Tank Comparisons...again

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Tank Comparisons...again

Postby Sagara » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:17 am

Pyrea wrote:
Sagara wrote:Funnily, I just realized how DK are on the knife's edge. Our DK Tank got crushed like a bug (ahah) repeatedly on Beth 10N lest weekend. Every time he went upstairs he lived roughly 30-45 seconds before getting *SMAAAAAAAAAAAASHED*

Smouldering Devastation?

Nah, the healer was still up there and alive.
Still need to upload and analyse the parse, but I'm guessing general spike deaths.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Levantine » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:36 am

Probably along the lines of "Avoid-avoid-avoid oh look I have sweet fuck all blood shield because I miss timed a Death Strike splat".
Levantine

Postby Shoju » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:43 am

Sagara wrote:Funnily, I just realized how DK are on the knife's edge. Our DK Tank got crushed like a bug (ahah) repeatedly on Beth 10N lest weekend. Every time he went upstairs he lived roughly 30-45 seconds before getting *SMAAAAAAAAAAAASHED*

I hate to be a buzz kill, but if your DK was getting rocked and died upstairs, he is doing something woefully, terribly, utterly wrong.

Last week on our KILL of Beth, my healer fell down and died during first Beth phase immediately after getting upstairs. I had him Brezzed, and stay downstairs to get mana. I self healed / CD'd my way through a full upstairs phase.

I'm not in a cutting edge guild. I'm not even remotely op. I'm not wearing some amazing amount of gear.

Dks' are absolutely fine in Normal Modes. We are fine in 10n. We are fine in 25n. We are..... 'ok' in 10h. We are unacceptable in 25h. We are dying way too fast in 25h. We cannot simply stack up to shield tanks in heroic encounters. There is a group of DK tanks who are compiling the representation numbers, the damage numbers.

Basically, blizzard said they wanted to get away from the system of being able to die really fast, and they have when it comes to bears, paladins, and warriors. DK's on the other hand, are getting mauled in 25h.

EDIT:
I just realized that I didn't log in my tank stuff. You can see it on WoW-heroes, click on my blood spec, the only difference between what it shows and what I'm wearing is that I have the VP neck now.

Name: Onisu
Realm: Terenas - US - PVE
Shoju

Postby Aanar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:50 am

I know you're focused on raiding, but for healing 5 mans most of the squishy tanks I run into seem to be DKs. There are a lot of great DKs out there, but there's also a lot of bad ones that must not be timing death strike and CDs very well.
Aanar

Postby Levantine » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:52 am

Aanar wrote:I know you're focused on raiding, but for healing 5 mans most of the squishy tanks I run into seem to be DKs. There are a lot of great DKs out there, but there's also a lot of bad ones that must not be timing death strike and CDs very well.

It's more that they don't realise what timing DS even is.
Levantine

Postby Aanar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:58 am

Levantine wrote:
Aanar wrote:I know you're focused on raiding, but for healing 5 mans most of the squishy tanks I run into seem to be DKs. There are a lot of great DKs out there, but there's also a lot of bad ones that must not be timing death strike and CDs very well.

Lol. Sadly, that could very well be the case.
Aanar

Postby Malthrax » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:01 am

Aanar wrote:
Levantine wrote:

Lol. Sadly, that could very well be the case.

It *is* the case. LFD 5-mans are filled with players who don't know how to play their classes. Granted, most of the raids I wind up in these days seem to have a similar problem... :(
Malthrax

Postby Worldie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:43 am

Levantine wrote:

I don't either. Care to explain me? As i occasionally tank alt raids on my DK.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Dane » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:12 am

Worldie wrote:
Levantine wrote:

I don't either. Care to explain me? As i occasionally tank alt raids on my DK.

I have my own curiosities about this, for similar reasons. My suspicion is that it's about holding Death Strike (in applicable situations) for just after a big hit or succession of hits (within the what...6 second time limit?) to ensure the healing received is as effective as possible, and the Blood Shield is as large as possible, rather than just spamming DS on CD.

That sound at all accurate to anyone?
Dane

Postby Sagara » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:16 am

Shoju wrote:

I hate to be a buzz kill, but if your DK was getting rocked and died upstairs, he is doing something woefully, terribly, utterly wrong.

Last week on our KILL of Beth, my healer fell down and died during first Beth phase immediately after getting upstairs. I had him Brezzed, and stay downstairs to get mana. I self healed / CD'd my way through a full upstairs phase.

I'm not in a cutting edge guild. I'm not even remotely op. I'm not wearing some amazing amount of gear.

Dks' are absolutely fine in Normal Modes. We are fine in 10n. We are fine in 25n. We are..... 'ok' in 10h. We are unacceptable in 25h. We are dying way too fast in 25h. We cannot simply stack up to shield tanks in heroic encounters. There is a group of DK tanks who are compiling the representation numbers, the damage numbers.

Basically, blizzard said they wanted to get away from the system of being able to die really fast, and they have when it comes to bears, paladins, and warriors. DK's on the other hand, are getting mauled in 25h.

EDIT:
I just realized that I didn't log in my tank stuff. You can see it on WoW-heroes, click on my blood spec, the only difference between what it shows and what I'm wearing is that I have the VP neck now.

Name: Onisu
Realm: Terenas - US - PVE

No offense taken! I DID post a frustration about it ;-) 'Anyhow, to cut short on the off-topicyness, could you give me a ressource or two I could give the guy - he's a decent learner, but lacks in the initiative department.

Oh and in case you wondered - Sombrellia - Eitrigg - EU (OMG I gave a way to find me! *runs*)
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Flex » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:18 am

That is more or less correct.

In normal modes it isn't too much of an issue if geared okay and you have a pulse.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Gerunna » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:26 am

There's a decent write-up of maximizing DS and how to play "rune Tetris" at the Wowhead forums.
ImageImage
Gerunna

Postby Aanar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:36 am

I read there's a mod for DKs that helps with DS timing by lighting up at oppurtune times or something. My DK is just an alt that I've only tanked reg heroics with so I haven't bothered trying to omptimize too much.

I wonder if there's still DKs out there trying to tank in frost spec. :roll:
Aanar

Postby Amirya » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:27 am

And still dual wield.

I've seen. When I'm on my healer.

It's why I prefer to heal guild tanks. At least they have brains.

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:09 pm

Amirya wrote:And still dual wield.

I've seen. When I'm on my healer.

It's why I prefer to heal guild tanks. At least they have brains.

we do?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

PreviousNext

Return to General