Remove Advertisements

[10HM] Lord Ryolith

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10HM] Lord Ryolith

Postby Bellante » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:45 pm

Finally killed him last night, and absolutely hated every second of it. Worst RNG fight in existance (those who don't think it's RNG, try running it without 1-2 druids who can tranq in p2, and no knockbacks. Screw Paragon, seriously :D).

The main problem we had was, after a 1.5% wipe, we proceeded to have no less than 10 wipes in succession which were all more or less perfectly executed on driving, not standing in molten flow, etc, and then he would spawn the next active volcano in the exact opposite end of the platform, which often meant that we would get another volcano active before we got to it, and then another before we got to that, etc. You get the picture. Yes, there is such a thing as RNG on this fight.

Anyway, enough whining, and some input:

The bloodlust timing is crucial. The info from Vikrum is solid, with one modification: Pop BL the second the third spark dies no matter what, and nuke like crazy monkeys on crack at 3AM saturday night. If you're "doing it right", you should have him at very low armor (depending on how many obsidians he ate, I'd say 20-40% armor), and you cannot afford to wait any longer, basically.

If you have him below 50% health before the 3rd spark comes up, then just pop BL and go to town, just tanking the spark (but killing fragments at that time) but if you're that low on his health, I'd say you're not having problems anyway.

The main problem we had was, after a 1.5% wipe, we proceeded to have no less than 10 wipes in succession which were all more or less perfectly executed on driving, not standing in molten flow, etc, and then he would spawn the next active volcano in the exact opposite end of the platform, which often meant that we would get another volcano active before we got to it, and then another before we got to that, etc. You get the picture. Yes, there is such a thing as RNG on this fight.

Druids, druids everywhere! The presence of just 1 druid can tip the scales completely in p2, and make a huge impact in p1, particularly a boomkin, due to the knockbacks in p1, and a tranquility early in p2.

We ran with holy pala, holy priest 2 healing it, with a pala tank and a dps warr in the group. That pretty much sums it up for our raid cooldowns, and even coming into p2 with full health on everyone, the first stomp nukes the hell out of people, due to molten armor being very difficult to avoid in p1.

I cannot stress enough what a huge difference a boomkin (or resto, ofc) tranquility would have completely changed this fight for us.

A dead priest is better than an oom priest. If you run with what's available, like us, and one healer is a holy priest, then remember that spirit of redemption is godlike if your healer is oom shortly into p2. Just let him die asap, it's fairly likely you will kill the boss within the spirit uptime.

This fight is mainly about a good comp, more so than anything. Demonology warlock, frost dk, and at least 1 boomkin, and a pala tank, then you should be fit for fight. 2 (max 3) melee make for a good driving group, rest should have designated, even dps legs, and only switch on "hard left, hard right" calls. A warr is extremely handy for the 2nd melee, with his raid wall and shattering throw in p2 +sunder armor.
Bellante

Postby fafhrd » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:46 am

Don't think it's terribly RNG :/ We have no knockbacks or tranquilities (1 feral druid who's tanking, so no Tranq). Since the change to the volcano debuff, volcano spawns don't really hurt even when they're very far, and you can steer to minimize the likelihood of far ones (don't make sharp turns, keep doing inward-aimed circles etc).
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Belloc » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:50 am

I get the feeling (and correct me if I'm wrong) that if you are having active volcanoes appear behind the boss, you're not driving properly. He will attempt to target a volcano in front of him... but if you're driving him along or towards an edge, there probably aren't any volcanoes in front of him.

I've seen this first hand plenty of times... the boss will be facing away from the volcanoes or running along the rim and he'll activate a volcano behind him and we're screwed. Had he been facing a different direction, it probably never would've happened.

Just some food for thought on the whole "RNG" complaint. Just because you're able to guide him towards the activated volcanoes doesn't mean you're driving properly -- it just means that you know how to aim him.
Belloc

Postby fafhrd » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:53 am

If you're facing him into the lava, and there are volcanoes behind him even if there is one "in front" there's a decent chance he'll pick one of the others. Avoid driving him straight towards lava and it'll be much less aggravating when things like this happen, since several different volcanoes are easy turns from where he's going already.

It's definitely not a particularly fun fight, but I don't think RNG has much to do with beating it unless you're just rolling the dice without trying to mitigate the bad mechanics.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby VikrumthePally » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:56 am

Tamarins wrote:
VikrumthePally wrote:We are 10 man, and used two tanks and two heals. I know that is pretty unorthodox but our Prot Warrior was able to be 2nd in dps/dmg done on the frags so they died pretty quickly each time around.

We're going to be starting on this guy this week and I'm doing some initial planning in terms of composition and assignments. I was surprised to read that you two-tanked it. Can you explain what each tank did? Was one on sparks and one on frags? If so, what did each tank do when they didn't actively have something to tank?

Also, thanks for the pointer on timing BL, that'll be very helpful.

To answer your 2 tank question. We have attempted it every which way you can. But we just consistently found that having our Warrior tank was extremely useful. Try after try he was always 1st or 2nd in dmg/dps. There is so little time when he's not tanking though. So that wasn't really an issue. I personally was concerned that once we got to p2 his dps/dmg (or lack thereof) would be a hindrance. But as I eluded to in a previous post p2 is really not bad at all.

-edit- Bellante is right about the Tranq going into p2. It almost trivializes p2 if you can have that for that first stomp. In regards to the obsidians you REALLY shouldn't give them much thought. Just do the fight as it comes at you and unless you are actively steering him INTO obsidians you should be fine. We had zero knock backs on our kill shot.
VikrumthePally

Postby Bellante » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:40 am

Belloc wrote:I get the feeling (and correct me if I'm wrong) that if you are having active volcanoes appear behind the boss, you're not driving properly. He will attempt to target a volcano in front of him... but if you're driving him along or towards an edge, there probably aren't any volcanoes in front of him.

I've seen this first hand plenty of times... the boss will be facing away from the volcanoes or running along the rim and he'll activate a volcano behind him and we're screwed. Had he been facing a different direction, it probably never would've happened.

Just some food for thought on the whole "RNG" complaint. Just because you're able to guide him towards the activated volcanoes doesn't mean you're driving properly -- it just means that you know how to aim him.

I personally hate calling the "RNG excuse", been raiding for 6 years, and 95% of the time, it seemed to me that it covered "I haven't figured this out yet" or "I'm overlooking something important".

Watched an immense amount of videos on the fight, I really don't see anything we're doing differently with the steering, we always had on average about 2 in front of him. However, the times when it did seem to happen could be when we *needed* to get him to an active volcano that's been out for a while, and I honestly don't recall what was in front of him at the time, it might have happened as a fluke, but I don't think we had him facing nothing 10 times in a row. And we never steered him along the edge.

It's some good input though, and I'll definitely keep it in mind when/if we go on him again. Believe me, on this boss, there's nothing I'd rather do than have an epiphany and realise that a slight modification makes it all the more manageable.
Bellante

Postby VikrumthePally » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:56 am

Bellante wrote:
Belloc wrote:I get the feeling (and correct me if I'm wrong) that if you are having active volcanoes appear behind the boss, you're not driving properly. He will attempt to target a volcano in front of him... but if you're driving him along or towards an edge, there probably aren't any volcanoes in front of him.

I personally hate calling the "RNG excuse", been raiding for 6 years, and 95% of the time, it seemed to me that it covered "I haven't figured this out yet" or "I'm overlooking something important".

Watched an immense amount of videos on the fight, I really don't see anything we're doing differently with the steering, we always had on average about 2 in front of him. However, the times when it did seem to happen could be when we *needed* to get him to an active volcano that's been out for a while, and I honestly don't recall what was in front of him at the time, it might have happened as a fluke, but I don't think we had him facing nothing 10 times in a row. And we never steered him along the edge.

It's some good input though, and I'll definitely keep it in mind when/if we go on him again. Believe me, on this boss, there's nothing I'd rather do than have an epiphany and realise that a slight modification makes it all the more manageable.

Pretty much my exact same thoughts on the "RNG" thing. I use the term "RNG" as a catch all. To me the crappyness of this fight boils down to horrible implementation of an interesting mechanic.

Basically 3 things:
1.) Dps to the legs to turn him
2.) The representation of how he's going to turn in the UI element (or lack thereof)
3.) What you see in the actual game world

Our guild leader does a much better job of eloquently explaining these 3 things and why this encounter can be frustrating; you can view his video how-to here http://www.youtube.com/user/gabestah#p/u/6/nO1ra3WMrj8 where the first few minutes of the video he explains what I am talking about.
VikrumthePally

Postby Darielle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:30 am

I drive him every week and RNG about "him spawning a Volcano behind him" is never an issue. If you play it properly and expect the second activation, he'll spawn a second Volcano, you pop both at once, and carry on merrily.
Darielle

Postby fafhrd » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:47 am

Yeah, kills are getting smoother every week - either they've been secretly making him less RNG, or we're unconsciously getting better at dealing with it.

Just take a deep breath and use his slow walk speed to take time to look around where volcanos are and what's likely going to happen after you break the one you're going for. If steering is still nuts after a few nights and it's not because people are dpsing legs haphazardly, assign someone else to steer.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Bellante » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Thanks a lot for the input, it's good to get words on what people see as issues and non-issues. There's always a gap between what one thinks one does, and what one ACTUALLY does, so I'll keep your input firmly in mind next time.
Bellante

Postby Galiks » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:43 am

I've done a lot of testing upon predicting the next volcano spawn location, and we've decided its predictable. If you have Rhyolith walking in a straight line, he will spawn an active one at a random location on the map, but if you have him turning he will almost always spawn one in the direction he is turning.

Our theory is: the code for choosing an active volcano takes rhyolith's current position and translates that to where he is aimed to turn, as if he was actually facing that direction already. So what we do is we keep him straight, and when he is about to choose another active volcano we turn him slightly to theoretically transpose his position, and he always places an active volcano in that direction.

Now this isn't too useful as the fight is prolonged, as there will be volcanoes everywhere, but it is useful in the beginning to help ensure things start off smoothly. We start hard right foot, straighten him out after the first stomp, then soft right foot to grab the immediate volcano to his right, then go from there.

..Maybe blizzard has some type of tangential trigonometric function in the script and it bugs out when he's not being turned, maybe producing a NaN result :\...
Prot Paladin - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... s/advanced
Moonkin - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... ice/simple
Prot Warrior - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... osh/simple

<Rehabilitation Clinic> GM/RL
rcazgalor.guildlaunch.com : 13/13H 10-man: Mon-Wed 7-11 World #49 Overall

Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/231362/

Recruiting mage!
Galiks

Postby Shassara » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:23 pm

Found this thread in all my research for this fight, and I've come looking for some advice.

We've been working on this fight for 2 nights now, and it's pretty safe to say we have barely made any progress.

Our comp tonight was:
Prot Paladin
Rogue / DK
Arc Mage / MM Hunter / Shadow Priest / Demo Lock

Resto Shaman / Resto Druid / Holy Paladin

We tried two healing it for several attempts with both the Shaman (myself) and the Druid going ele/boomkin.

We've tried several different dps assignments, but we just couldn't get anything to work for us.

Our best attempts were around 60%, but that was barely at the 3rd spark mark, and even then his armor was too high or he was soaking too many oozes.

I feel like we are seriously missing something. I heal, so I don't pretend to know much about steering or any of that.

Logs if anyone dares : http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/f5i23vf1fuwhgh6z/

Thanks in advance for any help/insight you can provide!
Shassara

Postby RedAces » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:14 am

Why did you wipe? Did you call it or do you got overwhelmed by adds / volcanos / grp damage?
60% at the 3rd spark sound doable. Kill the spark, have 1 or 2 dps on fragment duty and the rest has to burn the legs with all you got (every damage increase possible). If a 4th spark spawns (it will), offtank it outside of the grp. In the burn phase make sure to stun / snare any obsidian near him, but don't bother killing them. Your offtank can stun them too (Pala / Warri) as long as he doesn't kill any dps with the spark.

A good dps assignment for your group would be:
Rogue + DK on legs (e. g. Rogue left, DK right - for turning one of them switches). During the initial phase both melees should spam AE if obsidian is near the boss.
Arcane Mage on Spark duty + Legs.
Hunter, Shadow, Demo Fragment and Spark duty. The Demo can offtank the fragments that spawn directly after a spark. (Or your DK can offtank them - whoever does a better job at tanking). You can taunt them when your spark is dead.
For the burn phase let the priest (strong AE!) and maybe the demo do the fragments and everybody else on the feet.
And as a tankadin, USE THE HOLY WRATH GLYPH and spam it on the blobs.

For the firstkill I advise you to two-heal it. Yes it will be hard on your healers but your spriest can help out (Hymns). A boomkin is really nice here because they can shove (?) the obsidian away from the boss with typhoon, they have a massive AE that includes all obsidian (Starfall) and can tranq / spotheal if your healers are overwhelmed.
RedAces

Postby illinivb7 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:47 am

Running with 2 boomkins/hunter/arc mage/ele sham for ranged with dk/warr on legs for driving what do people feel is the most optimal setup for distributing dps. We pushed him into p2 2-3 times but with 4 stacks of superheated so I know dps distribution and slightly some mechanics is the issue and from doing reading the 2 solutions I believe are waiting til 3 stacks of sparks to dps them down and also putting some ranged more fulltime on rhyo since I was incorrect in thinking that all 5 ranged on adds would kill them quicker and allow them to swap on the boss rinse/repeat. I lean towards the boomkins being on the boss since they can both roll dots on both legs but the arc mage has pretty mediocre aoe.

Thanks for any input
illinivb7

Postby Arianne » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:27 am

We usually have our mage switch between the legs and the spark. The tank on the spark calls out when it hits 5 stacks and the mage burns it down. I'd add the hunter (primary job spark, secondary fragments [making sure that he keeps a frost trap up behind the boss to slow obsidians]) and maybe the ele shaman (primary job legs, secondary spark, tertiary fragments [so on the quick spawn he helps fragments and the slow spawn he's either on spark or on legs]) on the spark and have the boomkins primarily be fragments, legs (just assign one to each leg), and alternating knocking back the obsidians.
Arianne

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)