Hardware or software problem?

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Hardware or software problem?

Postby Echaa » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:33 pm

I posted this on the wow forums but didn't get any responses so hopefully I'll be more lucky here.
I built a gaming computer a little over a year ago and I've been having some problems with multiple mice.
Computer specs are:
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
ASUS Rampage II Gene (Micro ATX board)
Nvidia GTX 570
i7 920 @2.67GHz
6GB DDR3 RAM
Zonealarm Antivirus/firewall

The problem I'm having is that periodically, after some seemingly random amount of time the mouse will stop responding to movement on one or (rarely) both axes. Normally it stops responding to horizontal movement.

What I've done so far:
This initially happened to some generic Logitech mouse I was using. I figured the mouse was simply at the end of its life and seeing a Razer Lachesis on sale for $40 on Newegg, I grabbed it. The Logitech mouse now works just fine on a different computer. The Lachesis worked for a while and then began to show the same signs, gradually getting worse with time (over a few weeks). Some of the USB slots on my motherboard had a big of "wiggle-room" and I looked around on google and found some sites suggesting that it could be loose connections between the MB and the USB slots.I went out and bought a cheap PCIe x16 expansion card with 4 USB slots on it which seemed to temporarily fix the problem.

Unfortunately, even with the new USB card it started up again. I tried some troubleshooting and came up with some results:
-Switching another device (Keyboard, Nvidia 3D controller, Webcam) to the sme USB slot that the mouse was in does not result in the new device no longer working.
-Putting the mosue into a USB slot that worked for another device does not make the mouse work.
-Reinstalling drivers had no effect

I contacted Razer's support which eventually led me to sending my mouse in to the factory to be fixed. I'm not sure if they refurbished it or simply sent me a brand new one but from the looks of it they sent me a new one.

Recently I reinstalled my operating system which (unless its a driver compatibility issue) should rule out software issues.

I'm posting because since receiving the new mouse and reinstalling the OS I've had the old problem as before as well as s new one.

The new problem has been happening for some time now but the old has just restarted recently (about an hour or 2 ago). The new issue is that the mouse will frequently seem to lose its place and "reset" the position of the cursor the the center of the screen.

This is really starting to annoy the hell out of me and I've gone through 3mice already. If anyone has any idea whats going on or what could be causing this please let me know.
Echaa

Re: Hardware or software problem?

Postby laterna » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:01 am

Try updating your motherboard's BIOS, as well as checking the support forums for your mobo. Have you tried changing the USB slot its connected to? Also, try and see if the Lachesis has a history if such issues. I know razer's a good company, but that doesn't stop them from having issues.
laterna

Re: Hardware or software problem?

Postby gibborim » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:26 pm

laterna wrote:I know razer's a good company, but that doesn't stop them from having issues.

I have had some significant durability issues with Razer mice.
gibborim

Return to Tech Stuff