Remove Advertisements

Tablet Question

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Tablet Question

Postby Dane » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:50 pm

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/Middle ... 1/taylortg

Yes, I understand it has no optical drive. However...assuming I digitally downloaded WoW...how would it run on this, if at all?
Dane

Re: Tablet Question

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:23 pm

Processor
Intel® Atom™ Processor Z540 (1.86 GHz, 512 KB L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB)

Video/graphics
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 500

Poorly.

Well enough to check the AH and such, doubtfully viable for actual gameplay.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Dane » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:36 pm

Thanks for the quick response...that's actually mainly what I'd use it for...crafting and playing the AH while I'm away from my good comp (going back to school.)

Maybe I'll opt for one of the Droid tablets they're offering instead.
Dane

Postby Shamora » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:26 pm

Instead of running it on a tablet, run it on your computer and then use the tablet to remote into your computer and control it. Then you are limited more by your connection then you are by the tablets specs.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Warsong, Horde - <Orbit>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 90 Assassination Rogue
Shamora

Postby Dane » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:55 pm

Shamora wrote:Instead of running it on a tablet, run it on your computer and then use the tablet to remote into your computer and control it. Then you are limited more by your connection then you are by the tablets specs.

I'm listening...rather intently, I might add.

How would one accomplish this? Would it matter which tablet I were to get (currently between a PC, and a Droid, with an iPad in the distant running) If I were to tether it to my phone (my Palm Pre has a free Mobile Hotspot app that I use with my rooted Nook regularly) would that be enough for AHing/crafting (pretty sure it wouldn't work for gameplay, and not sure how seriously I want to play during classes anyway.
Dane

Postby Shamora » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:22 am

I have an iPad and there are a slew of apps that allow this. There are two types that I have found. The first kind are apps that use the Microsoft remote desktop protocol. Then there are apps that connect to you computer via a program you install on your computer before hand. I know Droid has these kinds of apps as well. For a PC tablet I would imagine you would be limited to MS remote desktop, but it works very well. They all, basically, just display your computer's display on your tablet. They all act a bit different so you would have to find what works for you.

I have personally used them on the home network and over the internet. The generally do not get the greatest frame rate so watching movies or actually playing a game are usually out of the question. Not sure what mobile speeds are like, but I would imagine it would be rather choppy. However, it should still allow you to roam around town out of danger.

Edit: This is honesty how I view my tablet now a days. Less as a personal computer and more as an extension of my desktop.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Warsong, Horde - <Orbit>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 90 Assassination Rogue
Shamora

Postby Dane » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:53 am

ok, one more question...sorry, but I just don't know enough about these.

http://shoplenovo.i2.com/SEUILibrary/co ... finity=aba

the above link is also an option...opinions on which I should opt for? Keep in mind, I'm not just asking for WoW, but for overall usage.
Dane

Postby OhpUldum » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:49 am

I prefer the Lenovo tablets due to their dual core tegra 2 processor which for overall use gives it a nice edge. The price is good too.
i3 550 @ 4.2Ghz | 8GB DDR3 | Asus P7P55D | Crossfire Radeon HD5770's | Windows 7 Ultimate 64 | Antec 600 | Hyperion 212+ | 4TB Storage
OhpUldum

Postby RedAces » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:04 am

Shamora wrote:Instead of running it on a tablet, run it on your computer and then use the tablet to remote into your computer and control it. Then you are limited more by your connection then you are by the tablets specs.

What software can do this? The windows remote desktop crashes games. Tried it with D2 with my laptop and my desktop. Did they change this?
RedAces

Postby OhpUldum » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:11 am

RedAces wrote:

What software can do this? The windows remote desktop crashes games. Tried it with D2 with my laptop and my desktop. Did they change this?

Any VNC application will work for this. A few suggestions are Google UltraVNC, and TightVNC.
i3 550 @ 4.2Ghz | 8GB DDR3 | Asus P7P55D | Crossfire Radeon HD5770's | Windows 7 Ultimate 64 | Antec 600 | Hyperion 212+ | 4TB Storage
OhpUldum

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:08 pm

I forgot had left WoW running on my desktop and RDed into it from my tablet -- much to my surprise WoW continued to run. Changing resolutions crashed WoW, but I could still re-launch. If I were to RD into my desktop first and then try to launch WoW, it used to give me error messages.

So the behaviour is inconsistent with Remote Desktop; tightVNC should work (albeit with horrible framerates).
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby thegreatheed » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:38 pm

OhpUldum wrote:I prefer the Lenovo tablets due to their dual core tegra 2 processor which for overall use gives it a nice edge. The price is good too.

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad ... ifications

The Asus transformer is my favorite tablet so far. Almost identical specs. The keyboard dock can like double it's battery life, along with giving it inputs/outputs, productivity (keyboard), etc.
thegreatheed

Return to Tech Stuff