Remove Advertisements

Questions for those that play Rift

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Questions for those that play Rift

Postby Aerron » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:11 am

Riftstalker does have a lot of mobility (teleports) and you'll feel like a ninja playing it. However, it is (usually) the rogue Tanking soul, so you can either use it for the mobility while focusing on Ranger, OR you can focus on RS and use Ranger for the DPS pet when you're able to go that deep in the tree.

I actually used Ranger with RS in my Rogue tanking role for just that reason. I had a ton of survivability and my pet would just annihilate the mob while I tanked it.

Heh, kind of the reverse of the regular Hunter/Pet relationship when you think about it.
Aerron

Postby Nothan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:10 pm

Well, I've grinded a lot of T1s on my cleric, but one bad T2 run with a bunch of elitists/dumbasses kind of ruined it for me. Excited to finally do a T2, I get Charmer's Caldera. We wiped on the elemental boss because I didn't realize it has some moving laser lines even though I mentioned I haven't done it before, but no one cared to mention it. No big deal, I see how the pattern is and we should definitely kill it next time. So we get back, and all ready to pull except they don't pull because the tank thinks I need to be full mana. I told him I would Aggressive Renewal on pull and I can chain cast my mana regen on melee attack spells so I won't have mana issues when I stagger the spells. He refuses and tells me to drink and I refuse saying I don't need to. The spec I run is a farming/soloing spec with decent dps single target and I never run out of mana, so I have never needed to carry water. Then he vote kicks me and says next time drink. I lol'ed. Not appreciating the fact I got kicked for the most retarded reason and dps queues take literally 1-2 hours, I pulled the boss and wiped them before I got kicked out. That was my single and only experience in a T2.

Needless to say, after all that grinding, I'm very bored of the cleric. I only use it to farm cloth. I leveled a rogue up and it's a lot more fun as a ranged dps ;)
Nothan

Postby Flex » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:10 am

Different game, same douches. Both you and the people who booted you from the group.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Firann » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:38 am

laterna wrote:In essence its the WoW engine slapped on with new characters and different values on the character mechanics. Healing is A LOT more potent here than in WoW, or damage is a lot lower (atleast upto lvl 40 from what I've seen in warfronts).

Now I'm taking a jab at you but i had to quote someone :)

This is the single comment I HATE that people make in respect of WoW vs Rift. Rift is NOT WoW engine with different models. Rift is actually WAR: Online. Its the same engine, same mechanics, same models, same EVERYTHING. The guys that made Rift, bought/licensed the War:online engine (i think Mythic licensed it from someone else as well) and just tweaked it a bit. Just a bit though. Everything is the same as WAR. The only difference the two games have are the way you choose a class (and their number) and the constant invasion waves.

Now in regards to how good it is.

It's quite fun (as fun as WAR if u liked it ;) ) however i canceled my sub after the free month not because of getting bored with the game, but because I had no one to play with. As with any MMOs its hard to switch from one to the other when you know in the old one you have loads of friends and on the other none!
Firann

Postby Aerron » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:38 am

Firann wrote:This is the single comment I HATE that people make in respect of WoW vs Rift. Rift is NOT WoW engine with different models. Rift is actually WAR: Online. Its the same engine, same mechanics, same models, same EVERYTHING. The guys that made Rift, bought/licensed the War:online engine (i think Mythic licensed it from someone else as well) and just tweaked it a bit. Just a bit though. Everything is the same as WAR. The only difference the two games have are the way you choose a class (and their number) and the constant invasion waves.

A few points here:

1) WAR wasn't that far of a cry from WoW in the first place. WAR was pretty derivative, the only real difference setting them apart being WAR's focus on PvP/RvR. Rift definitely does NOT have the same PvP/RvR focus and is much closer to WoW's PvE focus.

2) If you want to talk mechanics, we could go on for days comparing the three games to try and determine who got what from whom. For example, Rift uses the WoW Warrior's charge mechanic (which WAR never did), the Rift Warrior's "three sword" resource mechanic is much closer to WoW's Holy Power paladin mechanic than anything in WAR, and the combo point mechanic for both WoW and Rift Rogues is identical.

Now if we went the other way, could we find certain mechanics that are more similar to WAR in Rift? I'm sure we could. But again, that's because both WAR and Rift are pretty derivative (and WoW of course being derivative of older games.)

3) The primary similarity I see found only between Rift and WAR is the formation of public groups. Even then, Rift really does it better.
Aerron

Postby Gracerath » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:25 pm

I cancelled after 12 days. I still got 18 to go on the free month but I doubt I'll be playing it much.

Rift does public groups/quests better but WAR did them first, paving the way for a fantastic feature in MMO's that is only going to be made better and better over time. (ex. Rift now, Guild Wars 2 in the near future will be even better than Rift) That is typically how the evolution of MMO's work :)

I was suprised, but not really, when I did the very first uh.. pvp instance(warfront?) and it was pretty much the same thing as Mourkain Temple in WAR. Collect the "murder ball" and hold it for as long as possible while killing the opposing team. And then it was WAR without the collision detection as far as how it played out. The cleric I was playing had a very similar feel to the warrior priest in WAR. The mechanics weren't exactly the same but there was some similarities, such as having to melee to build up conviction points and then you can use those points to spend on special heals. (Say hello to the origination of Holy Power in WoW :P The Warrior Priest!)

Overall not a terrible game but not really different enough, in setting or mechanics to really hold my interest.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Astronomic » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:10 am

I thought the populations were just too low to really get a solid 20-man raid team together.. idk maybe that was jsut my server. Also PvP was VERY unbalanced, I could go in on my warrior and with a decent healer just annoy the crap out of them for minutes on end while on my chloro a rogue would just oblitorate me in a few seconds. Rift invasions were pretty cool, but I always felt the boses were too easy and repetative, at least they implemented more epic invasions to make up for this.
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby Punkss2 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:57 pm

Anyone still playing? Only reason I'm still playing is it's the only MMO my wife will accept that I am playing. No more WOW for me or I will be divorced paying child support for 2 kids. I was thinking Guild Wars 2 looks tempting. The no monthly subscription looks tempting.

I just wish Trion would stop retooling my class every couple of weeks.
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Postby Eltiana » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:22 pm

Punkss2 wrote:Anyone still playing? Only reason I'm still playing is it's the only MMO my wife will accept that I am playing. No more WOW for me or I will be divorced paying child support for 2 kids. I was thinking Guild Wars 2 looks tempting. The no monthly subscription looks tempting.

I just wish Trion would stop retooling my class every couple of weeks.

After having done a good amount of studying on Guild Wars 2, it definitely is the MMO that has my attention the most at the moment. Rift is certainly not a bad game, and Trion is doing a phenomenal amount of work to make it's player base happy, but it's essentially just WoW with dynamic events, while GW2 seems to be straying a good deal away from being just another WoW clone.
Eltiana

Postby Astronomic » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:45 am

Just started playin a bit of rift over the weekend for the first time in awhile after a friend of mine told me about the "half-year annivery" bonuses. Gotta say the people I run into in Rift's dungeon finder are much more friendly. In about 11 groups this weekend I only ran into 1 @$$hole.

After seeing the dev watercooler on mitigation I noticed that the rift tanks have alot of what blizz is trying to implement in terms of active mitigation. You have a move that increases your block, a move that lowers the enemies hit, a couple moves that can heal you a bit, a move to disarm the enemy, a finisher that increases block to 100% for a duration, and most of these are just part of the rotation.... ya I really think I like the rift tanking style more so wow's current model.
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby tullock » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:26 am

Yeah, the playstyle of my rift paladin/void knight/reaver was dramatically superior to that of my paladin or my warrior in wow, at least imho. Never felt like i was missing key tools, and there were silly amounts of utility/fun skills to switch around with the different third trees.
tullock
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to General