up work to do but this is in the bag.

I am using elvui, bigwigs, skada and taunt master. I have 4 individual threat systems in place to see what they were complaining about. Skada and bottom right bar shows threat on current target, health bars is color coded by threat and taunt master shows red with threat. I normally dont use taunt master and I put it on for this run.
BlackNet

Postby Herrbjorn » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:22 am

Quick notes from the video:
DPS is standing around doing nothing for quite a while in between the earlier add waves. They can do help push him sooner if you pre-assign legs for them to hit in downtime.
Around the 4th spark, stop dpsing the adds and push the boss. His armor was pretty low by that point, and your dps could have pushed him much sooner. The 8 stack volcano during those later waves helped wipe you. Phase 2 with all your dps lasts no time on normal, provided you don't have 3 dead people.
Herrbjorn

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)