Remove Advertisements

Holy Shield appreciation thread

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Holy Shield appreciation thread

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:00 am

Cronus wrote:I didnt want to make a new thread since what I am about to say concerns Holy Shield.

I appreciate Holy Shield BUT NOT in its current state! I loved the Holy Shield of Burning Crusade, the main reason I started playing a Paladin (Horde for life). The ability to agro a shit ton of mobs and have them stick to you becuase of the all mighty Holy Shield. Everytime they hit you, Holy Shield deals damage back to them. It was iconic of all Paladins. Why did they take that from us?

Ok Blizzard, you have had your fun with Paladin changes now bring back Holy Shield the way it use to be. you cna leave out the part where we had to have it up for another 30% block IRC, but the part where it does damage back to the attacker. Awe, the way it use to sound as an attacker whould strike us and Holy Shield would bite back. I loved that sound! Heroic Shattered Halls anyone?

/End Rant

I'd have to say the whole reason I picked up a pally in the first place was the playstyle (and watching one solo ALL of the dueling mobs on one of the ledges outside BT.) I loved putting a shield spike on, running around with ret aura, and (for a while) the fiery splash enchant you get from one of the badlands quests. That combined with HS/consecration meant a lot of aoe damage, most of which I was doing passively. I know that's a big reason why blizz removed/changed a lot of things, because they didn't want tanks getting "free" threat, but damn was it fun!
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:28 am

Rokh wrote:30 sec cooldowns are a load of crap.
bound into crusader strike.. havent looked back.

You will be wasting it on tank swap fights if you macro HS to CS.

I quite like HS. Getting Rag swinging at you for 30k (31k blocked) is pretty awesome.

And one of the reasons I picked up my paladin was all of the flashy animation effects :)
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby theckhd » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:11 am

Skye1013 wrote:I know that's a big reason why blizz removed/changed a lot of things, because they didn't want tanks getting "free" threat, but damn was it fun!

It's not so much "free" threat that they minded, but completely passive threat. There are a number of design problems with having a big chunk of your threat happen automatically when someone hits you.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:31 am

Cronus wrote:I didnt want to make a new thread since what I am about to say concerns Holy Shield.

I appreciate Holy Shield BUT NOT in its current state! I loved the Holy Shield of Burning Crusade, the main reason I started playing a Paladin (Horde for life). The ability to agro a shit ton of mobs and have them stick to you becuase of the all mighty Holy Shield. Everytime they hit you, Holy Shield deals damage back to them. It was iconic of all Paladins. Why did they take that from us?

Ok Blizzard, you have had your fun with Paladin changes now bring back Holy Shield the way it use to be. you cna leave out the part where we had to have it up for another 30% block IRC, but the part where it does damage back to the attacker. Awe, the way it use to sound as an attacker whould strike us and Holy Shield would bite back. I loved that sound! Heroic Shattered Halls anyone?

/End Rant

I do not miss those days. Our class design now is infinitely superior to the nonsense we had to do in Burning Crusade.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Blackharon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:51 am

Sabindeus wrote:
I do not miss those days. Our class design now is infinitely superior to the nonsense we had to do in Burning Crusade.

Except for the fact that everything seems to be bubble-proof and the bubblehearth nerf I agree with the statement above.
The Cat's out of the bag!
Pickpawcket for iPhone and iPad
http://www.pickpawcket.com
Blackharon

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:09 am

Blackharon wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:

Except for the fact that everything seems to be bubble-proof and the bubblehearth nerf I agree with the statement above.

I totally agree with that from a personal standpoint. I liked when bubble was overpowered too. I can see why they're gradually nerfing it though.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Aerron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:19 am

theckhd wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:I know that's a big reason why blizz removed/changed a lot of things, because they didn't want tanks getting "free" threat, but damn was it fun!

It's not so much "free" threat that they minded, but completely passive threat. There are a number of design problems with having a big chunk of your threat happen automatically when someone hits you.

Thus why Retribution aura just seems to suck so bad?
Aerron

Postby Fetzie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:38 am

Blackharon wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=64457 says "hi, come grind outlands archaeology for me: I'm a 'hearthstone' with a 5 second cast time"
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Rokh » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:34 pm

Pyrea wrote:

I quite like HS. Getting Rag swinging at you for 30k (31k blocked) is pretty awesome.

And one of the reasons I picked up my paladin was all of the flashy animation effects :)

If you think about it, your only blocking an extra 12-15k extra or so, then count the fact that you prolly have a good 20-25% chance to dodge or parry, also count the fact the boss might not even attack you when you have it running (think rag when he turns for 2 seconds and shoots at people, or gatekeeper when he casts a crystal it takes a good 2-3 seconds to get back to you, or shannox spear throw is 2-3 sec cast time)

I am my guild raid leader, so it might just be that i already have alot to keep my eyes on, but IMO the total damage reduction from the new HS is not worth me sacrificing raid awareness to watch 1 more cooldown / timer than I already do.
Rokh

Postby masterpoobaa » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:45 pm

I would be nice if this talent had some use below level 80.
As it stands, an extra 20% block when you only block 5% of the time is close to meaningless. Until you hit 80, talent points should be spent elsewhere!
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Soloz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:15 pm

Oh man I didn't think I would like the change but man was a wrong it is a very powerful cd especially since I am block capped mmm loving it
Soloz

Postby Fetzie » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:03 am

Rokh wrote:
Pyrea wrote:

If you think about it, your only blocking an extra 12-15k extra or so, then count the fact that you prolly have a good 20-25% chance to dodge or parry, also count the fact the boss might not even attack you when you have it running (think rag when he turns for 2 seconds and shoots at people, or gatekeeper when he casts a crystal it takes a good 2-3 seconds to get back to you, or shannox spear throw is 2-3 sec cast time)

I am my guild raid leader, so it might just be that i already have alot to keep my eyes on, but IMO the total damage reduction from the new HS is not worth me sacrificing raid awareness to watch 1 more cooldown / timer than I already do.

When you are block capped, using Holy Shield basically has the same effect as hitting GoAK.

On Thursday I would have died had I not "saved" holy shield (healer got a meatball at rag and had to move, and my other cooldowns were already used, if I had taken another non-HS block I would have died at we would have wiped). If you feel you need to look at too many timers to keep an eye on HS, why not delegate that work?

Fetzie

Postby PsiVen » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:00 pm

It's not quite as good as GAnK since you're already getting 30% blocks... but it is very nice :) I enjoy HS now that I'm block capped, but I would still say that 90% of the time it gets used on cooldown because there's no better place for it. It lines up pretty well and makes a meaningful difference for constant rough damage intake: HS -> healers start falling behind after 20sec -> HS again to catch them up -> repeat. Naturally 40% block always would be even better, but that would be too good.

If you're sacrificing raid awareness to "watch cooldowns" you should reconsider your UI. Its purpose is to convey information efficiently, so tweak it until it does!
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Previous

Return to General