Remove Advertisements

[25/10] Alysrazor Hatchling DPS

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25/10] Alysrazor Hatchling DPS

Postby frontallobe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:01 am

baff wrote:Real nice observation from last night - Once you have imprinted on you, you can divine shield and tank them for 8 seconds without taking any damage (well, at least this worked on hardmode).
-- this works in reg as well. I love it for bad RNG with hungry.
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby anafielle » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Holy shit that's awesome. Totally doing that. (We are working on h alys 25 right now)

Does this mean that a BOP will also work fine? I mean I assume yes.
Anafielle, 90 Retribution Paladin in <Something Wicked> :: Armory :: Twitter

Sacred Duty: Theck, Meloree & Ana's blog

"Hold on, hold on, let me make sure I've got this straight. You're telling me that a critical part of our strategy for this fight will be to have the ret paladins go stand in the fire? Yeah, we can handle that." -- DSWarden
anafielle

Postby Treck » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:48 pm

anafielle wrote:Does this mean that a BOP will also work fine? I mean I assume yes.

Yes.
But Bubble reduce your dps by 50%, and you wont take any damage for 8 sec.
BoP will reduce your dps by quite a lot since you can pretty much only cast Holy wrath and Consecration when BoP is up, it does however last for 10sec instead, so it does cover a whole tantrum duration, and a good option for non paladins.
Treck

Postby lythac » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:26 am

I haven't seen it mentioned (as it may be too obvious) for normal mode Glyph of Focused Shield should be used for a 5k DPS gain.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Raive » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:22 pm

On 10 man (haven't tried yet in 25, we've been pushing 10 man progression in my guild lately to get people geared/familiarized with fights before we push 25 harder again) I generally didn't have much difficulty taking my add down keeping wings on CD without using dps trinkets or going for hit/expertise.

However, the DK tank we run with tended to be 10-15% behind me on his add which we ended up figuring had to do with me having a 378 weapon (Obsidian Cleaver) and him still using a 359 (Zin'Rokh) so we had ranged dps help him on his add between their initiates.

We only sent one dps up to beat on alys (boomkin), 3 healed it, and everyone else was on initiates and the DK's add when their initiate was down.

If I got an unlucky string of misses/parries/dodges my add would generally go into the tornado phase with 5-10% health but never more than that.

I was running somewhere around 1.6% hit and 15 expertise with the corruption glyph.

I tended to drag my hatchling next to a worm and wait for a tantrum before dragging him over it.

And yeah, I started out on initiates to stack holy power, though I don't think I actually popped inquisition at all during the fight, just shield of righteousness every time I hit 3 holy power.

The only other thing of note I would think would be I was still running the tier 11 2 piece for the extra damage from crusader strike.
Raive

Postby oldboyz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:59 am

i always already killed my bird before P2 (with various help from other dps, but they were more on the other bird with a less prepared tank), i'm still looking how to improve this fight
overall dps = 95k dps (average several try):
swapped my full tank (ilv364) with
-trinket licence to Slay justice vendor (+worm because i'm a pussy, next week i rather add dwyer's caber 368 daily quest)
-back & waist from hyjal reput
-dps ring from daily hijal
but still with mastery food & stam flask :oops:
i'm working a dedicated stuff with adequate cap hit (6%)& xpertise(24)

<> meantime, i've a question regarding dps trick :mrgreen: (i've read some tank go 140k dps+)
my special big slam one time burst: (i do it just after 1 worm, just to be sure to have max vengeance)
3charge
inquisition
3charge
use potion (+str on use),
avenging wrath
shield Of Righteous
divine plea
shield Of Righteous

-any better?
-does inquisition worth it on a regular cycle? (i did some from time to time, but i think i add the buff 50% of total time, no more), is it solid to plan 1 inquisition once every 2 SoR ?
-what else?
oldboyz

Postby Lieris » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:48 pm

oldboyz wrote:i always already killed my bird before P2 (with various help from other dps, but they were more on the other bird with a less prepared tank), i'm still looking how to improve this fight

Unless you are trying to get rankings, why? As long as the hatchling is dead before the next one arrives or before vortex then you've done enough. It doesn't matter even if you have two hatchlings bunched on top of the raid during a Firestorm with a Gushing Wound DOT on the entire raid as healers can calmly let the raid drop to 50% and be in no hurry to top everyone off as nothing happens for a good 15 seconds and they will never go OOM because of the burn phases every 5 mins.

I tank it in normal tank gear and consumables with License to Slay and my hatchling dies before or shortly after the Firestorm starts most of the time but even on the occasions that it doesn't it's not a big deal at all. I've even tanked two hatchlings at the same time (off tank dead) with this gear and we've killed both of them before the next ones spawn.

Just giving another perspective :) I am happy to be a tank who the raid can rely on to not die.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:50 pm

Lieris wrote:
oldboyz wrote:i always already killed my bird before P2 (with various help from other dps, but they were more on the other bird with a less prepared tank), i'm still looking how to improve this fight

Unless you are trying to get rankings, why? As long as the hatchling is dead before the next one arrives or before vortex then you've done enough.

It doesn't even affect rankings really. Your effective DPS as long as you kill the bird before the next one spawns is the same. If you kill a bird in 30 seconds and stand around for 20 (or do piddling DPS to something else during those 20 seconds), that's the same as if you took 50 seconds to kill the bird as far as World of Logs is concerned.

WoL rankings on this fight are pretty much entirely determined by how much DPS your fellow raid members do to your bird. The more they do to it, the worse your rank will be.
Kihra

Postby Belloc » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:26 pm

I'd imagine that the best way to get a high ranking is to solo tank the fight.

Yes, I realize how difficult that might be -- our tank had to solo tank the adds on heroic after I died. He managed to make it through two sets :P I'm pretty sure the worms are what ended up wiping us, since we had leftovers (if you're solo tanking, the birds tend to charge the same worm at the same time, both eating it).
Belloc

Postby oldboyz » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:57 pm

it isn't a matter of ranking

i kill by bird before P2, but most of the time without any margin. So my intention to improve my dps is just in order to make this stage more confortable (and ask the dps who help me to rather go help on the other bird)
oldboyz

Postby Meloree » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:09 pm

Kihra wrote:
Lieris wrote:

Unless you are trying to get rankings, why? As long as the hatchling is dead before the next one arrives or before vortex then you've done enough.

It doesn't even affect rankings really. Your effective DPS as long as you kill the bird before the next one spawns is the same. If you kill a bird in 30 seconds and stand around for 20 (or do piddling DPS to something else during those 20 seconds), that's the same as if you took 50 seconds to kill the bird as far as World of Logs is concerned.

WoL rankings on this fight are pretty much entirely determined by how much DPS your fellow raid members do to your bird. The more they do to it, the worse your rank will be.

I will never rank on this fight. 6 flying dot-machines will do everything in their power to prevent it.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Meloree wrote:
I will never rank on this fight. 6 flying dot-machines will do everything in their power to prevent it.

Yeah, every week I kill my birds faster and get a lower parse. :)
Kihra

Postby baleogthefierce » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:55 am

2piece T11 Prot and 2piece T12 Ret is pretty insane for this, especially if you use a rotation that includes Inquisition.
baleogthefierce

Postby Raive » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:07 am

I've never run into any problems with dpsing the birds, with my add usually dying around 10 seconds before tornadoes come out.
I run focused shield, 2 piece tier 11 + 2 piece tier 12 (for both the extra shield slam damage and the crusader strike damage), and the mastery/strength trinket from avengers rep.
I also use my 359 shield with a shield spike strapped onto it (it usually ends up account for 500-600k damage by the end of the fight)

Have 14 expertise and somewhere around 1.5% hit.
Do the usual building holy power on the first initiate then pick up the bird, start dpsing but wait a few seconds for vengeance before popping inquisition, then waiting till 3 more holy power stacks before popping wings/strength trinket.

On 10 man we have people help on hatchlings whenever their adds are down.
On 25 we have 3 dps assigned to each hatchling (usually ends up being an arcane mage, warlock, and hunter on each). Seeing as we only ever send 1 person up into the air it leaves us with more than enough dps to take down the initiates.

Also, if you are having a lot of trouble getting your bird down and you've got a druid in your group, have them keep thorns up on you whenever they can, 1 thorns can generally do around 100k damage as it seems to get the full 1000% damage bonus. Ret aura also helps if you can spare it, but it doesnt seem to get the full 1000%, closer to only a 100% bonus, but even that is helpful
Raive

Previous

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)