Threat meter in 5-mans?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Threat meter in 5-mans?

Postby Matthias » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:25 pm

So I was running SV again last night, Ive done it many times quite effortlessly, but this mage last night kept complaining about how I didn't have omen and how he won't be able to know when to DPS what I'm going after. I told him wait until I judge and then start killing, and he leaves the party. Anyone else had this problem? As far as I knew, Threat meters in 5 mans seem unimportant since theres only 2 people in the group I tend to worry about passing me in threat (Theres always that one dps that seems to be low enough on threat/DPS I dont even count him)

P.S. After he left grabbed a rogue and did a full clear in 42 minutes, lol.
Matthias

Postby Invisusira » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:38 pm

Guy was just an ass.
Invisusira

Postby Worldie » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:49 pm

You should have told him "my avenger shield cast bar is the threat meter, when its casted you can start dps"
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Katatonia » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:50 pm

It sounds like he was an ass, but I can't think of any good reason to not run a threat meter all the time. I'd much rather have an over-conservative player than the idiots who start dps on (or better yet, stun/intercept) the mobs long before they get anywhere the spot I'm going to consecrate.
Katatonia

Postby guillex » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:31 pm

Katatonia wrote:It sounds like he was an ass, but I can't think of any good reason to not run a threat meter all the time. I'd much rather have an over-conservative player than the idiots who start dps on (or better yet, stun/intercept) the mobs long before they get anywhere the spot I'm going to consecrate.

Though I agree with Worldie.

If people start asking me for a different buff in a 5man, and I don't see them on Omen, they keep salvation. :) That simple.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Athon » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:17 am

A threatmeter is nice. When you get used to it, it is hard to be without it. A tank doesn't necessarily need it for himself, but it is wonderful for the other people in the group. Just install it and if you don't care much about the readings, hide it. It will still transmit data to other group members. It is also useful for the tank, because then you can see how far ahead of the other group members you are in threat generation.

Omen is my favorite. I've also tried KTM, but I didn't like it too much.
Athon

Postby Zeels » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:21 am

Athon wrote:A threatmeter is nice. When you get used to it, it is hard to be without it. A tank doesn't necessarily need it for himself, but it is wonderful for the other people in the group. Just install it and if you don't care much about the readings, hide it. It will still transmit data to other group members. It is also useful for the tank, because then you can see how far ahead of the other group members you are in threat generation.

Omen is the successor of KTM, AFAIK they only make development on omen now and not KTM, so get omen.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Blaen99 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:16 pm

Zeels wrote:
Athon wrote:A threatmeter is nice. When you get used to it, it is hard to be without it. A tank doesn't necessarily need it for himself, but it is wonderful for the other people in the group. Just install it and if you don't care much about the readings, hide it. It will still transmit data to other group members. It is also useful for the tank, because then you can see how far ahead of the other group members you are in threat generation.

Omen is the successor of KTM, AFAIK they only make development on omen now and not KTM, so get omen.

Omen and KTM are two different teams.

Kenco refused to basically use "any modern programming practices whatsoever" on Omen, so people created a new mod.
Blaen99

Postby Zeels » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:32 pm

Blaen99 wrote:Omen and KTM are two different teams.

Kenco refused to basically use "any modern programming practices whatsoever" on Omen, so people created a new mod.

You mean KTM? Omen is the new mod right?
"Omen is intended to be a KTM replacement, but there are obviously transitory periods for any raiding group."

and

"Please be aware that as KTM is an aggregate meter and not aware of multiple targets, any values from it will be incorrect in any multi-mob encounter beyond the first mob."

and

"Omen is a threat meter developed alongside Threat-1.0 and serves both as a Threat-1.0 testing platform and a replacement for KLH Threat Meter."

:roll:
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Everlight » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:51 pm

Blaen99 wrote:Kenco refused to basically use "any modern programming practices whatsoever" on Omen, so people created a new mod.

Kenco is the author of KTM, not Omen. Antiarc is the author of Omen.
Everlight

Postby Metrodin » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:06 pm

I'm the same. I've always run with low-ish spell damage, so its good to know when I need to go all out or when I can hold back.

Its also nice for those good dps'ers that can ride the threat line without going over.

It makes me a little nervous to see a group member missing from the threat list now that I've become so used to it.
Metrodin

Postby Corynthia » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:47 pm

The mage probably didn't say it in a kind way, but threat meters are super helpful. If your DPS is concerned about not pulling aggro, it means they're probably pretty decent players...it helps to work with other people who care about how they play.

If you have a threat meter, good DPS can ride your threat, which means when you have a nice lead, they can go all-out and not worry about getting one-shotted. It'll speed your runs up, lead to less wipes and less downtime.

Also, think of all the battles you have with mobs that fear or silence, and basically shut your threat down. In those cases, DPS knows that they need to hold off and give you a bit more time. It's also nice for healers, because they can spot the exact moment where they can throw that first heal off without drawing aggro. Threat meters, more than anything else, help make others more responsible for their own aggro.

Anything that prevents me from having to chase mobs makes me happy.
Corynthia

Postby kalbear » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:42 am

Honestly, I wouldn't want to play with a tank who refused to use a threatmeter either.
kalbear

Postby Invisusira » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:18 am

pug 5 mans are serious business
Invisusira

Postby Exodius » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:53 am

I agree with Corynthia. The only good reason not to run a threat meter like Omen constantly is because of memory concerns and lag, and if that's a constant problem, I would recommend honestly improving your computer or net connection before missing out on a meter. :?

With a good threat meter running, you can see how much of a lead you have in real terms. You can see when you have so much threat that you don't need to be constantly judging on a mob, which means you save mana and have less downtime between pulls.

If your threat lead is large enough you can also swap to an avoidance rather than spell damage weapon, which makes the healers keeping you alive have an easier time.

If dps is riding your tail constantly, you can consider using wizard oil or spell damage food to make the run easier as well.

You might also forget that the majority of trash, baring casters, will kill a cloth wearer withing 3 seconds. That's not a huge amount of time. With a threat meter they can see how close they are can get without drawing aggro, and who would be getting it if the tank becomes incapacitated. These are good things to know and can help prevent wipes, as the rest of your party can do emergency aggro dumps, fears, frost novas, whatever...

Another thing to consider is a party member might not have aggro reducing talents. It's just easy for them to pull threat, but they want to do good damage and contribute. Such people are able to contribute without the tank running around like a moron and themselves getting killed.

Sure, you can see most of this happen on screen and react accordingly. But a threat meter will help you know before it all happens. :P

It might not be essential, but I can't think of any reason why you would not run Omen, but many, many, many reasons why you and the rest of the party would. :D
Exodius

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics