Remove Advertisements

Newbie Starter Questions

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Newbie Starter Questions

Postby rboa » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:44 pm

I am new to tanking and have not been able to find this info (it is probably too obvious :oops: )

A couple of things I was wondering about were:
1) which Seal to use for tanking
2) is devotion aura the best for za/zg heroics
3) when is the best time to use Guardian of Ancient Kings?
4) I use the Tidy Plates addon (to watch the mobs health bars), so the mob health bars are shown in the fighting area. What is the best way to target the attacked friendly and use Righteous Defense? (also same question with Hand of Salvation)
5) Should I ever use Holy Radiance?
6) When should I use Divine Shield?
7) Is Hammer of Wrath worth using or should I just stay on the normal 939 rotation?
rboa

Re: Newbie Starter Questions

Postby bldavis » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:47 pm

rboa wrote:I am new to tanking and have not been able to find this info (it is probably too obvious :oops: )

A couple of things I was wondering about were:
1) which Seal to use for tanking
2) is devotion aura the best for za/zg heroics
3) when is the best time to use Guardian of Ancient Kings?
4) I use the Tidy Plates addon (to watch the mobs health bars), so the mob health bars are shown in the fighting area. What is the best way to target the attacked friendly and use Righteous Defense? (also same question with Hand of Salvation)
5) Should I ever use Holy Radiance?
7) Is Hammer of Wrath worth using or should I just stay on the normal 939 rotation?

honestly, i am not a tankadin at max level right now (i have one but not active) but i can try to help
any active MTadins, pls feel free to correct me

1) truth (esp with glyph)

2) yes, until we are in T13 and MASSIVELY over gear it, then ret might be better. the worse geared you/r healer are the better that extra armor is

3) use it as a tanking cd, iow an OH SHIT! button .... or pref right before that OH SHIT moment

4) i use my raid frames with an aggro notice along with threat plates. you just set tidyplates to a tank setup (in options) and you can see who you are losing threat on, and then just have a macro setup for RD/HoS

5) honestly, i would only use it if you are helping keep the party up, or helping heal everyone up (think right before Anraphet in HoO or during feud on Chimeron)

6) as the ultimate OH SHIT button...if all the other cd's are on cd, and you are about to die

7) if its a tight dps race and you might not make it, then by all means use it, otherwise i would stick with 939

hope this helps

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby rboa » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:41 pm

Thanks so much for the info!
rboa

Postby econ21 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:24 am

To add to what Bldavis said:

rboa wrote:1) which Seal to use for tanking

Truth but keep insight handy if you have run low on mana (e.g. after consecration or holy radiance have got you into trouble). I also switch to it in a 5 man if my healer is down, for a bit more survival. And it seems very good for tough soloing (sounds an oxymoron, but I have died a few times in the firelands dailies).

I have set RD up to be my right click on vuhdo raid frames. It's about the only thing I really use vuhdo for - it was invaluable on chaotic Marrowgar trash in 25 mans. I seldom need it now. I don't use salv as much as I should.

The problem with the shield is that it drops aggro, so the boss eats your dps. You can postpone that by using a taunt but still. Also, it locks out lay on hands for a bit. I prefer lay on hands in most situations. The main use for divine shield is to wipe stacks of a debuff, e.g. from Halfus. You can use a macro to cancel the aura and cast the spell; google for the syntax. Press macro once for shield to wipe debuffs, press second time to cancel immunity and help you keep the boss on you.

Theck's latest numbers say put it as a filler part of your rotation, below AS but above J, Cons and HW.
econ21

Return to Basic Training & Talents