[10] Ragnaros

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby frontallobe » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:04 am

We're on the same spot but it's just going to come down to practice imho. Wipe more, you'll get it Arincia. No real secret to this part as far as I've seen.
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby Daenerys » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:46 am

Winkle wrote:
Arincia wrote:Was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to handle phase 2? Our guild can get past the first transition and the first stack up but we seem to always lose people just after that or during the 2nd one when the middle of the room gets the lines and we can't group up and wipe. How do other people handle this? Any suggestions for a cd order for phase 2? (2 prot pallys, 1 holy pally, 1 disc priest, 1 druid. initially thinking barrier+AM first, DG+tranq 2nd, then AM+DG 3rd if we have one)

I don't quite understand the problem, why exactly can't you group up after the second seeds?

I understand why.. if the Engulfing Flames happens in the middle, people might get cut off from the stack point. Avoidable too I'm sure, but it's not good to be too stacked up right before seeds come out. I don't see why this kills you though after it happens once. People just need to group roughly in the middle as far from seeds as possible, even if in two different groups, pop DG, tranq like you said, or personal CDs. Seeds 1 and 3 will never have the problem of flames right before stacking..
Daenerys

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:13 pm

Juugimus wrote:Thanks for all the relies. We pretty much got the first two phases and the first transition down. On the second transition, do any of you leave one Son of Flame at low health up while DPSing Lava Scions or is it too risky in your opinion?

We did, and basically killed Rag as soon as we got a clean p3 transition. I wasn't aware the last son would detonate on Rag's emerge, so we must have gotten lucky.

Our Warlock frapsed the entire 10m fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NagvTMyKso4

only one video stream, so the visuals are kind of boring, even if the music isn't. :lol:
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Korbah » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:50 am

I noticed something strange last night that I haven't seen noted before. As long as you are out of range, and someone else is in range of Ragnaros, he will ignore you, even if you taunt. It seems like he will only magma blast his target if noone is currently in range.
Korbah

Postby Loras » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:15 pm

How many healers (and what classes) do you people use for 10 man normal kills? I've read here and there that it's better to use 2, but our resto shammy is highly against it and wants us to 3-heal it (we are doing it with a resto shammy, resto druid and a holy paladin). Also our warlock stays demo for stuns and aoe on adds in transition phases. Is it better to be affliction? Our usual setup is:

Paladin/DK - tanks
Druid/Shaman/Paladin - healers
Fire mage (dont suggest arcane), Shadow priest, Warlock, Elemental shaman, Rogue/Hunter - dps
Loras

Postby Daenerys » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:02 pm

We use 2 tanks, 3 healers. I'm not sure I would go with 2 healers.. in my experience, it is somewhat difficult for a healer to be in range of the melee and the tanks at the same time in p1, if the melee want to be "behind" the boss for purposes of parry/dodge. and there is a fair amount of tank damage, as well as topping up the raid required in p1. But I suppose it could be done with 2 healers as well, phase 3 for instance requires very little healing. On one attempt recently, we lost one of our tanks (who had never been to p3 before) to the first meteor that spawned near him, basically at the start of phase 3, and wiped only at 13% (with 3% to go)..

Personally I liked having our lock go Destro for the transition phases (shadowfury every 20 seconds and quick single-target dps on the adds).

As far as raid comp, the more stuns or knockbacks the better, other than that, I don't think any particular class is favored. A warrior tank is really a godsend on the transition phases (we don't typically have a warrior at all). A paladin of any type with glyphed Holy Wrath has a multitude of stuns as well.
Daenerys

Postby Lieris » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:38 pm

3 healers is definitely better while learning. You don't need the extra dps on normal mode and the extra healing makes things safer. It's a very easy fight to heal with very predictable damage, just have whoever is activating the traps announce first.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Loras » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:31 am

I am just a bit worried about 2nd transition phase. We are basically having only Tuesdays to train on Ragnaros on 10 man as Monday's our last 25-man raiding day for the week. Been training yesterday for a 2nd time on him, mastered the seeds phase, but didnt have time to train on 2nd transition phase. For the first one, though, we sometimes barely make it, and for the 2nd one we will have 1 Deathgrip less (from our DK tank who will have to go and pick up his add) and my 2 stuns (hammer + glyphed holy wrath) less cause I also need to pick up my add.
Loras

Postby Winkle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:43 am

Loras wrote:I am just a bit worried about 2nd transition phase. We are basically having only Tuesdays to train on Ragnaros on 10 man as Monday's our last 25-man raiding day for the week. Been training yesterday for a 2nd time on him, mastered the seeds phase, but didnt have time to train on 2nd transition phase. For the first one, though, we sometimes barely make it, and for the 2nd one we will have 1 Deathgrip less (from our DK tank who will have to go and pick up his add) and my 2 stuns (hammer + glyphed holy wrath) less cause I also need to pick up my add.

Firstly 1 tank can and probably should pick up both adds, secondly what stops you using HoJ and Wrath or the DK using Dgrip when tanking other adds?
Winkle

Postby Herrbjorn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:23 am

For the 2nd phase transition, my warrior co-tank and I each stun a Son and ranged taunt the Lava Scions. I pick up both Lava Scions and standby the hammer, ready to pop Holy Wrath if needed. He is free to go jump around like Rageface on the remaining adds with his multitude of stuns. Similarly, the DK can move away from the hammer and Death Grip an add away.

Since they move very slowly at low health ~20%, our ranged dps on the close to hammer Sons will help with a few quick nukes on any runaway Sons. We usually have an Arcane Mage in that position.
Herrbjorn

Postby frontallobe » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:23 am

Great video Fuzzy. Thanks. After watching that I think we're pretty close to the kill. How many p3s did you see before you got the kill?
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby fafhrd » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:52 am

We 3 heal since that's our default setup whenever we're not forced to 2 heal something. It's a looong enrage (18m) so it shouldn't really be a problem so long as you have enough DPS/control to keep up with sons. There's no other DPS check, other than the soft-enrage of having too many meteors in P3 I guess (even that's pretty doable, just have a ranged/healer keep knocking them into the lava). There's no real raid damage in P3 so as long as you keep the tanks alive and have some dps alive he'll eventually die as long as people avoid the meteors.

Oh, if it helps, Aura Masterying a trap seems to prevent the knock-up from it. Not sure if that's guaranteed, but we had it happen a few times. Not necessary, but a nice perk since it's a good time for AM anyway.

edit: If you like vids, here was our first kill with vent :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRKJna2u99o
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Loras » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:35 pm

Winkle wrote:
Loras wrote:I am just a bit worried about 2nd transition phase. We are basically having only Tuesdays to train on Ragnaros on 10 man as Monday's our last 25-man raiding day for the week. Been training yesterday for a 2nd time on him, mastered the seeds phase, but didnt have time to train on 2nd transition phase. For the first one, though, we sometimes barely make it, and for the 2nd one we will have 1 Deathgrip less (from our DK tank who will have to go and pick up his add) and my 2 stuns (hammer + glyphed holy wrath) less cause I also need to pick up my add.

Firstly 1 tank can and probably should pick up both adds, secondly what stops you using HoJ and Wrath or the DK using Dgrip when tanking other adds?

They spawn at the opposite sides so it'll take some time to get them both. Also, nothing stops us from using those abilities, but that means using them later in the phase, not immediately (or not as precisely timed as you would do if you didn't have to bother with an add), which breaks up the formation, increases the chance of your long stun landing after another stun and suffering diminishing returns, etc etc. Small bits, but everything matters.
Loras

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:34 pm

frontallobe wrote:Great video Fuzzy. Thanks. After watching that I think we're pretty close to the kill. How many p3s did you see before you got the kill?

Three, I think. Twice the night before, then once the night of the kill, on the third pull.

The first time we saw P3, half the raid was dead during the transition due to supernova, the second time was "oh hey what's this" -- I think we had a couple people dead at that point as well. We killed it the first time we got a clean P3 transition that night. I think we had around 15 pulls on him in 10m over two days; we did some 25m pulls as well, and some pulls the previous week to take a look.

People just need to not panic; we intentionally knock boulders off high dps melee do they don't need to move.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Hrobertgar » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:37 am

I want to down this guy tonight. We got a few pulls last week, an a bunch last night, getting him to about 45% and wiping while trying to clean up the transition. But the earlier phases are getting fairly clean and consistent.

Its normally our last raid night for the week for this group so if we don't get him tonight it'll be next week, but we are feeling fairly close. Its funny, because our second group managed 5 bosses alst week and a few pulls on domo. If they beat domo then with 3 pallies (prot, ret, holy) able to glyph holy wrath for Rag adds should make it an interesting race between the two groups.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)